First DVC Resale Contract for The Villas at Disneyland Hotel

I like the walk through downtown Disney. The music, the food smells, the people. We go a lot and don’t think I’ve encountered any meandering people ( it is a shopping and dining district). It’s also just 10 mins to the to the gate (although from the amount of complaining I see on this site you’d think it was an hour walk uphill both ways). Monorail is always an option and is about 1-2 min walk if that from security. If you’re going to DCA exit out the back of the frontier tower, walk down paradise, cross the street, enter the Pixar gate and your in the park in 5-6 mins.
Is this the Pixar Gate Entrance you are referencing? We have a DL VDH trip in February and was thinking of taking this entrance.

in the video the sign states it’s a private entrance for Pixar Hotel guests and your room key is needed to open the door. Will our VDH key work?

Is this the Pixar Gate Entrance you are referencing? We have a DL VDH trip in February and was thinking of taking this entrance.

in the video the sign states it’s a private entrance for Pixar Hotel guests and your room key is needed to open the door. Will our VDH key work?

Yes, DLH and GCH keys also work for that gate. DLH and PPH keys will also open the pedestrian gate to GCH if you want to use the regular GCH entrance to DCA.

Don beat me to it, but yes the Pixar Gate, any DLR resort hotel key will open the gate. I highly recommend using that entrance. We haven't tried early entry at that gate so I don't know what its like at opening, but any other time of day its a breeze. It's a quick walk from the VDH tower. Perfect way to leave if you end the day at DCA as well.

Don beat me to it, but yes the Pixar Gate, any DLR resort hotel key will open the gate. I highly recommend using that entrance. We haven't tried early entry at that gate so I don't know what its like at opening, but any other time of day its a breeze. It's a quick walk from the VDH tower. Perfect way to leave if you end the day at DCA as well.
Crazy thing, I remember our last stay some years ago at VGC and watching construction of the gate entrance. Didn’t know at the time it would be a new entrance. Thought it odd watching them at the time and wondering what they were doing.

Who wants to be brave and test it for Early Entry?! I have been curious if the process is different.

I don't know that it would take much to brave it. If it's not open for early entry, or the line is long, then the walk through the Grand Cal is only about 5 minutes further, and you'd just be right where you would be if the Pixar gate didn't exist.
Great point!!!

Who wants to be brave and test it for Early Entry?! I have been curious if the process is different.

We have had 2 rooms at VGC overlooking the gate in the last 6 months or so. The line starts early (probably by 6:45) and does get kind of long. But it also clears quickly. We have gone in that gate about 7:45 in th morning so about halfway through EE and have maybe 1 family in front of us.

We have used this plenty of times for EE, and the teenagers in our party have used it themselves when the hubs and I are early-morninged out. Some days there’s a line and some not much to contend with, but it’s always been easy-peasy to get through regardless. It’ll be interesting to see how this is affected with the upcoming EE changes in January though. 😕

FWIW, we've been booking and staying at VDH using our SSR points. For context, we had never stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before having/using VDH. Not happy about the TOT and we often discuss the apparent "double taxation issue" as we grumble among ourselves ... but we are still booking it. Sure, I'd far prefer booking the VGC (and do book it as often as I can find it). We tend to consume 2n/month between the two locations during the 8-9 "safe" months of our UY.

My bigger problem with VDH is having to walk through Downtown Disney. I'm just about ready to quit that practice and resort to "crossing the street" at the Grand Cal. I really hate Downtown Disney for its noise, crowds, and the (failed) traffic patterns of how guests move through the space. (They don't walk with purpose ... they meander and frequently stop right in front of you or pull a crazy Ivan turnaround ... ugh. I just want to walk-with-purpose and get through the awful space to my destination. Where is the "fast lane" through DD?)

Strangely, I find myself preferring the walk along Harbor to one of my off-site, nearby, timeshares over walking between DL and VDH. (In my heart, I find myself disliking VDH more for its location than for its nuisance taxation.)

EDITED TO ADD: I s'pose this begs the question, "So why do you use your DVC points at VDH?" My only answer is because, "We already have the points. Gotta use them somewhere." We are nearly 20 years into DVC. Our original purpose for buying the points is done and we are now in the position of "having to use the points." DLR is close enough to visit frequently. Disney has us by the pursestrings, right? Because we have DVC and must go ... we also have an Annual Pass ("Magic Key") so that we can go. But it you hold the Annual Pass, you feel you must get full value from that pass ... it becomes a vicious cycle. Again, Disney has us where they want us ... and thus far, it isn't so unpleasant as to warrant selling all/some of our DVC points. (Getting close ... but not yet crossed that line.)
At what year-mark do owners generally transition from “owning DVC because they love to go” to “we have DVC and must go”? And I'm assuming not everyone goes through this stage or do they?

Seems like each time there is a new resort, new restriction or any change to extras… there’s backlash about how dvc is no longer worth it. When I was first introduced to dvc back in 2013/2014 people were still upset by the 2011 resale restrictions. Then there was the membership extra exemptions. People were appalled by the offering Grand Floridian Villas at $145 and the higher point charts. much was debated on lack of dvc value back then.

When we purchased Aulani subsidized many owners were so thankful they had the opportunity to give their contracts back to dvd and get full refunds in lieu of keeping the subsidized contract. I read so many posts about what a rip off Aulani was with the tat and how the subsidy would go away…. Now years later I get a real thrill from using subsidized Aulani points for the 16 points per night hotel rooms with free parking.

Contracts purchased at initial offer and paid in cash vs finance are a fantastic savings as long as kept a few years.

Granted my Rivera contract is not currently worth what I paid for it but I can still easily walk away from it whole. I think it’s given me points since 2019 so even compared to renting those several years of points vs cash rate comparison I’m made whole if I chose to sell today.

I appreciate the debate over the value but I definitely see ever increasing value with Disneyland hotel villas. Having stayed on and off property for over 30 years now, the Disneyland Hotel was always my very favorite. To now get to stay at Disneyland Hotel villas for not much more than off property is a win.
I love insights like these from experienced owners that have perspective. I too agree that over time, the value of VDH will be there as DLR expands and the cost of other hotels inevitably rise. We bought our Aulani sub contract only a couple of years ago and has already become our favorite contract for the low dues and the ability to score the low-point hotel rooms. I still can’t see the value proposition for owning Riviera but perhaps it’s because the hotel just doesn’t speak to me. But if it does, and you can afford it, why not. I would to be able to book the SV rooms at 11 months.

At what year-mark do owners generally transition from “owning DVC because they love to go” to “we have DVC and must go”? And I'm assuming not everyone goes through this stage or do they?
There’s also “we have DVC, don’t feel like going right now so we can rent out our points and use the money to go somewhere else” for those so inclined.

Ah, but we never bought DVC "because we love to go." We've owned for almost 20 years (May 2004) but our purchase is tied to an annual tech conference, held at WDW, that was important to us for ~20 years. Once the conference moved from WDW to Las Vegas ... we found ourselves, "having to use the points." (We only bought DVC as the employer quit paying for our conference attendance. Once we had to pay from personal funds, we found it more economical and pleasant to have/use DVC than pay hotel rates.)

So ... we were "out there, on the fringe" of DVC use from the beginning.

That said, Disneyland is part of the SoCal culture, we were practically raised in the parks ... so going frequently isn't out of the norm around here. Those APs are a form of "local's tax", sorta?? Of course we have them? So we go ... and nobody really cares either way. (As stated elsewhere in this thread, I think, I *do* enjoy the dining options. We live far outside town ... and have no local dining options. I mean, we have nothing ... but grapes and horses. So going just for the sake of "walking to dining" is a happy thing.)

Last edited:
Every owner is different. We signed the papers 26 years ago last month, and we’re still not there. We might have been getting close, then along came a new grandbaby!

I have read a lot of this thread but haven't seen it, did this resale contract ever sell and for what price? Any other sales that have been confirmed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter