First trip to Disneyland and I have questions

TwoKidsaCatandaDog

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are planning an adults only 1 and a half day trip to Disneyland in September. I am the trip planner and have been to Disney World many times but this is my first trip to Disneyland. What are the best full service dining options and also quick service? We will probably need one breakfast, one lunch and two dinners. We’re planning on spending the half day at Disneyland and the next full day in both parks with most of our time spent in Disneyland.
Second question….what are the must-do rides, shows, etc that are not at Disney World? I really want to focus on nostalgic attractions that Walt Disney helped to create. Any other tips/suggestions are also welcome. Thanks!

My husband and I are planning an adults only 1 and a half day trip to Disneyland in September. I am the trip planner and have been to Disney World many times but this is my first trip to Disneyland. What are the best full service dining options and also quick service? We will probably need one breakfast, one lunch and two dinners. We’re planning on spending the half day at Disneyland and the next full day in both parks with most of our time spent in Disneyland.
Second question….what are the must-do rides, shows, etc that are not at Disney World? I really want to focus on nostalgic attractions that Walt Disney helped to create. Any other tips/suggestions are also welcome. Thanks!
We like the Blue Bayou in DL where you eat as the POTC boats go by. We like the Lamplight Lounge in DCA (as well as Carthay Circle which is that park’s signature restaurant). Napa Rose (in the GCH) has the best food on property. For rides, in DL Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White are all unique to DL. Also Pirates is a must-do being much longer and more elaborate than in WDW, It’s a Small World has a much more beautiful outdoor setting, and the Buzz ride is vastly more enjoyable than the WDW one. In DCA there is Cars Land (with Radiator Springs Racers as the premier ride), the Incredicoaster at Pixar Pier, and Grizzly River Run is vastly superior to the disappointing Kali River Rapids. Also check whether Soarin’ is doing the “over California” version as opposed to “around the world”; they do this from time to time in DCA and we enjoy the California version much more.

With that little time, tbh, I’d do max one table service restaurant. Blue Bayou has a lovely setting but their food is, in my experience, mediocre and very expensive-so it depends on how much of a foodie you are, I’d say.

I’d add the FantasyLand attractions that aren’t in WDW to the great list above. Casey’s Circus Train, Storybook canal boats, Mr Toad, Snow White.

CarsLand is a must. The theming of the area is incredible and Radiator Springs Racers is one of my favorite rides. The Disney Gallery has exhibits about the history of the park. There are often models and concept art on display.

I know you don't have a lot of time, but take five minutes or less to stand near the partners statue, look at the entrances to the other parks branching out off the main hub and think about the fact that Walt Disney designed it and now you are standing where he stood and his idea is a reality that you can still walk through.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Looking forward to trying them.

With that little time, tbh, I’d do max one table service restaurant. Blue Bayou has a lovely setting but their food is, in my experience, mediocre and very expensive-so it depends on how much of a foodie you are, I’d say.

I’d add the FantasyLand attractions that aren’t in WDW to the great list above. Casey’s Circus Train, Storybook canal boats, Mr Toad, Snow White.
Thanks so much for your feedback! I am looking forward to Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and the Storybook Canal. I remember riding Mr. Toad at WDW as a child.

CarsLand is a must. The theming of the area is incredible and Radiator Springs Racers is one of my favorite rides. The Disney Gallery has exhibits about the history of the park. There are often models and concept art on display.

I know you don't have a lot of time, but take five minutes or less to stand near the partners statue, look at the entrances to the other parks branching out off the main hub and think about the fact that Walt Disney designed it and now you are standing where he stood and his idea is a reality that you can still walk through.
Great suggestion on the partners statue! Thanks!

How could I have forgotten Storybook Land Canal Boats? So beautiful and relaxing and uniquely DL!

We just got back from a 2 day trip. We only did quick service. We had a nice casual dinner at Jolly Holiday. There was ample seating and the view can't be beat! But this trip our favorite meals were from Galaxy's Edge. Some of our favorites were the breakfast Ronto Wrap (we started out sharing one but then bought another!) and the dinner items at Docking Bay 7. Again we had no problems finding seating and we love the relaxed atmosphere in Galaxy's Edge.

For 1.5 days I would limit my sit down meals to 2.

Personally, I am for having dinner being one of them. Since it is your first visit to DLR, I would say Blue Bayou. I have always thought it was overpriced (as every Disney restaurant is) but we had a wonderful meal on our last visit. (it beat Napa Rose :eek: ) Ask for a table by the water. There is no guarantee but it never hurts to politely inquire. I am also a big fan of Carthay Circle. There menu has changed with covid, so look and see if it is something you would be interested in.

For lunch on one of the days (or brunch if weekend) hit Lamplight Lounge. It is eclectic and unique. Worth going.

Quick Service: Bengal BBQ, Jolly Holiday. And, of course, if you have ever read even 1 Disneyland food posts of mine you will always here me say GET A CHURRO. Make sure it is fresh and hot off the line. ::yes::

Must-do: Pirates of Caribbean is a gazillion times better at DL. Same with Space Mountain. Nostalgic attractions, Fantasyland. Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal, Pinocchio, etc. DCA does not have the nostalgia, but Cars Land is incredible. I also love GOTG ride.

Shows: WOC. Out of all Disney shows, this one is my favorite. If you can splurge, do a dessert party.

Sorry to hijack your thread TwoKids, but I had a simple question as also a first timer, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it, ha ha.

What are the rules around having to use the washroom while in line? There will be my Wife, 2 kids, and I. Is it frowned upon to have one of us take our kid to the washroom and then pass through the crowd to get back to us? Are we able to notify a CM and have them save our spot in the line? Or if that happens, we essentially have to lose our spot? Thanks.

We just got back from a 2 day trip. We only did quick service. We had a nice casual dinner at Jolly Holiday. There was ample seating and the view can't be beat! But this trip our favorite meals were from Galaxy's Edge. Some of our favorites were the breakfast Ronto Wrap (we started out sharing one but then bought another!) and the dinner items at Docking Bay 7. Again we had no problems finding seating and we love the relaxed atmosphere in Galaxy's Edge.
Good idea for breakfast. Thanks!

For 1.5 days I would limit my sit down meals to 2.

Personally, I am for having dinner being one of them. Since it is your first visit to DLR, I would say Blue Bayou. I have always thought it was overpriced (as every Disney restaurant is) but we had a wonderful meal on our last visit. (it beat Napa Rose :eek: ) Ask for a table by the water. There is no guarantee but it never hurts to politely inquire. I am also a big fan of Carthay Circle. There menu has changed with covid, so look and see if it is something you would be interested in.

For lunch on one of the days (or brunch if weekend) hit Lamplight Lounge. It is eclectic and unique. Worth going.

Quick Service: Bengal BBQ, Jolly Holiday. And, of course, if you have ever read even 1 Disneyland food posts of mine you will always here me say GET A CHURRO. Make sure it is fresh and hot off the line. ::yes::

Must-do: Pirates of Caribbean is a gazillion times better at DL. Same with Space Mountain. Nostalgic attractions, Fantasyland. Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal, Pinocchio, etc. DCA does not have the nostalgia, but Cars Land is incredible. I also love GOTG ride.

Shows: WOC. Out of all Disney shows, this one is my favorite. If you can splurge, do a dessert party.
Great suggestions! I will have to check out your food posts. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack your thread TwoKids, but I had a simple question as also a first timer, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it, ha ha.

What are the rules around having to use the washroom while in line? There will be my Wife, 2 kids, and I. Is it frowned upon to have one of us take our kid to the washroom and then pass through the crowd to get back to us? Are we able to notify a CM and have them save our spot in the line? Or if that happens, we essentially have to lose our spot? Thanks.
I would plan to go to the washroom beforehand. While you can technically leave and come back, on some rides it will be a hassle because after certain points there is no good place to exit unless you want to walk all the way tot he entrance and walk back. Plus sometimes you will get nasty looks from ppl if it seems you are skipping the line or the walkway is too narrow. I don't particularly care about getting side eyed but I know some folks do so I thought it's worth mentioning.
There will be no cast members to take your spot if all your party leaves the line.

Since you mentioned nostalgia, do ride the Disney Railroad from the Tomorrowland Station to the Main Street Station. You'll pass through some dioramas of the Grand Canyon and then the Primeval World (dinosaurs). Walt made these for exhibition at one of the World Fairs. They've been upgraded several times over the past decades (although I'm pretty sure the cougars, eagles, skunk, etc. are original 😄) and worth nostalgic a look-see.

I also second Lamplight Lounge for a sit down meal. It's not fussy but it's pretty good and would be faster than Napa, BB, or Carthay.

Last edited:
We are just back from our first trip to DL. You are going to love it.

Only thing to add about restaurants is I see many have recommended Blue Bayou. We went there during our trip, and then saw that they are reportedly closing the restaurant on April 21 with no end date being given. Just be aware that Blue Bayou might not be an option.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I thought it better than starting a new one. We're coming to DLP/DCA in July and I had previously researched some Galaxy's Edge restaurants and the reviews were somewhat underwhelming and I wasn't going to book any. But hubby has since said he'd like to do one or two (even if only quick eats style ones). Are there any recommendations please?

As for general restaurant recommendations, we came in 2015 and did Blue Bayou (really enjoyed it) and I think Cafe Orleans. We are a family of 3 (2 adults and a 12 year old) and character meals are probably a bit young for our son now. Any other recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Thanks!

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I thought it better than starting a new one. We're coming to DLP/DCA in July and I had previously researched some Galaxy's Edge restaurants and the reviews were somewhat underwhelming and I wasn't going to book any. But hubby has since said he'd like to do one or two (even if only quick eats style ones). Are there any recommendations please?

As for general restaurant recommendations, we came in 2015 and did Blue Bayou (really enjoyed it) and I think Cafe Orleans. We are a family of 3 (2 adults and a 12 year old) and character meals are probably a bit young for our son now. Any other recommendations for places to eat are welcome. Thanks!
My fave in DL is French market quick service.

The only place in GE that needs a reservation is Oga’s Cantina. They don’t really have food. Docking Bay 7 has good food and a fun atmosphere. I really like Blue Milk from the Milk Stand.

Many years ago I took the tour " Walking in Walt's Disneyland steps." They had "ear buds" that you could hear the tour guide's voice. It was great. I did lose it when we went to Walt's apartment above the fire station. I could just see him there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter