First RCL cruise - try specialty restaurants? Or stick to MDRs?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
Myself, DH, and college-age DS and DD are going on our first non-DCL cruise over the kids' Christmas Break. We're really looking forward to trying Royal! We have 4-9 DCL cruises under our belts, so aren't newbs in general to cruising.

Food is an important part of any vacation for us. I wouldn't call us "foodies" (what the heck does that mean, anyway?). But I cook at home from scratch 5+ nights a week. DD is a budding pastry chef. When we do eat out, it's virtually never fast food, usually a locally-owned restaurant or a mid-to-upscale chain (Bonefish Grill, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc.).

That said, we've always been happy with the MDR on DCL. We enjoy eating at Palo once or twice a cruise, never felt the need to splurge on Remy's. So I'm torn about our first cruise on Royal. The overall vacation is at the high end of our typical budget, but we pretty much have to go over their break or not go at all.

Should we try the additional-cost restaurants? Or do you think we'll be happy with the MDR for dinners?

Myself, DH, and college-age DS and DD are going on our first non-DCL cruise over the kids' Christmas Break. We're really looking forward to trying Royal! We have 4-9 DCL cruises under our belts, so aren't newbs in general to cruising.

Food is an important part of any vacation for us. I wouldn't call us "foodies" (what the heck does that mean, anyway?). But I cook at home from scratch 5+ nights a week. DD is a budding pastry chef. When we do eat out, it's virtually never fast food, usually a locally-owned restaurant or a mid-to-upscale chain (Bonefish Grill, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc.).

That said, we've always been happy with the MDR on DCL. We enjoy eating at Palo once or twice a cruise, never felt the need to splurge on Remy's. So I'm torn about our first cruise on Royal. The overall vacation is at the high end of our typical budget, but we pretty much have to go over their break or not go at all.

Should we try the additional-cost restaurants? Or do you think we'll be happy with the MDR for dinners?
What ship are you sailing? Knowing which specialty venues are available to you will make a difference to my answer. :wave2:

Freedom. 6-night, Dec 18-24. Not sure which night will be formal - got any hints for me? :confused3

We usually stick with the MDR, but add one splurge meal. If at all possible, try to book the Chef's table. We have done this on RCCL and Carnival, and both were absolutely outstanding. It is usually about $75-$100pp, but SO worth it. Each one has surpassed every land-based dining experience we have enjoyed, including Victoria & Albert's. Comfortable and welcoming, yet impeccable in every way!

been on 4 DCL and 5+ RCCL. We are Bonefish type of people. RCCL MDR is a set down from DCL MDR, IMHO. I would say like outback grill. I would buy the package of 3 restaurants for $70, for which youy need to eat the 1 one on the 1st or 2nd night. 2nd night is usually formal night, so we use it for the 1st night. We usually eat the 3rd on the last night and wing it for the middle one, depending on the MDR menu that day. The Japanese place on Navigator was really good. We thought the steak house was decent, and the italian place had good apps, with entrees being the quality of MDR on DCL. On DCL we see no need to pay extra (though we have, but don't anymore).

Freedom. 6-night, Dec 18-24. Not sure which night will be formal - got any hints for me? :confused3
The Freedom doesn't have a wide variety of places - a steak house, a casual Italian place (used to be an excellent upscale Italian restaurant called Portofino - that one I would certainly have recommended), a Mexican place and Johnny Rockets for drive-in type burgers and fries. Chops (the steak house) on all the RCCL ships has kind of changed its' format and now has a fairly steep cover charge as well as ala carte pricing for the premium entrees. IMO it's not worth what it costs anymore (ex. A porterhouse and lobster will run $75/pp). If you like Mexican or casual Italian I'd recommend planning a night at one or both, but wait until a few days into your sailing to see what you actually think of the MDR. You might enjoy it well enough to skip the pay venues for dinner. Johnny Rockets is good for lunch, especially on port days when the MDR isn't open.

I agree with a PP that suggested going for a single splurge by booking the Chef's Table. Although the menus I've seen look pretty "conceptual" and have some courses we probably wouldn't enjoy, the experience would be unique enough to justify the cost - at least once, anyway.

BTW - we're sailing the Freedom in the Med next May, along with another couple who have never been on RCCL. It's our plan for the moment to stick with the MDR. (Dang I miss Portofino though - I wonder why they dumbed it down...:()

We are about to embark on our third Royal Caribbean cruise. For the first two cruises, we stuck to the MDR and occasionally the buffet for dinner. On both cruises we had one lunch in one of the speciality restaurants. This time round, I have decided to splurge on the 4 restaurant dining package and I am looking forward to trying all the different upcharge restaurants.

Corinna

Thanks for all the advice! We've decided to do the 3-night specialty dining package - so we'll be splitting between that and the MDRs.

We are about to embark on our third Royal Caribbean cruise. For the first two cruises, we stuck to the MDR and occasionally the buffet for dinner. On both cruises we had one lunch in one of the speciality restaurants. This time round, I have decided to splurge on the 4 restaurant dining package and I am looking forward to trying all the different upcharge restaurants.

Corinna

Would love it if you shared your experiences after your cruise! What ship will you be on?

Would love it if you shared your experiences after your cruise! What ship will you be on?

There will definitely be a trip report. We will be on the Navigator of the Seas. The previous two cruises were on Splendour of the Seas in December and Ovation of the Seas in May.

Corinna

There will definitely be a trip report. We will be on the Navigator of the Seas. The previous two cruises were on Splendour of the Seas in December and Ovation of the Seas in May.

Corinna
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for your trip report!

I have been on r RCL cruises in the last two years and have 3 more booked in 2016/2017. We always eat dinner in the MDP or sometimes the buffet. I have yet to eat in a speciality and don't really feel I am missing anything. I feel I am already paying to eat so why would I want to pay more? I MIGHT do the BOGO 2 night dining package on Anthem in March, but I am still not convinced lol.

We've been on Oasis, Freedom and DCL Fantasy- we found the RCL MDRs a slight step up from Disney- while we enjoyed our MDR experience (we ate there every night- did do Palo brunch) we did find the food a wee bit bland, but still nice. We did the MDR all nights on Freedom and were pleasantly surprised.

We were on Allure in April and quite enjoyed the MDR. We were even on My Time (but from night 3 onwards had the same table/same waiter so it was like traditional). We quite enjoyed the food and experience and had no reason to pay for specialty. The only meal we paid for was the character breakfast, but the fee was minimal and we knew our kids would like it.

I have been on r RCL cruises in the last two years and have 3 more booked in 2016/2017. We always eat dinner in the MDP or sometimes the buffet. I have yet to eat in a speciality and don't really feel I am missing anything. I feel I am already paying to eat so why would I want to pay more? I MIGHT do the BOGO 2 night dining package on Anthem in March, but I am still not convinced lol.

We've been on Oasis, Freedom and DCL Fantasy- we found the RCL MDRs a slight step up from Disney- while we enjoyed our MDR experience (we ate there every night- did do Palo brunch) we did find the food a wee bit bland, but still nice. We did the MDR all nights on Freedom and were pleasantly surprised.

We were on Allure in April and quite enjoyed the MDR. We were even on My Time (but from night 3 onwards had the same table/same waiter so it was like traditional). We quite enjoyed the food and experience and had no reason to pay for specialty. The only meal we paid for was the character breakfast, but the fee was minimal and we knew our kids would like it.

Thanks for the info! You all are making me rethink purchasing the 3-night plan. . .that $300 might be better spent elsewhere. . .

We are also considering a 3 night dining package on our upcoming 8 night cruise. We figure it would be a good way of mixing up our options between the MDR and Windjammer. Looking at menus, how does this work at Izumi since it's also mostly a la carte? Can we order as much sushi as we can handle? Not that anything like that would happen with us...

We are also considering a 3 night dining package on our upcoming 8 night cruise. We figure it would be a good way of mixing up our options between the MDR and Windjammer. Looking at menus, how does this work at Izumi since it's also mostly a la carte? Can we order as much sushi as we can handle? Not that anything like that would happen with us...

At Izumi, you get a $30 credit to spend per person on food only. Anything above this or any drinks not covered by a drinks package, you pay extra for.

Corinna

Anyone splurge and Palo and regret it? Seems mostly like people not wanting the added expense. Its for a 10th anniversary dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter