fireants

LKS -

I dunno which I'd rather take - the bees or the ants... Hmmmm... At least the bees make a noise and announce their presence!

The last time I washed my truck was bad - running all that water into the ground brought all the ants up and onto my legs. And of course, you don't know your legs are covered until they all bite at one time when the lead ant yells "FIRE!"

So - at Disney - one might also avoid freshly sprinklered areas. Basically - don't veer much off the path without being aware of the consequences. Eeeeek!

Yep, I got in the Fire Ants this past Saturday while fishing with my son. I know better, but wasn't paying attention. I'm lucky I don't get the whelts (sp) like some folks do, but the bites hang around for a week or so. Nasty little buggers.

There is a topical OTC med available at most drug stores and Walmart type places called Rhuli Gel. It is now made by the Band-aid people and is called an anti-itch gel.

The stuff is wonderful. If you put it on immediatly after a fireant bite (or mosquito, or whatever ), it causes the reaction to diminish and you don't get that month long pimply thing, it only lasts a day or two instead. It also works on poison ivy and oak and the rashy type things. It also works great on sea lice.

We keep ours in the refrigerator and it helps to sooth the rash/bite also.

I've used the Rhuli gel and it does work. We also keep a large bottle of Aloe gel. It is great on so many kinds of skin irritations - bites, rashes, burns, etc. My MIL has the plant and breaks off a piece when my kids get a boo-boo. They carry that piece in a plastic ziplock and squeeze a little liquid out on their boo-boo and they're happy campers. I tend to get rashes and use the gel to minimize the duration and flare-ups. This thread has reminded me to make sure I take a bottle of Aloe gel with us in the fall.

My dd got bit by fire ants while leaning on the wall outside of the Mexico pavilion in Epcot this past March. So be careful, they aren't always on the ground. Antihistamine works well with the itch and pain. I've been bit at home by fire ants before and had allergic reaction to them so I always go outdoors with my epipen now. One reason why they hurt so much is they all bite you at the same time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter