First Time at Vero Beach

hmccarter

Mouseketeer
My husband, two girls ages 3 and 4, and I left at 8 am and headed to CLT airport. My boarding pass was missing TSA pre check. You know it never fails. It’s like a glitch in the system to delete the last number off my KTN. You would think I’d triple check my boarding pass by now. Luckily I quickly found a kiosk and fixed it. All was well. Except for dropping my drivers license somewhere… more on that later. Arrived at Melbourne Airport… small and calm. Got the rental car pretty quickly. Arrived at Disney Vero Beach Resort about 2:30. The room wasn’t quite ready. We ordered some gluten free quick serve. Picked up my gluten free cupcake order. My mom and stepdad drove from SC and met us at the resort. It was so cool to have them join. Our room was ready about 3:15. We were very pleased. First floor, two bedroom lock off. Very spacious. Ordered a Target grocery order since we needed Vanilla Ripple Milk. We went to dinner at Wind and Waves table service at 5. A very nice meal. Back to the room to get settled in, baths, recover from travel day. Woke up and went to an outstanding breakfast. The gluten free key lime stuffed waffles with raspberry sauce! AhhhhhMAZING. Headed to the beach! What a beautiful sight. Built sand castles. Sat in chairs watching the waves. Man, do they CRASH! So fun to watch and listen to them. It wasn’t long before both girls were ready to venture over to the water play area. An adorable area with a boat theme and kiddie water slide. After a couple hours of that, we ordered lunch! Headed back for nap. Woke up and checked out the shops downtown. We found them very overpriced. We went to target instead. Got a few prizes for the girls and dresses for beach pictures. Back for dinner at 5. Delicious again. It stormed afterwards so we did some coloring, hula hopping, and checkers in the lobby. Also got a few things from the gift shop. The next day was almost the same routine. Breakfast, beach, water play area, nap, shopping, girls did seashell painting. Ended with a quick serve dinner so we could get ready for sunset beach pictures! The noseeums tried to eat us alive. Bug juice did absolutely nothing, seemed to attract them. Had to use off spray and a thermacell. Thank goodness my mom and stepdad brought those essential items! The third full day we did breakfast again, beach, pool, nap, craft, dinner, beach again. Then another storm! Our final day we had breakfast again (my 4th time eating those scrumptious key lime stuffed waffles), beach, water play, headed to airport! Get to tsa pre check… can’t find my drivers license. When we got home, it was in our mailbox from Charlotte lost & found!! I had to show 2 credit cards with my name and go through a lot of additional screening / bag searching. It was a bit stressful and time consuming but we made it. Flew home to Charlotte. Some traffic on the way back but all went well. What a wonderful trip… we LOVED Disney’s Vero Beach Resort. It is the only place we’ve found to get “Disney safe” gluten free food and the beach all in one. A hidden gem. We are looking forward to many more summer beach vacations at this resort. The question is… do we need to own here or will there be availability? The dues are so high. Im hoping for availability in the summer for a studio or two.

My husband, two girls ages 3 and 4, and I left at 8 am and headed to CLT airport. My boarding pass was missing TSA pre check. You know it never fails. It’s like a glitch in the system to delete the last number off my KTN. You would think I’d triple check my boarding pass by now. Luckily I quickly found a kiosk and fixed it. All was well. Except for dropping my drivers license somewhere… more on that later. Arrived at Melbourne Airport… small and calm. Got the rental car pretty quickly. Arrived at Disney Vero Beach Resort about 2:30. The room wasn’t quite ready. We ordered some gluten free quick serve. Picked up my gluten free cupcake order. My mom and stepdad drove from SC and met us at the resort. It was so cool to have them join. Our room was ready about 3:15. We were very pleased. First floor, two bedroom lock off. Very spacious. Ordered a Target grocery order since we needed Vanilla Ripple Milk. We went to dinner at Wind and Waves table service at 5. A very nice meal. Back to the room to get settled in, baths, recover from travel day. Woke up and went to an outstanding breakfast. The gluten free key lime stuffed waffles with raspberry sauce! AhhhhhMAZING. Headed to the beach! What a beautiful sight. Built sand castles. Sat in chairs watching the waves. Man, do they CRASH! So fun to watch and listen to them. It wasn’t long before both girls were ready to venture over to the water play area. An adorable area with a boat theme and kiddie water slide. After a couple hours of that, we ordered lunch! Headed back for nap. Woke up and checked out the shops downtown. We found them very overpriced. We went to target instead. Got a few prizes for the girls and dresses for beach pictures. Back for dinner at 5. Delicious again. It stormed afterwards so we did some coloring, hula hopping, and checkers in the lobby. Also got a few things from the gift shop. The next day was almost the same routine. Breakfast, beach, water play area, nap, shopping, girls did seashell painting. Ended with a quick serve dinner so we could get ready for sunset beach pictures! The noseeums tried to eat us alive. Bug juice did absolutely nothing, seemed to attract them. Had to use off spray and a thermacell. Thank goodness my mom and stepdad brought those essential items! The third full day we did breakfast again, beach, pool, nap, craft, dinner, beach again. Then another storm! Our final day we had breakfast again (my 4th time eating those scrumptious key lime stuffed waffles), beach, water play, headed to airport! Get to tsa pre check… can’t find my drivers license. When we got home, it was in our mailbox from Charlotte lost & found!! I had to show 2 credit cards with my name and go through a lot of additional screening / bag searching. It was a bit stressful and time consuming but we made it. Flew home to Charlotte. Some traffic on the way back but all went well. What a wonderful trip… we LOVED Disney’s Vero Beach Resort. It is the only place we’ve found to get “Disney safe” gluten free food and the beach all in one. A hidden gem. We are looking forward to many more summer beach vacations at this resort. The question is… do we need to own here or will there be availability? The dues are so high. Im hoping for availability in the summer for a studio or two.
Glad you enjoyed your trip!

I see that you live near Charlotte? We live in SC and have DD2.

We had our first trip to VB this year and enjoyed it as well!

If you have never visited, I recommend trying Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort as well since yall enjoyed VB. (It may be a shorter trip since you live in NC)

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

I see that you live near Charlotte? We live in SC and have DD2.

We had our first trip to VB this year and enjoyed it as well!

If you have never visited, I recommend trying Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort as well since yall enjoyed VB. (It may be a shorter trip since you live in NC)
We are in Spartanburg, SC. I am nervous to try Hilton Head! The beach not being walkable is a major turnoff for us. Also worry the gluten free food won't be as safe, but maybe I need to take the leap.

I think you can get into Vero at 7 months, if you do book at 7 months. We own there. Our DS and DDiL asked for two nights there in June only about 2-3 months out and I was able to get them an OVIR this year.

We are in Spartanburg, SC. I am nervous to try Hilton Head! The beach not being walkable is a major turnoff for us. Also worry the gluten free food won't be as safe, but maybe I need to take the leap.
Before we went to Hilton Head, I was wondering if we would like the beach being so far away, but we really enoyed being there. You could really spend the day at the Beach House if you want. You have showers, bathrooms, a quick serve window, a pool, etc... Plus it's not a big deal going back and forth to the main hotel, 5 minute shuttle ride. (You can actually walk it, we did. It's a half hour walk. Some people bike it).

You should try it out, especially being so nearby as you are.

We were at Vero this week too! I probably saw you at some point! It was our first time also and agree that it was amazing (besides those awful bugs ..we came home itching bad despite using their bug lotion.)

*I want to encourage you to give HH a try! We go every year. It’s one of our fav resorts for the relaxation and those are some of THE BEST cast members we’ve ever met. The beach house is a fun quick trip by shuttle or bike and a good way to spend some time away from the resort but still “on property”.

We were at Vero this week too! I probably saw you at some point! It was our first time also and agree that it was amazing (besides those awful bugs ..we came home itching bad despite using their bug lotion.)

*I want to encourage you to give HH a try! We go every year. It’s one of our fav resorts for the relaxation and those are some of THE BEST cast members we’ve ever met. The beach house is a fun quick trip by shuttle or bike and a good way to spend some time away from the resort but still “on property”.
The bugs were bad! “Bug juice” from beach bites did not work. Luckily I’m the only one who reacted to them, and it took a few days for them to welp up and start itching. Next year I will carry a thermacell with me everywhere I go especially mornings and evenings.

Hmm you guys are making HH sound good. How is the food on site? I called and they said they can do gluten free. It sounds like the summer is best for food. I think they kind of scale back in the off season.

The bugs were bad! “Bug juice” from beach bites did not work. Luckily I’m the only one who reacted to them, and it took a few days for them to welp up and start itching. Next year I will carry a thermacell with me everywhere I go especially mornings and evenings.

Hmm you guys are making HH sound good. How is the food on site? I called and they said they can do gluten free. It sounds like the summer is best for food. I think they kind of scale back in the off season.
Yeah they do scale back a bit and close earlier. If I remember correctly, the beach club bar/food would be open from 11-3 and QS at the main resort by the pool would close at 5pm. However there are so many good restaurants on HHI it would be worth researching your options for plan B!

Anyone know if there are certain months of the year when the bugs are really bad at Vero Beach; or is it pretty much a year-round annoyance you just have to deal with?

Anyone know if there are certain months of the year when the bugs are really bad at Vero Beach; or is it pretty much a year-round annoyance you just have to deal with?
We are owners at Vero (live about 3 hr drive away) and will say the bugs were really bad in March and not in August and then sometimes worse in October than July! In other words, it depends. :) We had a few times there were the wind picked up at night and it was great bc there were no bugs biting! We are headed there this week and sounds like I better be prepared with my bug spray (we bring our own as I found many years ago the one they offer did not do much for me!)

As for the original question on 7 months out, it depends on what type of unit you want. We bought into Vero years ago because we like the 3 bedroom cottage and with only 5, you cannot get that 7 months out (of course there are exceptions!) I think the oceanview inn room can also go quick. Vero still tends to be a seasonal place. I feel like Vero has many Floridian owners (like us) and we generally do not go to the beach between Nov and March (not warm enough!) so my guess is during that time availability is good.

We love Vero. It is our end of summer escape. The dining options have improved over the years but wish they had one more restaurant but it is a small place so understand. Enjoy!

Vero is a true gem, and is filled with Disney Magic in a simple seaside setting. The cast members are polite, kind, and helpful in all ways.

My Vero wish list includes:
1. A larger pool. Really, I wish they would just relocate the pool across the street or add a second pool over there and turn the area currently used by the pool into a quiet pool area. I have never seen the Tennis courts being used, maybe they could get rid of those.
2. Agree a second restaurant would be a huge addition, as would a VB Dining Plan option.

The mistake they made with VB was the combination of the location and the amenities - it is very isolated, which could be great, but then you need even better and bigger amenities. By not building Phase 2, they were unable to go as big as they needed. Hyatt RC Bonita Springs shows how this can be done right, and make a resort that you never want to leave for days - but you aren't on the beach!

HH was supposed to be on the beach. I'm amazed Disney wanted to stick with HH even when beachfront became not possible.

I hope that Disney is able to keep VB after 2042. I would imagine it would be a combination of Cash & Points that would keep it going, but even then I think it would require some upgrading to make that viable.

I agree that VB has some missed opportunities. I think they could have done a lot with Phase 2 but sounds like they never got the interest they expected all those years ago (and now sold a big portion of originally Phase 2 land). I know they are scheduled for a refurb next year but, as you said, the potential is there for so much more but will it be profitable?

I agree that VB has some missed opportunities. I think they could have done a lot with Phase 2 but sounds like they never got the interest they expected all those years ago (and now sold a big portion of originally Phase 2 land). I know they are scheduled for a refurb next year but, as you said, the potential is there for so much more but will it be profitable?
I'm convinced that Phase 2 was never a serious plan in Disney's mind... I say that because if you're going through all the expense of building out the resort, why wouldn't you have kept going. Also, why would you sell only the most desirable part of the resort first... I think Disney very quickly decided to shift strategies on DVC, and VB got caught up in the middle of that transition, in part from the sluggish sales.

I think at this point, expansion is extremely unlikely in terms of room units, but I do think in a post 2042 world, they could do a cash/room rate hybrid situation, and with some sprucing up charge a lot more per night than their current cash rates - have you seen how much Costa D'Este or Kimpton VB charge per night?

Fyi, just returned from our annual end of summer stay and can happily report, no no-see-ums! Beautiful weather (no storms), strong waves and breeze so think that kept them away (and anything that bites typically finds me!)

We are owners at Vero (live about 3 hr drive away) and will say the bugs were really bad in March and not in August and then sometimes worse in October than July! In other words, it depends. :) We had a few times there were the wind picked up at night and it was great bc there were no bugs biting! We are headed there this week and sounds like I better be prepared with my bug spray (we bring our own as I found many years ago the one they offer did not do much for me!)

As for the original question on 7 months out, it depends on what type of unit you want. We bought into Vero years ago because we like the 3 bedroom cottage and with only 5, you cannot get that 7 months out (of course there are exceptions!) I think the oceanview inn room can also go quick. Vero still tends to be a seasonal place. I feel like Vero has many Floridian owners (like us) and we generally do not go to the beach between Nov and March (not warm enough!) so my guess is during that time availability is good.

We love Vero. It is our end of summer escape. The dining options have improved over the years but wish they had one more restaurant but it is a small place so understand. Enjoy!
What bug spray works for you?

Fyi, just returned from our annual end of summer stay and can happily report, no no-see-ums! Beautiful weather (no storms), strong waves and breeze so think that kept them away (and anything that bites typically finds me!)
We must have crossed paths as we were there last week and my ankles still look like a kid with chickenpox.

It was our first time and my family loved it. Was a great 3 days post-WDW, and they've decided they want to do it every year. 1 question I had, are the waves always so strong (we are from PA and the Jersey beaches don't have nearly as strong waves)?

We must have crossed paths as we were there last week and my ankles still look like a kid with chickenpox.

It was our first time and my family loved it. Was a great 3 days post-WDW, and they've decided they want to do it every year. 1 question I had, are the waves always so strong (we are from PA and the Jersey beaches don't have nearly as strong waves)?
I guess we got lucky with the no see ums last weekend! The waves this past weekend were very strong. And the water was much warmer than usual for August. We were commenting that only one other time we have seen the waves stronger was an April visit about 4 years ago. The benefit of the waves were the lack of jellyfish (it is some species there not the big ones, but smaller and cannot recall the name). Last year in August the waves were very light but we all got stung at some point!

Absolutely fascinating to hear about your adventure to Disney's Vero Beach Resort with your husband and your adorable 3 and 4-year-old girls. Traveling with kids can be quite the experience, full of unexpected twists and heartwarming moments.

Ah, the classic scenario of leaving at 8 am for the airport, only to realize the boarding pass is missing the TSA Pre Check. It's like a recurring glitch in the matrix, isn't it? You'd think we'd have it down to a science by now, but life has its way of keeping us on our toes. Thankfully, your quick thinking led you to a kiosk and a solution. Crisis averted, and the adventure continues.

Oh, the mystery of disappearing digits from your Known Traveler Number (KTN)! It's like an annual ritual for these numbers to play hide-and-seek with us. It's impressive how you managed to remain composed and fix it efficiently. Triple-checking seems like a good strategy, but sometimes even that can't prevent these little hiccups.

Losing your driver's license in the midst of travel chaos? Now, that's a plot twist worthy of a suspense movie! The relief must have been palpable when you found it in the mailbox back home. And kudos to you for maneuvering through additional screening and bag searching with credit cards as proof of identity. It's a true testament to your patience and determination.

The arrival at Melbourne Airport, small and calm, seems like a breath of fresh air after the hustle of the day's start. The rental car pickup went smoothly – getting a 3 and 4-year-old situated after a journey can sometimes feel like assembling a puzzle. The anticipation of reaching Disney's Vero Beach Resort must have been palpable, especially with the promise of gluten-free quick-serve and cupcakes.

The surprise arrival of your mom and stepdad from South Carolina adds a special touch to your adventure. Multi-generational vacations are a wonderful opportunity for bonding and making memories. It's heartwarming to picture the joy of the family reunion at the resort.

The room not being ready immediately is one of those moments when patience is truly a virtue. But it sounds like you made the best of it, indulging in gluten-free delicacies while waiting. And finally, the moment arrives when you step into your two-bedroom lock-off on the first floor. The spaciousness must have felt like a home away from home.

Ordering groceries from Target is a modern-day convenience that's a game-changer during vacations. Vanilla Ripple Milk is one of those items that can make or break a morning routine. It's fantastic that you were able to streamline your vacation experience with this service.

Dining at Wind and Waves table service sounds like a delightful experience for the taste buds. There's something special about enjoying a meal together after a day of travel and anticipation. It's like a reward for all the efforts of the day.

Your description of the beach, sandcastles, and crashing waves transports me there. The simplicity of these moments is what makes family vacations so precious. It's as if time stands still, and you're fully immersed in the present.

The water play area with a boat theme and kiddie water slide must have been a dream come true for your little ones. Children have a unique ability to find joy and wonder in the simplest of things. And as a dad, witnessing their excitement must have been incredibly rewarding.

Lunch by the beach is a quintessential vacation experience. The rhythm of the day, moving from one delightful activity to another, seems to have a soothing effect. A nap is a well-deserved break for everyone – parents and kids alike. It's like hitting the reset button to recharge for the next adventure.

Exploring the shops downtown and discovering them to be overpriced is a common tale of tourist towns. But you managed to pivot seamlessly, finding value and joy in your Target haul. Prizes for the girls and dresses for beach pictures are not just purchases but tokens of the memories you're creating.

The beach pictures during sunset must be priceless keepsakes. The battle against noseeums adds a humorous touch to the experience. Sometimes, it's the unexpected challenges that make the best stories in hindsight. Thank goodness for bug spray and essential items from your mom and stepdad!

Engaging in coloring, hula hooping, and checkers in the lobby post-storm sounds like a quaint and cozy way to spend an evening. And getting a few things from the gift shop adds to the treasure trove of memories you're amassing.

The routine you established, from breakfast to beach to crafts to dinner, is a testament to your planning and organization. And those gluten-free key lime stuffed waffles with raspberry sauce are clearly a highlight of the trip. It's amazing how food can become such a memorable part of a vacation.

The question of ownership at the resort is a significant consideration. It's clear that Disney's Vero Beach Resort holds a special place in your heart, offering a unique combination of gluten-free dining and beach bliss. The allure of summer beach vacations at this hidden gem is undeniable, but the financial aspect and availability are essential factors to ponder.

In conclusion, your family's journey to Disney's Vero Beach Resort is a tapestry woven with anticipation, challenges, discoveries, and unforgettable moments. The bonds you've strengthened, the smiles you've shared, and the memories you've made are the true treasures of this adventure. May this trip be just one of many beautiful chapters in your family's story. Welcome home, and here's to the exciting possibilities that the future holds!

Absolutely fascinating to hear about your adventure to Disney's Vero Beach Resort with your husband and your adorable 3 and 4-year-old girls. Traveling with kids can be quite the experience, full of unexpected twists and heartwarming moments.

Ah, the classic scenario of leaving at 8 am for the airport, only to realize the boarding pass is missing the TSA Pre Check. It's like a recurring glitch in the matrix, isn't it? You'd think we'd have it down to a science by now, but life has its way of keeping us on our toes. Thankfully, your quick thinking led you to a kiosk and a solution. Crisis averted, and the adventure continues.

Oh, the mystery of disappearing digits from your Known Traveler Number (KTN)! It's like an annual ritual for these numbers to play hide-and-seek with us. It's impressive how you managed to remain composed and fix it efficiently. Triple-checking seems like a good strategy, but sometimes even that can't prevent these little hiccups.

Losing your driver's license in the midst of travel chaos? Now, that's a plot twist worthy of a suspense movie! The relief must have been palpable when you found it in the mailbox back home. And kudos to you for maneuvering through additional screening and bag searching with credit cards as proof of identity. It's a true testament to your patience and determination.

The arrival at Melbourne Airport, small and calm, seems like a breath of fresh air after the hustle of the day's start. The rental car pickup went smoothly – getting a 3 and 4-year-old situated after a journey can sometimes feel like assembling a puzzle. The anticipation of reaching Disney's Vero Beach Resort must have been palpable, especially with the promise of gluten-free quick-serve and cupcakes.

The surprise arrival of your mom and stepdad from South Carolina adds a special touch to your adventure. Multi-generational vacations are a wonderful opportunity for bonding and making memories. It's heartwarming to picture the joy of the family reunion at the resort.

The room not being ready immediately is one of those moments when patience is truly a virtue. But it sounds like you made the best of it, indulging in gluten-free delicacies while waiting. And finally, the moment arrives when you step into your two-bedroom lock-off on the first floor. The spaciousness must have felt like a home away from home.

Ordering groceries from Target is a modern-day convenience that's a game-changer during vacations. Vanilla Ripple Milk is one of those items that can make or break a morning routine. It's fantastic that you were able to streamline your vacation experience with this service.

Dining at Wind and Waves table service sounds like a delightful experience for the taste buds. There's something special about enjoying a meal together after a day of travel and anticipation. It's like a reward for all the efforts of the day.

Your description of the beach, sandcastles, and crashing waves transports me there. The simplicity of these moments is what makes family vacations so precious. It's as if time stands still, and you're fully immersed in the present.

The water play area with a boat theme and kiddie water slide must have been a dream come true for your little ones. Children have a unique ability to find joy and wonder in the simplest of things. And as a dad, witnessing their excitement must have been incredibly rewarding.

Lunch by the beach is a quintessential vacation experience. The rhythm of the day, moving from one delightful activity to another, seems to have a soothing effect. A nap is a well-deserved break for everyone – parents and kids alike. It's like hitting the reset button to recharge for the next adventure.

Exploring the shops downtown and discovering them to be overpriced is a common tale of tourist towns. But you managed to pivot seamlessly, finding value and joy in your Target haul. Prizes for the girls and dresses for beach pictures are not just purchases but tokens of the memories you're creating.

The beach pictures during sunset must be priceless keepsakes. The battle against noseeums adds a humorous touch to the experience. Sometimes, it's the unexpected challenges that make the best stories in hindsight. Thank goodness for bug spray and essential items from your mom and stepdad!

Engaging in coloring, hula hooping, and checkers in the lobby post-storm sounds like a quaint and cozy way to spend an evening. And getting a few things from the gift shop adds to the treasure trove of memories you're amassing.

The routine you established, from breakfast to beach to crafts to dinner, is a testament to your planning and organization. And those gluten-free key lime stuffed waffles with raspberry sauce are clearly a highlight of the trip. It's amazing how food can become such a memorable part of a vacation.

The question of ownership at the resort is a significant consideration. It's clear that Disney's Vero Beach Resort holds a special place in your heart, offering a unique combination of gluten-free dining and beach bliss. The allure of summer beach vacations at this hidden gem is undeniable, but the financial aspect and availability are essential factors to ponder.

In conclusion, your family's journey to Disney's Vero Beach Resort is a tapestry woven with anticipation, challenges, discoveries, and unforgettable moments. The bonds you've strengthened, the smiles you've shared, and the memories you've made are the true treasures of this adventure. May this trip be just one of many beautiful chapters in your family's story. Welcome home, and here's to the exciting possibilities that the future holds!
For a moment I wasn’t sure if this was a human trying to be AI or vice versa. It’s lovely 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter