First ABD—Would appreciate any info on the Danube Christmas Market Cruise

Lola Granola

Earning My Ears
We just booked our first ABD and it’s a Danube Christmas cruise (December 2020–hope it happens). I’d appreciate any info or tips. Also, we are cold weather wimps. Thank you.

2 yrs ago my husband and I were on river cruise on the Danube for the Christmas markets - not ABD we were on Avalon
For the weather - layers are best and at the last minute I packed snow boots - a good decision not only for warmth but we had rain and snow on the trip. The Christmas markets were so much fun - Vienna was one of the next.

2 yrs ago my husband and I were on river cruise on the Danube for the Christmas markets - not ABD we were on Avalon
For the weather - layers are best and at the last minute I packed snow boots - a good decision not only for warmth but we had rain and snow on the trip. The Christmas markets were so much fun - Vienna was one of the next.

Thank you! I don’t really know snow very well so I’m basically off to google “snow boots.” Sounds like a good idea.

Following along! We've done a Rhine cruise (not ABD, Viking) and are seriously considering a Christmas Market one. I didn't realize ABD did river cruises....are they branded as such or are they under a different cruise line name?

Following along! We've done a Rhine cruise (not ABD, Viking) and are seriously considering a Christmas Market one. I didn't realize ABD did river cruises....are they branded as such or are they under a different cruise line name?
They are branded as ABD river cruises. The actual cruise ships are AmaWaterways ships that ABD leases for the whole cruise. Beautiful ships and amazing crews. ABD provides all the excursions as well as some onboard activities, and the Adventure Guides (up to 8) will also frequently act as the cruise director. Everyone on those cruises is taking the ABD. It's not an add-on like with DCL.

You can see the itineraries at the ABD website, under their "Cruises" tab at the top of the page. Or under river cruises on the trip selector page

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/trip-selector/river-cruise/

Sayhello

We bought my parents, as their 30th wedding anniversary, onto the 2019 Danube Christmas Market ABD. They loved it. They recommend extra days at both ends as both cities were amazing. Weather requires layers. Some rain. My parents bought appropriate currency for markets, because they don't do a lot of credit. Leave some suitcase space and bring some bubble wrap for breakables.

We went on the AMA Danube river cruise last year, but not ABD. It was really fun, but really cold and pretty rainy. Be sure to bring long underwear, warm socks and very appropriate shoes. I did not think many people really dressed up for dinner like a normal cruise, which is good because you really need practical clothes to deal with the elements. They did provide umbrellas, but we still liked having our small foldable umbrellas. It is lots of fun, the crew is great, and the markets are so charming. They do get a bit repetitive after a while. You will have tons of goodies you purchase so I recommend an extra foldable bag and the bubble wrap is a great idea. I have an entire collection of mugs from all the markets and I just adore them. Have a great time, hope it goes.

We did a Christmas Market Cruise along the Danube a couple of years ago on Viking. Very nice itinerary. I'd agree with pretty much all the comments above. Vienna was probably the best market, but they were all good.

Weather wise, yes it was cold. Especially as we now live in FL. Bring warm clothes but layers. Sturdy shoes are a must.

We were leaning towards the Russian cruise, but now can't decide between that and the Christmas Markets....we sorta wanted a longer trip (on the boat, not a few nights before &/or after) which is why the Russian or Eastern European appealed to us.
So many choices! Waiting till they let us germy Americans in to pull the trigger on a trip.

Have fun! I hope you guys get to go. We were booked on one of the December 2020 sailings but cancelled. It looks incredible :)

We bought my parents, as their 30th wedding anniversary, onto the 2019 Danube Christmas Market ABD. They loved it. They recommend extra days at both ends as both cities were amazing.

Most excellent advice. We regretted not being able to properly explore Budapest. We were on the boat the day after we landed. We corrected that with our Rhine river cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter