Finished stay at Contemporary -- the good, the bad, the upended expectations

I love the CR and usually go over there once a trip just to hang out if nothing else. I agree with others about the re-themed Incredibles rooms (not a big fan). I think the lobby area was meant to be more spacious and that toy gift shop there along with everything else makes it feel crowded (I'd really like that gift shop moved). As much as I love the CR it's a resort that needs some work.

I don’t know what’s happening at the other resorts with their refurbishments, but YC also has a pocket door between the sink area & the tub/toilet. The regular door was replaced with the pocket door in their remodel in 2017.
Now that you say that, I do remember that there was a pocket door there but it seemed to fit/close better than the one in the CR or was thicker or more soundproofed so it didn't bother me as much as the one in the CR.

I don't recall any significant time difference in going thru monorail security at the Contemporary vs walking to MK and doing the security check there. They always seemed about the same to us. Maybe it depends on the time of day. We always thought our room was very quiet but can't recall which floor we were on. Never could hear any noise from below once we were in the room with the door closed. Found the room itself very quiet compared to many other hotels where you can hear the neighbor's TV or children making loud noises.

Last edited:
I’ve only stayed in the tower as an adult and then only for the very occasional treat of a club room for a few nights (12th floor, not 14th). We always stayed in the garden wings when I was younger (there were 2 wings on our first visits in the 80’s :goodvibes before BLT ) because they were a bit less expensive.

We really never noticed much noise in the tower room, but we had been given the advice to request a room above the shop area, away from Chef Mickey’s. We were lucky enough to get those requests granted. Perhaps the rooms on lower floors in the tower can be noisier? I don’t have any experience with rooms on those floors.

We enjoyed our semi-recent stay at the Contemporary garden wing. The CM's we met during our stay made a real effort to be exceptionally welcoming.

I agree the Garden wing is a longer walk, and that is why we didn't stay there previously, but our room had a nice view of the water, and we really appreciated that. It was fun to see all the boats going by our room.

Additionally, we liked that the parking was right outside our building. We had no trouble finding a shady parking spot, which is somewhat rare at WDW.

The Contemporary dates back to the early days of WDW. Whenever they renovate, they have to work with what they have. They also have to balance nostalgia with updating the hotel to current tastes, and also minimizing guest impact.

The fourth floor is perhaps a bit chaotic, but it has been modified a number of times over the years. It was laid out in the 1970's. I don't think the original designers could have predicted how busy it would be today.

The hotel room closets are a bit odd (location/size), but that is how they have always been.

The newer hotels were built according to modern tastes and preferences, plus all the knowledge WDW has acquired over the past 50 years. The people who designed AKL, knew that having an elaborate pool would be popular.

IMO, the charm of CR is understanding that it is a 50 year-old building.

I do not think the hotel is worth the current asking price, but it appears people are booking it.

We are staying at the Contemporary in a Garden Wing room in April. We have never stay at this resort before. I am a little nervous but it’s nice to read your review. It makes me feel a little better. Our normal go to resorts are WL,GF and Rivera.

We stayed in the North Wing a couple times when the kids were little. Both times we had first floor rooms, with the patio. It was great the kids could go out thru the patio to play.
We have 5 of us staying in one room and everyone is grown. It's going to be tight but if we get a first floor room with a patio that will make it better since I like to sit outside. Main reason for this short trip is to ride TRON so we wanted to be close to MK. We were going to stay GF but the walking path to MK is closed and I don't think it will be open when we go. Our trip is April 6-10th. Hopefully the pool rehab at Contemporary is complete by the time we go.

We have 5 of us staying in one room and everyone is grown. It's going to be tight but if we get a first floor room with a patio that will make it better since I like to sit outside. Main reason for this short trip is to ride TRON so we wanted to be close to MK. We were going to stay GF but the walking path to MK is closed and I don't think it will be open when we go. Our trip is April 6-10th. Hopefully the pool rehab at Contemporary is complete by the time we go.
The Contemporary rooms are very large. If I HAD to have 5 in a single room, that's probably the room I'd choose.

Funny story.....The carpeting in Contemporary rooms used to have an orange stripe, not straight but kind of squiggly. Being in construction related industries I always stepped over that stripe because it looked like an extension cord.

CR is noisy, but it's Disney-themed noise :smickey:

It's a hustle-bustle resort where a lot is going on. C'mon, you've got transportation running through your hotel 🚅 I wouldn't stay there if you want quiet, laid-back relaxation, but if you want to be in the middle of Disney 24/7, this is it 💥

Is the main pool there completely closed? What are they doing to it and how long will it be shut down?

Is the main pool there completely closed? What are they doing to it and how long will it be shut down?
From what has been reported by others, it looks like they are resurfacing/retiling it. The main feature pool and the two adjacent hot tubs are closed. I believe the smaller round bullseye pool is open. According to the website, the main pool is closed until “early April.”

From what has been reported by others, it looks like they are resurfacing/retiling it. The main feature pool and the two adjacent hot tubs are closed. I believe the smaller round bullseye pool is open. According to the website, the main pool is closed until “early April.”
I am hoping it will be complete by the time we are staying there. Our trip is 4/6-4/10.

Random question - is there anywhere in the garden wing to refil a refillable mug?

Not that I know of. We don’t do the mugs but I *think* you can at the quick service at the pool. Not in the building but quicker than going to contempo cafe.

I'd love to stay at the Contemporary again but not only is it out of budget but the mixed reviews have turned me off a little bit. Plus, without kids, the location to MK isn't as big of a deal as it is for a lot of people.

I'll still visit for a meal or if I need a break during a day at MK but I'll probably stay elsewhere.

I'd love to stay at the Contemporary again but not only is it out of budget but the mixed reviews have turned me off a little bit. Plus, without kids, the location to MK isn't as big of a deal as it is for a lot of people.

I'll still visit for a meal or if I need a break during a day at MK but I'll probably stay elsewhere.
I like the Lounge at the Steakhouse. That’s been enough to tell me the resort is not my vibe though. Like OP the monorail craziness is a definite sticking point but I can’t say the rooms hold much appeal to me as an adult. Maybe the monorail situation felt less cramped before they had to add security?

I like the Lounge at the Steakhouse. That’s been enough to tell me the resort is not my vibe though. Like OP the monorail craziness is a definite sticking point but I can’t say the rooms hold much appeal to me as an adult. Maybe the monorail situation felt less cramped before they had to add security?
Yeah I don't hate the look of the room itself but the price they are asking does not make it worth it.

It was my first resort stay way back when so there is some sentiment for me, but I'm not going to break the bank to stay there. I'm fine with getting my fix at one of the restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter