Fastpass return or replacement?

Can anyone remember how FP+ was rolled out when Disney transitioned from legacy FP to FP+? Was there a period of overlap between the two for a limited time. Or a period where guests staying at select resorts could do FP+ while day guests still did legacy FP? It's been so long since the transition that I don't remember how it was handled. Does anyone think that a rollout of the new system might be done in waves until Disney is confident that the load can be handled under real life situations?
I can see them rolling it out to guests with resort stays first and gradually introducing/offering it to offsite/locals.

I can see them rolling it out to guests with resort stays first and gradually introducing/offering it to offsite/locals.

I can see that too. Especially if it’s a new system, I have to imagine they would want to test it on a smaller group before they roll it out to everyone.

I remember my trip to Universal when I was probably 16. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and my parents let me and my sister, who was 14, go into the parks on our own. Obviously the hotel reservations came with unlimited express pass. We rode the Men in Black ride probably 10 times in a row. That, combined with the fact that you could hear music under the water at the pool at the Hard Rock Hotel, made that one of the best trips ever.

Only now do I realize the ungodly amount of money that trip cost my parents!

But I digress.
Simpler times!!

I can maybe see for a very limited time, but AP holders is a group I would be shocked if they were left out in the cold for too long. I expect this system is not a niche perk for big spenders, but intended as a popular perk for most users. The fastpass queues are too big a feature engineered into the park. The cost to modify all the queues would not be trivial. Honestly that maybe the biggest reason to get the FP system back online is to get people out of sun and public walk ways and back into their richly themed, often shaded, queue system.

I can maybe see for a very limited time, but AP holders is a group I would be shocked if they were left out in the cold for too long. I expect this system is not a niche perk for big spenders, but intended as a popular perk for most users. The fastpass queues are too big a feature engineered into the park. The cost to modify all the queues would not be trivial. Honestly that maybe the biggest reason to get the FP system back online is to get people out of sun and public walk ways and back into their richly themed, often shaded, queue system.
I agree. And when I used the word gradually, I meant as soon as possible. lol.

Interesting.... So instead of arguing about the new mask mandate, people will be talking about the new paid FP+ system... :rockband:
I imagine the mask mandate makes it less likely that they would introduce a new paid FP+ right now.

"It's super dangerous to come to the parks, but if you pay us more money you can go to a separate queue where you are not jammed in like sardines! Only the Poors have to die!"

Even if that argument is silly in many ways, it's not a good look as the kids say.

Yup! They can say something like “On site resort guests will receive early access to our brand new system, powered by the Genie app.”

I would expect AP holders to also be in that group.
I'm not so sure AP holders would be in the same group as onsite.
I think Disney would prioritize onsite guests first.

I imagine the mask mandate makes it less likely that they would introduce a new paid FP+ right now.

"It's super dangerous to come to the parks, but if you pay us more money you can go to a separate queue where you are not jammed in like sardines! Only the Poors have to die!"

Even if that argument is silly in many ways, it's not a good look as the kids say.

Great Point, but it depends on the dynamics of the system. Obviously the old system would be a non-issue. A hybrid system that provides a healthy portion if not all guests at least 1 free Fastpass would be a lot easier to defend than a system that is 100% paid.

You can enjoy Universal that same way.
meh.gif

With the new shots fired, I wouldn't doubt they stall on any FP.

History shows that lower crowds and distancing are the biggest weapons.

Some of our best trips ever where last winter with FoP walk ons (No FP needed) so....sounds good to me.

With the new shots fired, I wouldn't doubt they stall on any FP.

History shows that lower crowds and distancing are the biggest weapons.

Some of our best trips ever where last winter with FoP walk ons (No FP needed) so....sounds good to me.

The trick is can they get the toothpaste back in the tube. I doubt Disney will try to reduce guests with reserved Park Passes and try to convince them to cancel.

Are we all thinking it will still be 60 days? I had been hoping for 30 days so they could keep dining at 60 (but I also know a lot of people have been clamoring for dining to return to 180)
I would certainly hope that if there is a timeframe for making FPs, it wouldn’t be the same as for dining. What a cluster that would be! They would either have to move dining to 90 days out or make FPs at 45 or 30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter