Feb ‘24 edition: SEMI-LIVE solo dining adventures *Update 3/24 COMPLETE*

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I wasn’t sure I was going to do this dining review but have been dutifully taking photos so decided to go ahead.

I am at the parks solo for about 2 weeks (Feb 16-Mar 2) - I drove from Canada and have an AP. While I love rides, this trip is mostly about wandering around enjoying the live entertainment and general atmosphere with a few rides sprinkled in.

21554793-C997-4F93-855F-430248074B4B.jpeg

I posted a bunch of reviews last winter when DH and I fulfilled our long-held dreams of snowbirding in WDW with APs. https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...b-‘23-7-9-final-update.3906994/#post-64546128

He couldn’t see much, talk, or chew by that point - but still loved being at (and eating in) WDW. After battling cancer for 7 years, he passed away last July, filled with the kind of peace and joy only God can give. So thankful for our time in WDW and it continues to be my happy place.

F1329130-0A07-4944-B721-B620A2196694.jpeg

So I have come again to spend the winter here this year. Still swamped settling the estate so could only do a single 2.5 week trip this winter. My mom (75) and her friend, D (60s) piggybacked on my trip and are hanging out at the timeshare condos I booked (split-stay between Sheraton Vistana Resort and Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek) for about $100/night while I spend most of my time in the parks.

My taste in food is often influenced by how much it costs lol. I like good food, but like value for money more. And am a cheapskate. Although I have a few favourites I will splurge on. And obviously am obsessed with Disney enough to love eating onsite vs cheaper offsite places. I use discounted Disney gift cards to reduce my costs.

Last edited:
My first day, I was eager to hit up Epcot for the final 3 days of the Festival of the Arts - my favourite festival. I would have preferred to come at the end of January instead of mid February to have more time at FArts, but it took me a while to pull my travel schedule together due to working through my grief and estate matters (I loathe paperwork lol).

5ECC23F9-2C27-4A47-93D7-E8DBBCA61865.jpeg

My first stop was in Canada with my old popcorn bucket from October 2022. Decided to try maple popcorn for the first time.

D485B9E1-CF81-4B97-95CF-575CCA0BD582.jpeg

A7A70920-EE35-4983-BADB-A4F1CF9909BD.jpeg

At $2.25, it was DELICIOUS! A big step above regular caramel popcorn (I used to buy the tins at Christmas) primarily because it is so fresh. Now I understand why people rave.

Perfect snack for while waiting for the Disney on Broadway concert to start. I love Disney and Broadway so these shows always put a smile on my face and I try to go as often as possible. Spoiler alert: with only 3 days of concerts left, I watched 2 showings each of the 3 days!

Then I decided to try the Red Wine-braised Beef Short Rib with parsnip purée, broccolini, baby tomatoes, and balsamic glaze –$8.75
From Pastoral Palate (Germany)

430FABA1-E3F5-4676-B949-58775C6AD80A.jpeg

This was sadly disappointing. The beef was dry and a bit stringy - probably sat under a heat lamp too long.

I have trouble with festival food. It’s often expensive and I find it is more hit or miss than actually sitting down in a restaurant and getting served. I tend to prefer QS for grab and go food.

I had been craving Nine Dragons all night so finally made my way there at 6:30pm even though there were no ADRs available. No problems with walk-in…just a half hr wait.

I got the spicy honey crispy chicken for $23.

95CE4CDE-1105-4149-82CF-7E5FD70AF55F.jpeg

Very basic Chinese food. But they cook the chicken perfectly tender and the batter is delightfully crispy. Simple but very satisfying (just like my meal last year was). I have avoided Nine Dragons for over a dozen years as I get good Chinese food at home. But now I find it a reasonably priced, consistent TS restaurant in Epcot. It will stay in my rotation.

I was stuffed afterwards and rolled home.

The next day, I wasn’t too hungry when I made it to Epcot in the afternoon and decided a light FArts snack would do the trick.

Stopped in Gourmet Landscapes (Canada for Verjus-roasted Beetswith goat cheese, petite lettuce, blackberry gastrique, and spiced pecans –$5.50

884B17FA-BA22-4BDA-B7BE-C0F08626642C.jpeg

Mmmm - hit me in just the right spot, especially since I really like roasted beets. Fresh, yet earthy with a delightful combination of flavours and textures enhanced by lovely goat cheese. Really enjoyed the unexpected addition of flavourful mushrooms which gave a chewy bite. This is the type of food that handles festival plating well and is hard to ruin in the kiosks.

Later that night, I found myself at LesHalles Boulangerie-Patiserrie (bakery in France). I had the strawberry tart ($6.95) and a whole baguette ($3.95).

AB7E8E15-5AEC-40EA-A309-58C50D30408A.jpeg

I like bakeries and adore bread. Loved the pastry cream in the tart but wasn’t in the mood for strawberries. Wish they made this with mangoes/peaches.

The baguette was delicious and fresh. I asked the CM for “lots of butter” and laughed when he gave me this whole cup (we ended up using 3/4 of the butter here to finish the baguette over a couple of days). I brought home 2/3 of the baguette to share with Mom and D.

I’ve always loved having a cheap meal of bread and butter here. My family loves baguettes and I have tried them at many bakeries. These ones are really good. Not as good as the real Paris or baguettes I have had in Quebec, but definitely at a high standard. It’s a staple WDW fave for me.

The next day, I was back in Epcot and dinner today was a kids cheeseburger with onion rings and watermelon as my sides from Regal Eagle for $7.76 via mobile order.

8995C5E8-7B14-458A-8521-6DB162FDEA4D.jpeg

7F268BCB-73A1-4803-9003-29D3BCEE0DFC.jpeg

I ate sitting in line to enter Disney on Broadway. It’s not fancy, but hit the spot at a cheap price. I was still a bit hungry after though.

But didn’t end up eating anything but some more maple popcorn later on. While watching the 10th anniversary celebration of Aladdin on Broadway. So cool!!!

087B265A-BD61-448F-AFA8-D48036720903.jpeg

So nice to see you back and writing a dining review! Thank you in advance for sharing it all with us 😊
So glad to have you along again! 🥰 Last winter was such a special time at WDW with DH and we had a simply glorious time.Pretty much every single day we would look at each other and exclaim how grateful and amazed we were to have the chance to do it.

Sure we had to drive back to Canada each month for his treatment, but between August 2023 to March 2024, we got to go to WDW 6 times! Mostly only deciding on exact dates 1-3 days in advance of hitting the road for the 17hr drive since we could not plan far in advance with DH’s health.

Last edited:

Thanks for your solo dining report. And I'll bet you wouldn't expect someone to be glad to hear a negative review. But you've really helped me when you said you didn't enjoy the short rib in Germany. I had heard it was good, but when I was there a few weeks ago, I forgot completely to have it. I've been so sorry I didn't try it til I read how you found it. Now maybe it's best I didn't waste my money. And that honey crispy chicken looks delicious. We also enjoy Nine Dragons, but they took my go-to item (veggie fried rice) off the menu. I'll have to try this!
As someone who also orders kids meals a lot, I liked seeing your meal at Regal Eagle. How was it?

Thanks for your solo dining report. And I'll bet you wouldn't expect someone to be glad to hear a negative review. But you've really helped me when you said you didn't enjoy the short rib in Germany. I had heard it was good, but when I was there a few weeks ago, I forgot completely to have it. I've been so sorry I didn't try it til I read how you found it. Now maybe it's best I didn't waste my money. And that honey crispy chicken looks delicious. We also enjoy Nine Dragons, but they took my go-to item (veggie fried rice) off the menu. I'll have to try this!
As someone who also orders kids meals a lot, I liked seeing your meal at Regal Eagle. How was it?
We spent a day eating through the Festival of the Arts couple of years ago and found I only really liked half the food. The rest was just okay. We spent as much as eating at a signature - ouch!!!

So now I am more picky and only eat a bit here and there. The beef was pretty sad under the heat lamp. It’s not that expensive as these things go, but expensive enough I didn’t get enough value from it.

Usually my go-tos are Food and Wine’s filet mignon and lamb chop. The filet is not as good as Le Cellier (we actually had a portion from the booth and then immediately went in to the restaurant to order the filet mignon properly so we tested both one after the other lol), but gives a nice taste of it. Occasionally the filet at the kiosks are overcooked though. I’ve had the lamb chop a few times and they’ve always been perfect.

Nine Dragons is solid. My local Chinese joints (and panda express, etc) usually overcook breaded chicken so it was so lovely to get perfectly tender, juicy chicken that’s also breaded and fried (everything is better fried!). In future I would ask for more sauce as I am a sauce girl.

The kids cheeseburger from Regal Eagle was exactly what it was. A decent fast food cheeseburger. I added mayo and ketchup from the condiments bar. I missed having pickles/relish but they must have it somewhere if I had asked. It hit the spot as I was in a cheeseburger mood. It ramped up the value by being able to order substantial sides like onion rings. Can also get mac and cheese or fries, etc.

My next day, I made to Animal Kingdom about 1:30pm and was hungry after a very strenuous zumba class at my resort.

So I decided it was time to go to Yak and Yeti. I am a longtime Landry’s member and had a $25 birthday reward waiting for me. My favourite part is not having to make an ADR - just walk up for free priority seating. 10 mins later, I was at my table.

I decided to try something new on their seasonal menu - a seared tuna with sushi rice and vegetables.

6EF088DA-BE6B-4271-87C7-8E246DEF29B2.jpeg

It was really good and had a huge amount of tuna. Ultimately too much as I like tuna in smaller doses. This was also more cooked than I prefer (I like raw). I gave it my best effort but filled up and left a few pieces.

Also, there were no prices in the special menu and I assumed it would be about $27, like the dragon roll bowl which is very similar. It turned out to be entree priced at $38. Ouch. For the same price, I would have gotten the lamb shank.

8E96CBDD-2D1C-4AFD-9224-7CE1DA7F5D9B.jpeg

I finished off with the pineapple wontons (as I had thought this was a cheaper dish). Oh well, after my $25 birthday reward, it was still an ok $28.21.

I’m having a hard time with TS meals these days. This was $51 before discount. For $42, I could have had a whole all u can eat with salad, dessert and drink at Liberty Tree Tavern (btw, when did the “cheap” Sebastian’s Bistro become $38?!!). Or Boma dinner buffet for $52. I like finishing off with a dessert. Yak and Yeti used to be a more inexpensive TS meal. My bills are getting pretty high these days.

66BB67B1-4CCC-42B0-BDAC-6E79D25FF4E0.jpeg

Back to my Y&Y dessert - the famous pineapple cream cheese wontons. It really is good. But I am having sticker shock at $13.49. I am sure I will get it again in the future though.

I buy Landry’s gift cards from Sam’s Club and Costco for 20% off. So it still makes it more affordable to eat here.

Last edited:

I was pretty tired in the afternoon so mostly chilled out in AK, catching the bird show (which had a couple of slightly newer jokes) and It’s Tough to be a Bug. I always forget how reliant it is on special effects. Fun show.

Along the way, I grabbed a frozen coke but ran into a snafu. The CM said out loud $5.49 so I said ok and handed over my gift card. She probably said something after that I didn’t hear but I got a shock when I looked up to see my card had been charged $16.18. I immediately asked for a refund.

Apparently ONLY sell frozen coke in mixed drinks or in the souvenir sipper now (different from the past).

They had to call a supervisor to come to the location to process the refund. Then they asked her for special permission to sell me just the frozen coke. $5.49 is much better.

e5239fff-1f3d-4d66-91b1-8785308e8c62-jpeg.835844

I soon discovered a pavilion tucked away behind a screen of bushes, next to a trickling stream between Feathered Friends in Flight and Africa. Across from Mr Kamal’s fries. Must have been an old smoking spot. Perfect quiet place to with tables and stools to read my book and enjoy my frozen coke.

I left soon after and slept hard for nearly an hour in the villa before heading back to Hollywood Studios after dropping the ladies off at Disney Springs.

Ended up not eating again till I got back to the villa at 10pm when I chowed down on a small leftover taco the ladies had made.

I haven’t been able to eat as much as normal. Weird to have a smaller appetite. Still manage to munch on chips as a late night snack though.

Attachments

• E5239FFF-1F3D-4D66-91B1-8785308E8C62.jpeg
    E5239FFF-1F3D-4D66-91B1-8785308E8C62.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 469
So happy to see your report this morning. Great that you're back in WDW and that it remains a happy place for you with so many great memories. I think the baguette in France is the biggest "steal" and secret. I wish they'd do mobile order or have a baguette pick-up only line. :laughing: The Landry's card with the priority seating and annual birthday credit is such a great deal ... I hope it never goes away! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

I was so happy to see you start a new dining report. From everything you share, I feel like we are kindred dining spirits! And you and your DH's story really stayed with me, I have thought of you often when logging into the dining board.

Thank you for bringing us along with you. I am looking forward to following along! Totally agree about the TS prices, particularly when they're converted back into CAD. Our strategy this trip is sticking to buffet or family style TS with reservations around 11am so we can pay the breakfast price and it will get us through until dinner. Otherwise, counter service (particularly the kids meals) really are a decent deal!

So glad to see you posting! I read every bit of your previous report, and have hoped you are faring okay-ish.

So happy to see your report this morning. Great that you're back in WDW and that it remains a happy place for you with so many great memories. I think the baguette in France is the biggest "steal" and secret. I wish they'd do mobile order or have a baguette pick-up only line. :laughing: The Landry's card with the priority seating and annual birthday credit is such a great deal ... I hope it never goes away! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

The baguette is definitely my favourite! Always so yummy too.
That tuna at Y&Y looked great but $38!? 🤨
Yeah - I thought it was pretty wildly expensive. If I had realized, I would have gotten the lamb shank for a similar price.
I was so happy to see you start a new dining report. From everything you share, I feel like we are kindred dining spirits! And you and your DH's story really stayed with me, I have thought of you often when logging into the dining board.

Thank you for bringing us along with you. I am looking forward to following along! Totally agree about the TS prices, particularly when they're converted back into CAD. Our strategy this trip is sticking to buffet or family style TS with reservations around 11am so we can pay the breakfast price and it will get us through until dinner. Otherwise, counter service (particularly the kids meals) really are a decent deal!

Yay to having my kindred dining spirit along for the ride :)
So glad to see you posting! I read every bit of your previous report, and have hoped you are faring okay-ish.

Glad to have you back. We had quite a journey. I was thankful my first few months after DH’s death was filled with joy. After several months when things finally settled down and I was able to focus more on myself, I went through a more emotional period as the grief set in deeper. Cleared things out with a fair amount of tears as I mourned the life I had and the dreams of a future that would never be.

Now it has been almost 8 months and I can feel a significant difference in the intensity of my emotions. I still tear up occasionally, but it’s not as intense. I do like thinking and talking about DH and find little ways to remember and honour his memory from carrying a little Goofy Nuimo plushie around the parks to watching the harpist he liked so much.

I had a bit of a sad moment this afternoon at MK as I felt the grief of never going to be able to do the parks with my favourite person in the world. Will I continue like coming back solo? Will I want to mostly come with other people in the future? So many things I am still figuring out. The good thing is I still get a lot of enjoyment exploring things solo.

Unlike my mother who is also along for this trip. She likes being solo in the room/resort/pretty spot with her ukelele/sudoku/youtube. But doesn’t find wandering around/watching shows/going to the pool enjoyable solo - she likes company for all that. She has a friend, D along for this trip but their travel styles aren’t meshing super well. It’s not too bad though and they spend 50-75% of their time together.

I made it clear to them from the start that I would mostly be spending my time solo this trip. And more or less, I have been off by myself / in my room. Which works for me right now.

Unfortunately it turned out neither are comfortable driving here this time so my initial plan of their dropping me off at the parks while they went off on daytrips fizzled quickly. So now occasionally I readjust my plans so I can take them somewhere. And they bought the seasonal waterpark pass for $79 so I will be coming back in the afternoons to take them to Blizzard Beach (where I also want to go).

I tried dropping them off at Disney Springs while I hit up a park but they were done and asking to be picked up less than 2 hours later. So the next night, I took them on a skyliner crawl. Which was fun enough although I would have preferred to be solo.

Oh well. I’m still having a good time and the only sad thing is we just have four more days in Orlando left. (Although I still have to report on most of last week’s eating!)

How was Vistana? We will be there for 2 weeks in April, exactly 6 months after my DH broke his hip. It will be a different trip as he will be able to join me for part of a day, but doesn’t have the stamina right now to walk more than a mile. So far fiercely antagonistic to renting a wheelchair, or an ECV. I will be relying on Ubers.

My next day, I made to Animal Kingdom about 1:30pm and was hungry after a very strenuous zumba class at my resort.

So I decided it was time to go to Yak and Yeti. I am a longtime Landry’s member and had a $25 birthday reward waiting for me. My favourite part is not having to make an ADR - just walk up for free priority seating. 10 mins later, I was at my table.

I decided to try something new on their seasonal menu - a seared tuna with sushi rice and vegetables.

View attachment 835837

It was really good and had a huge amount of tuna. Ultimately too much as I like tuna in smaller doses. This was also more cooked than I prefer (I like raw). I gave it my best effort but filled up and left a few pieces.

Also, there were no prices in the special menu and I assumed it would be about $27, like the dragon roll bowl which is very similar. It turned out to be entree priced at $38. Ouch. For the same price, I would have gotten the lamb shank.

View attachment 835838

I finished off with the pineapple wontons (as I had thought this was a cheaper dish). Oh well, after my $25 birthday reward, it was still an ok $28.21.

I’m having a hard time with TS meals these days. This was $51 before discount. For $42, I could have had a whole all u can eat with salad, dessert and drink at Liberty Tree Tavern (btw, when did the “cheap” Sebastian’s Bistro become $38?!!). Or Boma dinner buffet for $52. I like finishing off with a dessert. Yak and Yeti used to be a more inexpensive TS meal. My bills are getting pretty high these days.

View attachment 835840

Back to my Y&Y dessert - the famous pineapple cream cheese wontons. It really is good. But I am having sticker shock at $13.49. I am sure I will get it again in the future though.

I buy Landry’s gift cards from Sam’s Club and Costco for 20% off. So it still makes it more affordable to eat here.
Loving your report, but you also just reminded me that I purchased a Landry’s GC many months ago, and I had completely forgotten about it! Thanks!

How was Vistana? We will be there for 2 weeks in April, exactly 6 months after my DH broke his hip. It will be a different trip as he will be able to join me for part of a day, but doesn’t have the stamina right now to walk more than a mile. So far fiercely antagonistic to renting a wheelchair, or an ECV. I will be relying on Ubers.

Sheraton Vistana Resort is really nice. (Vistana Villages us too - but further away).

I just moved to Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek so I’ll do a comparison.

Rooms - rooms are MUCH more spacious at Sheraton Vistana Resort. I didn’t notice much in the past but it was very obvious this trip. Otherwise, basic amenities are the same. Nice to have a front desk in each building at WBC but I handled almost everything by text at both. A nuisance to drive over to the lobby at Vistana when I needed more key cards though. Oh I should note that WBC uses magic band like wristbands for your room key card.

Walkability - WBC is compact enough to walk everywhere. Vistana we either had a long walk, used the free shuttles, or drove.

Grounds - way more lush and pretty landscaping at WBC. Vistana is nice enough with many little lakes everywhere. Pools are decent, but small. Anything larger is sectioned off so terrible for lap swimming.

Activities - WBC has tons of trivia, game shows, a free luau, decent live entertainment, and a million kids activities incl free minigolf. Only one cornhole tournament a week - no other sports competitions for active older kids / teens. Vistana has added soooo many fitness classes from yoga to dance fitness to aquafit to workout classes. Really catering to senior snowbirds with 2-3 classes every day.

Vistana has tennis, pickleball, and basketball courts as well as the ubiquitous shuffleboard. WBC only has table tennis, shuffleboard and cornhole (that I can think of). So Vistana wins in sports by far.

Vibe: WBC is lush, beautiful, music everywhere, great lazy river, and just lovely grounds to stroll in. Busy busy busy with young families everywhere. Vistana is mostly senior snowbirds staying several weeks or more with some young families sprinkled in. Much more laidback and calm. With more space. People at Vistana are sociable and ready to make friends. I have exchanged contact info with various people through many stays. WBC people are sociable too, but are usually there for shorter stays.

Location - Vistana is well situated within 10 mins or so of all the parks. During peak morning hours (9-11ish?), use the resort exit at the other end of the resort as the normal road can get very congested. Occasionally you’ll hit short stretches of traffic jams on returning back, but not on the way to the parks. WBC if course has the edge. It is slightly closer (only maybe 1-2 mins difference most trips) but avoids any traffic.

You’ll enjoy yourself at the Sheraton Vistana Resort. It’s close enough that it’s easy to pop into the parks quickly solo if your husband wants to rest.

It’s a bummer he is so adamant against a wheelchair/ECV. We brought a small portable rollator from home that was comfy enough to sit in and be pushed. At various times, myself, my husband, and my mother have sat in it whenever we have had needs.

My mother can walk pretty well, but has limited stamina. So I get her to use the wheelchair from the parking lot inside. Every once in a while, we park it while she walks around a land. She was reluctant at first but I pointed out there was no point she waste her energy walking the boring bits from the parking lot inside. Or other lengthy walks inside the park. That way she can save her energy to have fun.

DH also was hesitant at first so he would walk during our morning visit, nap, and then take the wheelchair at night when I noticed he tired more easily. Of course, as he deteriorated, he eventually had to use it full time.

Anyway, that’s my little lecture on the wonderful help mobility devices can be. Sure it was a bit more work for me to push him around - so worth it for the fun we were able to have together. So many good times we wouldn’t have been able to have if he was stubborn.

I am glad to see you posting a new trip report. Grief is a funny thing, how it pops up and varies. Hugs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter