Fearing 48 years of dues

It's OK to buy direct or resale. Just know what you are getting in each case and have an exit strategy in case life throws you a curve.

And, it’s very possible that selling sooner than that exit strategy could mean you lose money,

I have always said that if an emergency happens that one must sell, it’s more likely DVC and the loss is the least of your worries.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and input. Just made the call and bought 200pts at Riviera! Whoo hooo!

Congratulations!! Wear your mask, take your vitamins... Beware of Add-on-itis! It's real and it's highly infectious! :tongue:

Rental rates are linked to the cost for a renter to pay cash to Disney for the same reservation (or similar) because renters won’t pay you more to rent than they can pay Disney directly for the same room but with more cancellation options.

Don’t think anyone is saying the dues would be more than the cash stay so not sure what you mean with your final sentences.

The whole conversation is how easily you will be able to rent your points to cover MFs.

You pointed out that rental rates are only aligned vs cash and renters don't care what dues are. In the end I am saying they don't need to care because MFs won't be more than cash rates in any realistic outlook over the life of the contract.

Well, two rooms at the Dolphin are nowhere near the same amenities, or quality as a 2-bedroom villa at the Riviera. The OP's question/concern was about the dues, not trying to find the cheapest way to go to WDW, but perhaps I misread the post. It's been known to happen.

I 100% agree with you that you can find cheaper places to stay and go to WDW if that is the goal.
That, and you will never ever come close to getting those rooms for $179.

You may get lucky and see them listed for $179, but the actual price you’ll pay at that listed price is over $300.

That, and you will never ever come close to getting those rooms for $179.

You may get lucky and see them listed for $179, but the actual price you’ll pay at that listed price is over $300.
Exactly - I have 2 Dolphin stays this year and 8 stays over the past 10 years and I am a lifetime Bonvoy member - you do get upcharges and it is not the same deal as when it was a Starwood property. That is why I am buying DVC it is no longer worth it 90% of the times I shop. I will stay there without hesitation if it is cheaper and bank my points since I like the resort.

Im so excited and obsessed with buying into Riviera direct at 200 points. This would be our first contract. However, the idea of paying dues for 48 years ( and ultimately our kids, if they want to keep the contract), is what keeps us from making the call. Is there a way to think about it that makes it less scary?
We put aside money every month towards dues in it's own sinking fund... it's a line item in our budget. Feels more manageable in 12 chunks, and we get to keep our money in our account until they are due.

Nothing to fear. Just rent out points the years you don't want to stay and that will often cover the dues (and some)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter