• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First MNSSHP - Oversold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather go to a packed party than a rainy night party.
The weather at the first party was lovely. I wish I was there.

The weather was exceedingly hot and humid - like, sweat-rolling-down-your back-when-standing-still humid. It was quite far from lovely. I admit that the weather - which, of course, is beyond Disney’s control - contributed to my negative experience. Ninety-some degrees in a packed area is worse than either on its own.

In the end, we all have to remember that Disney is a company. It is a company that normally does a great job at customer service. Having said that, every once in a while, they can stumble.

In my view, Disney has effectively built a fifth park for no infrastructure cost. There are 67 nights this year when all of the “normal” ticket holders (regular x-day tickets, annual passes, etc.) are all asked to leave. Then with 11 Disney After Hours, 34 MNSSHP, and 22 MVMCP events, they basically added a whole new park. Or you can look at it as they added 67 more days to the calendar, ones that are blacked out to everyone with any type of ticket.

The next situation, how to make the most money. Remember, Disney is a company, and their job is to create value for their shareholders. So, to make more money, they basically have three ways. Charge more, admit more, have more opportunities. So, you charge little more until you see how much you can actually charge. Can you charge as much for a three hour event as you can for an entire day? Then, how many can you admit before you start turning people off? Obviously part of this equation has to do with how many things you have for people to do. The more you have, the more people can do, and in theory, the less they would need to wait. One thousand people on a ride that handles one thousand people per hour means the last people would be waiting an hour. Two similar rides means a half hour wait. Two rides, a parade to watch, and a couple of lines for some meet and greets cuts that time per event even lower. If a ride that handles thousands of people per hour is unavailable, you need to find something to replace that, otherwise all the rest of your lines go up.

Then there are the number of opportunities. Sounds like there are two more MNSSHP this year than last year. Last year was 3 more than the year before, which was up from the 25 dates in 2015. Of course, that was even way up from the 15 nights in 2005, the 10 nights in 2003, and the 5 nights in 2001. Also remember the first parties were less than $20 per ticket.

I expect the number of opportunities will continue to grow. There has been the Star Wars: Galactic Nights one night this year and one night last year. I suspect that there may be more of these as the Star Wars are of Hollywood Studios begins to open. No reason not to, these events appear to have been an overall success.

There will always be people who love these events, and there will be those that feel they are not worth the money. They can only grow the number of opportunities so far, there are only so many days between Halloween and Christmas, even if you had a Christmas party every night, it can only last so long. And yes, for many it is hard to think about Halloween in mid-August when it is still in the 90s.

Which is why I can see other types of events being created and expanded. Imagine Mickey and the Easter Bunny Party, expanding the Star Wars Galactic Nights, or creating a special spend the evening with the Na’vi on Pandora, especially when it gets closer to the release dates for Avatar 2 and Avatar 3. They already did the H2O Glow nights at the water park this year as well.

Point being, I think not only are these hard ticket events here to stay, I think they will be expanded upon, and expanded to all the parks.

I’m not trying to be snarky at all, but what do they promise? Everything I see they advertise centers on special events at the party. It doesn’t state anywhere that I have found that one should expect lower crowds (than earlier in the day).

It isn’t snarky to ask. But some on here seem to be assuming that the complaints are specifically about a lack of “low crowds.” That is not my complaint. My complaint is that there were too many people there - whatever the actual number - to allow me to enjoy the special events of the party. Snack carts had lines 30 people deep. Magic shots had long lines. The character lines were so full they shut down early. It was difficult to get a view of even the second parade. Hey - everyone’s tolerance or acceptance of “busy” is different. But IMO this party was too busy to provide a quality experience to the party guests.

There is an implication that the parties will allow access to attractions, characters and shows that are not oppressive waits. Is this blatantly spelled out? No, however Disney has done a great job of suggesting that there will be lower crowds and easier access to rare characters. I realize that without this in writing Disney may be able to send dissatisfied guests to pound sand but there is a price to pay if that is anything other than an anomaly. If Disney wants to close the MK early 4 times a week for the better part of 4 months running they better offer those folks filling the gap an experience that is worth paying for.

I think the problem lies more with message boards (here) and other blogs that give the expectation that the parties won't be crowded. When I went to my first-ever party I was shocked at how crowded it was. This isn't what I read online (from non-disney sources), I thought. I keep going back and the parties are consistently busy and crowded... I still enjoy them, but my expectation for a low party attendance was set by disboards and other blogs, not by Disney themselves...

I'm by no means a WDW apologist, but I don't think this one is their fault. People remember back to when parties were not crowded, post online all about that, and people expect that to be the case now-a-days... and it's not. Since 2016, I have been to 4 parties and all of them were crazy crowded. It's how it always is... I (and many, many others) keep coming back because I enjoy the unique entertainment (that WDW does highly promote). But I totally understand why someone else would not find value given the high crowds...

If low park attendance is important, something like Disney After Hours or Early Morning Magic is the way to go. Not a party. In those events (DAH and EMM), Disney DOES advertise low crowds...

There is an implication that the parties will allow access to attractions, characters and shows that are not oppressive waits.

I disagree. If you read through the description of the party on Disney's website NOWHERE does it mention or infer low crowds. They do advertise the special entertainment, trick or treating, unique characters, special magic shots, etc...but nothing about crowd levels. The expectation of low crowds comes from non-Disney sources and perhaps the assumption that an "exclusive" (read: expensive) ticketed event will mean less people. I have yet to see Disney imply in any media source that the parties will have low crowds.

Last edited:

My complaint is that there were too many people there - whatever the actual number - to allow me to enjoy the special events of the party. Snack carts had lines 30 people deep. Magic shots had long lines. The character lines were so full they shut down early. It was difficult to get a view of even the second parade. Hey - everyone’s tolerance or acceptance of “busy” is different. But IMO this party was too busy to provide a quality experience to the party guests.

I think it's a matter of personal perception and personal experience. I don't (ever) do rides at a Party because without FP, I find it takes more time during a party for the rides. But I have not had a problem seeing characters and doing the parade and fireworks (and get some treats). But like everything else at WDW, there is always more to do in one day than I can accomplish. That is why I keep going back!

Over-crowding is a very valid point, especially for an event like this.

I'm going on Tues. Oct 2nd. I hope it won't be crazy busy that day.

But I kinda wish now that I had read these reviews before buying my ticket.
It's better not be crazy busy because i will be there too!

The first & last Halloween party I went to was mid October 13 years ago. I remember it being crazy crowded and insanely hot. Add to that I spent most of the night carrying my friends 4 year old who was wearing a huge, fluffy princess dress. I remember trying to figure our what was fun about it.

That being said she still remembers meeting jasmin and still says "happy Halloween BOO"

It isn’t snarky to ask. But some on here seem to be assuming that the complaints are specifically about a lack of “low crowds.” That is not my complaint. My complaint is that there were too many people there - whatever the actual number - to allow me to enjoy the special events of the party. Snack carts had lines 30 people deep. Magic shots had long lines. The character lines were so full they shut down early. It was difficult to get a view of even the second parade. Hey - everyone’s tolerance or acceptance of “busy” is different. But IMO this party was too busy to provide a quality experience to the party guests.

I guess it's just semantics, but it seems to be your complaint is about the "lack of low crowds." If there were too many people there for you to enjoy the special events, then it was too crowded, there was a "lack of low crowds." The snack carts, the magic shots, the characters, the parade all had too many people around them, and to me, that means it was significantly lacking in low crowds.

I think the 1st party is always over crowded because of bloggers and media. They want to get their content updated ASAP so 1st party is going to have every local blogger there

We attended the first party last Friday too. I expected crowds and heat, but man, it was just packed. We had a hard time seeing the parade despite 2 attempts. Sure, some rides had very short lines but we really wanted to experience the special things that the party had to offer. It was hard to do. I’m glad we went, and I was very happy it didn’t rain, but probably won’t do it again. Future parties might be better as far as crowds go. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

I agree. And the experience was completely different from the only other party I'd ever attended just last year. So, I've learned a lesson.

Too many people is too many people. Whether we call it lack of low crowds, or lines that were too long to allow for reasonable enjoyment of party activities, or character M&G, or whatever. Disney may never allow hard numbers to be released, and Disney may never really tell you what the promised experience is, however if a family shells out in excess of $600.00 or for my crew over $800.00, there is an expectation of some sort of value. You hit the nail on the head when you say " this party was too busy to provide a quality experience to the party guests."
I know I would be taking that walk to GS to express my dissatisfaction.

I think the problem lies more with message boards (here) and other blogs that give the expectation that the parties won't be crowded. When I went to my first-ever party I was shocked at how crowded it was. This isn't what I read online (from non-disney sources), I thought. I keep going back and the parties are consistently busy and crowded... I still enjoy them, but my expectation for a low party attendance was set by disboards and other blogs, not by Disney themselves...

I'm by no means a WDW apologist, but I don't think this one is their fault. People remember back to when parties were not crowded, post online all about that, and people expect that to be the case now-a-days... and it's not. Since 2016, I have been to 4 parties and all of them were crazy crowded. It's how it always is... I (and many, many others) keep coming back because I enjoy the unique entertainment (that WDW does highly promote). But I totally understand why someone else would not find value given the high crowds...

If low park attendance is important, something like Disney After Hours or Early Morning Magic is the way to go. Not a party. In those events (DAH and EMM), Disney DOES advertise low crowds...

I am not in agreement with you, however I think if most people who are buying the tickets and are okay with the crowd levels then Disney will not need to make any adjustments in how they run the parties. They will not need to have more kiosks open, manage their attractions queues, or offer additional M&G for characters interactions.

I disagree. If you read through the description of the party on Disney's website NOWHERE does it mention or infer low crowds. They do advertise the special entertainment, trick or treating, unique characters, special magic shots, etc...but nothing about crowd levels. The expectation of low crowds comes from non-Disney sources and perhaps the assumption that an "exclusive" (read: expensive) ticketed event will mean less people. I have yet to see Disney imply in any media source that the parties will have low crowds.

I cannot argue with you, however I also do not agree. The message may not be in writing, but the marketing is pretty convincing.

I think it's a matter of personal perception and personal experience. I don't (ever) do rides at a Party because without FP, I find it takes more time during a party for the rides. But I have not had a problem seeing characters and doing the parade and fireworks (and get some treats). But like everything else at WDW, there is always more to do in one day than I can accomplish. That is why I keep going back!

Yes this! We couldn't even get water without standing in a line that was less than 30 minutes long!

That was our plan as well, but you couldn't do anything without a 30 minute plus wait. this includes trying to buy bottled water. We ended up riding some of the kiddie rides with shorter wait times because all of the party stuff was just too busy.

I guess it's just semantics, but it seems to be your complaint is about the "lack of low crowds." If there were too many people there for you to enjoy the special events, then it was too crowded, there was a "lack of low crowds." The snack carts, the magic shots, the characters, the parade all had too many people around them, and to me, that means it was significantly lacking in low crowds.

Okay.

It was lacking in:
Low crowds
Moderate crowds
Middling crowds
Typical crowds
Reasonable crowds
Feasible crowds
Fair crowds
Workable crowds
Sensible crowds
Generous crowds
Somewhat large crowds
Slightly big crowds

There is a lot of room between “low crowds” and the crowds at this party. No matter how many times the term “low crowds” is thrown out, it isn’t going to be an accurate reflection of what I am talking about, what I expected, or what I would have needed to enjoy the party.

I can only give a personal reaction but we were at the party and thought the crowds were ridiculous. It felt as busy as mid-day. There were long lines for everything, including rides (and it didn’t help that the Mine Train was down).

I heard people complaining everywhere. I spoke with several party veterans (while waiting in long lines) who said they had never seen party crowds like this.

My research had assured me that crowds would fall off as it got later. Nope - the second parade was packed.

One of my sons left at 8:30 because he just couldn’t take the crowds. We splurged on the party after years of thinking about it. It was a huge disappointment.

I give up on convincing people that the goal in attending the Halloween party wasn’t low crowds or some desire for short ride lines. I used 28 fastpasses at the MK on Tuesday. Ride lines are not the issue.

It's just confusing because your entire first post was a complaint about the crowds.

But the point is you were unhappy and that's that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter