First time to WDW

tanyadews

Earning My Ears
this will be our first time to wdw and by reading all of your posts i am so excited to go.
is there any advice you would offer to a first time wdw visitor. we are staying 10 nights at the HRP and wondered how many days do you think we should spend at the parks. also has anyone ever used the babysitting services offered at HRP?:smooth: :earseek: :earseek:

I'm also planning my first trip with my 3 kids for 5 days in December. I'm scouring the pages and resources to develop my itinerary. Best of luck!

Personally I would spend 2 days at MK and Epcot . One at AK and 1 1/2 at MGM. 1/2 day at DQ and BB

My word of advice is this:

Take your time, don't rush. You will never see evrything on one trip so make the best out of it. Most of all, don't stress!

we've been to wdw 5 times with kids, we now have 6 great kids, youngest 9 months and are going again in december. You should plan on being at the parks 5 days minimum (2 at MK, 1 at AK, 1 at MGM, 1 at EPCOT). Try a water park, blizzard beach is best. Universal is worth a day or two; the original is slightly better than isles of adventure but this can be a preference thing. Don't do too many sit down meals at specified seating times. Too expensive and restrictive on your schedule. Study the unofficial guide to disney, forget birnbaum's guide. Read these boards and look around at other posts for great tips. Have a great time!

I would develop a list of "must do" things. Then try to plan around those.

You will never see everything in 10 days especially with kids. We just recently saw everything and we've been 9 times. Our first trip was 14 days and we were just a couple. Didn't even get to a water park.

If you decide on those things you can't miss then you can wait in lines for those. After that you can gauge things by how long the line is and how tired the kids are. You will need at least 2 days in MK and might need more if the lines are long. You can do AK in one day. MGM you will need at least one day and probably two to see all the shows since they are now on a reduced schedule. Epcot will depend on what you want to see. Our son isn't into the World Showcase, much, so we don't spend a lot of time there. At least one day and could spend a lot more time there, too. Don't forget about Downtown Disney and the Marketplace. Also, there is the Wide World of Sports and the water parks. Lots to do here. And, if you are traveling at Christmas, looking at the resorts is pretty neat.

Must see resorts at Christmas: Grand Floridian, YC/BC, Boardwalk

We did character meals to eliminate the time we had to wait in lines to see them in the parks. It just sorta depends on what you want. Then when we see lines for autographs or pics in the park with characters we skip them. When it is busy it saves a lot of time.

You'll have a great time. You must see Fantasmic at MGM Studios. It will be the high light of your trip. Tip: From your hotel, be sure to book the Fantasmic dinner package. You'll get to eat at one of the best eating places at MGM plus you get special seating without waiting 2 hours before the show. You simply walk up 30 minutes before the show. It's well worth it. Fantasmic sells out fast but the dinner package will guarantee your seats.

Say hi to Mickey for me!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

King Triton

The most important thing is to be flexible. Make a plan but don't worry about changing it if we decide not to do something.

I agree with doing character meals if you can, it's alot better then waiting in all those lines for autograph's.

The age of your children will determine how much time to spend at which park. My family is in the minority from what I read from other posters but we DO NOT like EPCOT. I would not spend 2 days there.

I prefer Typhoon Lagoone as a water park. The slides at Blizzard Beach are more aggressive, Typhoon Lagoone more laid back. It's all a matter of personal preference.

You'll have a wonderful time! Schedule a non-park day every few days. I agree with the other posters: MK 2 days, AK 1 day, MGM 1 1/2 days. Epcot depends on your interests. You can spend hours at the Future World exhibits and in the World Showcase, but we find we can do the rides in a day. Instead of spending a full day in the same park, consider spending the morning in one and then the evening in another. With Epcot open later than the others, it makes a good choice for evening.

LoriBell, do you base your water park pref. on your kids ages? My are 10, 5, and 2 ..
I was thinking BB over TL. Should I be changing my mind??? I agree with the Epcot
idea. I don't think it has much for the smaller kiddos, I don't think we'll spend much time
there.

June 02 ..... already counting down the days :bounce:

Do give Epcot a try though. There are kids that really enjoy it, mine included. There's some fun attractions in Future World and even World Showcase can work if your kids enjoy music and exploring. I would hit the main parks pretty early in my trip and then you'll have a better idea of what everyone enjoys. We spend a fair amount of time nowadays at the Studios but that's just our preference.

I prefer Typhoon Lagoon because TL has good slides but not very wild ones. It also has a great wave pool and lots of shade. But both parks are nice as is River Country if you ever just want to relax.

Yes, that is basically what I base it on. TL has a wonderful area especially for your 2 year old. They have a small inner tube ride that the little ones get to do by themselves. My daughter was 2.5 years old when we were there this summer and the first time my son went in 93 he was 19 months old. They both loved it. Went on that thing over and over again.

This summer my son was almost 10 and really liked swimming with the sharks, had his own waterproof camera.

BB is really more for the teenagers in my opinion.

If you go to TL get there at opening and go straight to ketchakiddie creek to get a nice shady spot and enjoy the little ones. There's really a lot for them to do.

By the way, we will be there June 9th-21st. When will you be there?

We will be there June 8th - 13th. Wish we had as much time as you !!!
I can't wait, this will be my 2 youngest and my DH first visit, I can't wait
to see their faces light up !!!!!

I think I decided on TL, thanks for all the advice.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter