First time @ WDW

erk711

Mouseketeer
We're finally heading east! We'll be staying a week at the end of April and will want to get to all parks plus Universal. If we combine 2 yrs points we should be good at almost any of the hotels.

Which hotel should us first timers try, and why?

TIA!! Liz

We're finally heading east! We'll be staying a week at the end of April and will want to get to all parks plus Universal. If we combine 2 yrs points we should be good at almost any of the hotels.

Which hotel should us first timers try, and why?

TIA!! Liz

We need more info! How many in your party? Kids? What size room? What are your preferences as far as what you want to do? Will you be doing the parks? Want resort/pool/relaxation time? :confused3.

All of this information will help you get better answers

Seems like you may be over doing it. As an owner you will be staying at all of the resorts and visiting all of the parks over and over again. I realize that you are excited, we have all been there. Looking back I wish that our family had focused on quality and not quantity.

As posted your choice of resort may depend on which park you want to spend time in and the size of you group.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks for helping me focus! You're right, quality time at the resort should be part of our considerations. Time by the pool and a nice dinner would be nice :)

As for the rest, we are a family of 4 (kids 19&20). We can probably work with a 1br suite. Our focus will be MK, Epcot and Universal.

Thanks again, I can feel myself relaxing in that lounge chair already!

Thanks for helping me focus! You're right, quality time at the resort should be part of our considerations. Time by the pool and a nice dinner would be nice :)

As for the rest, we are a family of 4 (kids 19&20). Our focus will be MK, Epcot and Universal.

Thanks again, I can feel myself relaxing in that lounge chair already!

What size room? Will you always be a party of 4 or do you need something larger this vacation?

1 br suite will work as we won't have anyone else joining us.

My standing recommendation is that you pick a resort, record notes about the resort in a diary for future reference, next time stay in a different resort. After a couple of stays at each resort you will have a list of personal favorites and you can forget the rest.

You might want to try BLT, close to MK, a monorail ride to Epcot and the other MK resorts.

My standing recommendation is that you pick a resort, record notes about the resort in a diary for future reference, next time stay in a different resort. After a couple of stays at each resort you will have a list of personal favorites and you can forget the rest. You might want to try BLT, close to MK, a monorail ride to Epcot and the other MK resorts. :earsboy: Bill

Thanks Bill, sounds very convenient.

Good suggestion about keeping notes too!

With four of you, two being older kids, and wanting to keep to a 1BR unit, I would recommend one of the resorts with two bathrooms and a sleeper chair. That way the kids have their own bathroom and they don't have to share a bed. I know this is available at Kidani (AKV), and I believe it is also available at BLT (haven't stayed there yet). I'm sure someone will confirm this for you :thumbsup2 This comes from experience......our "kids" are 24, 22, 20 and they rarely share a bed. OKW may have a sleeper chair as well, but pretty sure only the one bathroom. I agree with Bill, BLT is most convenient for parks! But I have to put in a plug for our favorite, Kidani :lovestruc If you plan on spending time at the resort relaxing and want the space, it is our kids favorite! Whatever you decide, enjoy the east coast parks!!

With four of you, two being older kids, and wanting to keep to a 1BR unit, I would recommend one of the resorts with two bathrooms and a sleeper chair. That way the kids have their own bathroom and they don't have to share a bed. I know this is available at Kidani (AKV), and I believe it is also available at BLT (haven't stayed there yet). I'm sure someone will confirm this for you :thumbsup2 This comes from experience......our "kids" are 24, 22, 20 and they rarely share a bed. OKW may have a sleeper chair as well, but pretty sure only the one bathroom. I agree with Bill, BLT is most convenient for parks! But I have to put in a plug for our favorite, Kidani :lovestruc If you plan on spending time at the resort relaxing and want the space, it is our kids favorite! Whatever you decide, enjoy the east coast parks!!

Thank you for the heads up on the sleeper chair. I assumed it would be in all 1br. Will definitely check sleeping arrangement as they will definitely not share :p

Yes, sleeper chairs are in 1bd at AKV, OKW, and BLT. AKV and BLT have two bathrooms, but OKW only has one (bldg 30 and higher have an entrance to the bathroom from the living room). The OKW bathroom is split, with a sink and tub in one part, and the toilet, shower, and sink in the other. OKW has the largest rooms, which we loved with our kids. It is centrally located to all of the parks. BLT would give you easier access to MK (you can walk). The EP resorts (BCV, BWV) would give you walking access to EP, but you'd need a 2bdrm if the kids don't want to share a bed (or bring an air mattress).

ETA: AKV value 1bd do not have the sleeper chair

While all AKV 1BR (except value) have the sleeper chair, only Kidani has 2 bathrooms in a 1BR. (Jambo was converted from hotel rooms and had a sub-standard master bathroom arrangement (by DVC standards)

Since you mention Universal, parking at Kidani is great, it's under the villas so your car is not wet or baking in the sun. (There are multiple elevators going down to parking) OKW is condo style, so you are still very close to your car. BLT parking is pretty good, but if you are used to walking to a park at DL, at least BLT lets you walk to MK and you can take the monorail to EPCOT.

Kidani, OKW and BLT are all good choices, it just depends on what interests you more.
And since you mention Universal..a number of people suggest getting a room at one of the upper Universal resorts to get their Front of the Line pass (basically you just go straight into all of their fastpass-type lines.)

I agree with the previous posters on BLT. Since, it is you first visit....what's better then a view of the Castle and Space Mountain and the Monorail going by for your first resort stay.

Plus, the lake setting is beautiful. The CR / BLT complex has so much to offer, 3 pools, marina, 3 restaurants (including Chef Mickeys and California Grill), Top of the. World Lounge to watch Wishes.

You are a monorail ride to two deluxe resorts and a boat ride to another.

We have 3 teenage boys and love the extra bathrooms at BLT.

Have a good time reading these boards and taking in all the great information which will help plan a great first trip....Good Luck!:thumbsup2

I would choose BLT for the location, plus I love the resort itself. Have a great trip:goodvibes

While all AKV 1BR (except value) have the sleeper chair, only Kidani has 2 bathrooms in a 1BR. (Jambo was converted from hotel rooms and had a sub-standard master bathroom arrangement (by DVC standards)

BLT one bedrooms also have 2 bathrooms

AKV rooms are very similar in layout to BLT, but will be less in points and I like that! BLT though is in a great location and you just can't beat going up to the Top of the World Lounge and watching the fireworks from the balcony/patio area.

AKV rooms are very similar in layout to BLT, but will be less in points and I like that! BLT though is in a great location and you just can't beat going up to the Top of the World Lounge and watching the fireworks from the balcony/patio area.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone, I appreciate it!

Now for the "Top of the World" lounge. Do you need to be staying at BLT to go there? Are reservations required?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter