First time trip report

SSOASS

Earning My Ears
A little bit of background. I live near Dallas, TX. I first went to Disneyland (California) in the early 1970s when we moved to California. I have probably been there 100 times, my first job was working there. I have been to Disney World about 15 times, and Disneyland (Paris) twice (2007 and 2016). This was my first time to Hong Kong, or anywhere in Asia for that matter. Hawaii is as far east as I had been.

I fly a fair amount most years, but much less this year. I wanted to keep my airline status so I could keep getting upgrades and better seats next year, so I started looking for a long and cheap flight to get me the miles I needed. I found one non-stop from Dallas to Hong Kong and picked that one to get my miles and the chance to see another Disney Park. My time was a bit limited, so I left Dallas Thursday (Apr 21st) afternoon, getting there Friday afternoon around 4PM. I had to leave Sunday at 2:30PM to get back to Dallas at 4PM Sunday night. So, basically a little over 32 hours of flying for a full day there on a Saturday and a few hours Friday night. Neither my wife or kids wanted/could do it ... so I went solo.

I decided to stay at the Disney Hollywood Hotel. It looked nice and was less expensive than the main Disneyland Hotel. My plan was basically to get to Disney as soon as it opened Saturday, see as much as possible until about 6, then head into Hong Kong proper, see what I could see there until about midnight, then head back to the hotel. I thought about taking MTR from the airport, but ended up taking a cab. After that long flight, I just wanted to get to the room and a shower ASAP. I had some thoughts about going into HK, but decided to just rest up for the next day and walk around the hotels Friday night.

One oddity, I got into the room and none of the lights worked. I called down to the front desk and they asked if I put my card in the slot. I had never seen anything like that. In general, I thought the hotel and the hotel staff was great. No problem at all, everyone was nice and one of the bellmen was very helpful with my excursion into Hong Kong. I ate at Chef Mickey both mornings and had a nice breakfast. I also ate at Hollywood and Dine when I first got there to just have something quick, it was fine, but nothing special.

Saturday morning, I got up and walked out the front of the hotel to the Disneyland hotel and walked around the lobby, really nice. Then walked along the seaside promenade to the park. Incredibly nice walk, espeically when turning down the park promenade. Just beautiful, I could have spent more time walking around there, but I wanted to hit the park.

Coming into this, I was concerned that the park was pretty small and lacking attractions compared to the others and while that is certainly true to a degree, it was just a really nice park to walk around. Despite being there on a Saturday, it really did not get crowded at all until 2:30. I was by myself, so I used single rider lines. But the regular lines on the bigger attactions were 20 minutes or under. Mystic Manor was 5 minutes at most, I went on it 4 times in a row all in about a half hour.

Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Manor were the 2 main attractions I wanted to see, just because they were unique to HK. Both were fantastic, I wish there was an option to skip the MM pre-show, 4 times in a row was a bit much, but the attraction itseld was incredibly cool. The ride system is the same as Ratatouille in Disney Paris, but the attraction was just do different than anything else. It was nice that they had some Haunted Mansion references in there.

I really won't go into tons of details on the attractions, but will just say the park itself was so nice. Just a nice place to walk around and look at the plants and theming. It was better than I was expecting. I could see if someone was mainly interested in attractions, it would be disappointing. 20-30 years ago me probably would not of liked it as much as current me.

As for the non-Disney side, a bellman gave me some good advice, I took MTR to the Kowloon station and walked around Elemnets and surrounding area for a bit and walked up to the Temple Street open market. I really only had 6 hours to see what I could and wanted to see a nice new part of the city, get a view of the harbor, and see something more traditional in the time I had. I think that was a decent samplig

I would like to go back again and spend a week there, I think a day (maybe a day and a half) in Disney is still probably plenty (a full day from open to close) around this time of year. The weather was pretty nice and the park was not too crowded. Then see more of the city and some of the nature side of Hong Kong. But, I am also trying to work in trips to Tokyo, which I hear is fantastic and Shangai, though I might wait until that park has been open a few years.

You sound like my DH with his status runs. On his last trip to Thailand he came back via Abu Dhabi to get platinum status.

We have very similar opinions about HKDL. I also love it just as a beautiful place to be, and very much enjoyed both Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch.

Putting the card in the slot at the hotel to turn on the power is pretty common in Australia and SE Asia - it just saves power usage while nobody is in the room. Not sure if it was originally an environmental initiative or a cost cutting operation.

The card in the slot for power makes sense, it is actually pretty nice when you come back in the room at night and all the lights you had on before just turn back on. I had never seen anything like that before, I do not think it exists at all in the US and I have not seen it in 10 or so trips to Europe. Handing out the plastic gloves to eat was also a new one on me as was cream of mushroom latte. But, that is why I like going new places, you see different things and Hong Kong was certainly different than the US and Europe :)

I will be staying at Disney Hollywood Hotel and look forward to the lighting system there. The Disney cruise ships have similar features but I did not pay attention to the light on/off settings. This is actually pretty neat. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I wish I could live closer to any Disney parks! I can be on Cloud 9 everyday! :love:

Glad you enjoyed HKDL! I wasn't very impressed on my first trip, but the second one I absolutely loved it (April 26 - looks like I was there just a few days after you :) ). I agree that a day is enough for this park. It's a decent size but a lot of that is more due to how spread out everything is. I haven't been the biggest fan of Mystic Manor either time I've ridden it, give me Haunted Mansion any day, but how awesome is Grizzly Mountain! The TNT scene in particular is so cute and awesome at the same time. Easily a top 3 Disney attraction for me.

For the amount of people that were around for the parades and fireworks, the wait times for rides has always been reasonable in my experience. I think the longest I waited all day was just over 5 minutes for Space Mountain.

Did you watch Disney in the Stars? I think it's the best presented fireworks that I've seen at a Disney park.

I'm in the same predicament with my frequent flyer status... I'm less than one trip short of maintaining my status, better get on top of that!

One oddity, I got into the room and none of the lights worked. I called down to the front desk and they asked if I put my card in the slot. I had never seen anything like that.

Everywhere I've stayed outside the USA this is common (haven't been to Europe though). Recently stayed in 4 different hotels in Asia and all of them had this feature.

I missed the fireworks, I got there too late on Friday and by the time they started on Saturday I was in the city. I'll keep an eye on air fares and if I can find another ticket like this, I'll go again for sure and stay longer (and bring the family). Probably at exactly the same time of year, the weather was perfect and the lines were short.

But, I really want to make it to Tokyo, so that will probably be first and it seems that needs 2 days for sure, maybe a 3rd.

I think reading up about the park set my expectations, which were honestly a bit low due to the small amount of attractions ... the park really exceeded them. Though I am in my mid 40s now, I think if I went in my teenage years, I would have been less happy, because it was all about the rides then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter