• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

first time family what not to miss

Bonniejo

Earning My Ears
We're going to Disney World in a week with our 2 kids 9 and 10 years old. Please give
suggestions on what not to miss. What should we absolutely see and not miss.
What books to follow for advice. Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated!

Even though my son (10) considers himself a WDW expert we bought him (I think this is the name ~ I just went in his room looking for the book and of course can't find it) Birnbaums Kids Guide to WDW. He had a blast with it. My son would tell you the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is a must do. Even the older kids have fun at character dinners so I would do one of those, our favorite is Chef Mickey, but there are several fun meals out there.

I think a lot depends on your kid's personalities, if they like roller coasters make sure they do all of those. If they don't, the 3D movies are fun. The Mupped 3D adventure in MGM is a hoot. Test Track at EPCOT is great. I would buy the book and have them read it (lots of kids reviews) and go from there. We've found that going with the flow makes things a lot less stressful :-) Hope you all have a great time!!!

29 days to go :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The Unofficial Guide to WDW is a great one. And of course this board will give you tons of tips, you may not have time to get it all by next week!! Check out the tips board and the theme parks board. It shouldn't be too crowded so you will probably be able to see everything without a lot of waiting time. I'm sure your kids will like all the "big" attractions (splash mountain, space mountain, tower of terror, etc) but don't neglect other things that you might overlook (muppet movie at mgm for example). I agree with taking in a character meal. They are a lot of fun and a good way to see some characters without waiting in line. One thing we do is give the kids their own disposable camera. It's fun to see the trip from their point of view when it's all over. The game room at the Contemporary resort is a great place for a little down time from the parks. Also the campfire program at Fort Wilderness is a great take in. It has a sing along, roast marshmallows, and a disney double feature on a big drive-in movie type screen. Don't miss Illuminations at Epcot. The water parks are great too, we've been to Typhoon Lagoon but we hear Blizzard Beach is just as nice. Can't think of much more right now but have a great trip!!!:wave:

I think Birnbaum's book for adults is a great guide, especially for someone who has never been. It used to be the one and only guide book and maybe I am biased but I like it best. I don't really need a guidebook but still buy a new edition every year. :D I agree that your kids would really enjoy a character meal - breakfast has been one of our favorites. Make it a surprise for your kids! If you can swing it, the specialty cruises are awesome too! Illuminations cruise is my favorite but there is a fireworks cruise for MK that is nice as well. My one recommendation would be not to push yourselves. We know too many people who make it a once in a lifetime trip and kill themselves thinking they have to be up and going and don't take time to relax and enjoy. As a result, they never want to go back. We've always approached DW with the attitude that what we don't do this time, we'll catch the next time. Pick the rides and attractions that are "must do" for the family and get to them first. But don't forget to check out Disney Quest and the shops at DD. Enjoy!

Bonniejo,
Take a ride on the monorail and ask to sit in the front. My son, 8 loves the monorail.:D Definitly plan for buzz, space, test track, and big thunder all my son's favorites. I agree about the character meal too, lots of fun. The book is also a good idea. Ask all the questions you can in the next 2 weeks, and welcome!:)

Buy a Passport at Epcot, and work your way around the world "stamping" the pages and getting CMs to write a phrase in their own language. Ask at the Kidcot stops where they do this (our 11 year old loved this)

Make time for swimming!! Just as much a part of the holiday as the parks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter