• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Five fastpasses at once

csw

Earning My Ears
I have been meaning to do a full trip report from our visit Dec 31 to Jan 7 but haven't got around to it. Just wanted to share a little something I am both proud and embarrased about.

We were two familiies with two kids each (aged 14 and 11). I was the group leader for the trip (Disney Nazi became my nickname). I had planned all the events for the week and everything went very well.

On Thursday, I had decided to give everyone a break and let people decide what they wanted to do (except for a PS at Blue Bayou). It was disaster as the parks were very busy and we ended up wondering aimlessly and found that fastpasses for many rides were gone for the day. To make matters worse the park closed early that night (8 p.m.) due to a private function. The group was disappointed with the day, and asked me to take charge and program our final day at DL.

It was on the Friday, Jan 6 - our 4th day in the parks. Very busy and warm (89 degrees). We arrived before the rope drop and I got right to the front while the rest of the group wandered the shops. I gave them instructions to meet me at Space Mountain.

As soon as the rope dropped I walked quickly (did not run as instructed by the CM) to Indiana Jones and got fastpasses for 9:40 a.m.

I proceeded back to Space Mountain where the rest of the group was just at the standby line (15 minute wait). We rode and then we proceeded back to Indiana use to use the fastpasses. When we entered Adventureland, I noticed it was 9:30, so I hurried over to Splash Mountain to get fastpasses. (10:40 return time).

Everyone should know that the Fastpass system actually gives a 5 minute grace period where you can get another fastpass 5 minutes before the stated time on the fastpass. In my case our Indiana Jones fastpass said next FP at 9:40, but really I was able to get another at 9:35.

I got back to the group to find that the CM at the Fastpass return line told us to hold onto our FP as the standby line was only 10 minutes and we can use the FP anytime during the day so long as it is after the start time. (I had heard this rumour, but know had it comfirmed by a CM). We rode Indiana Jones. It was now 10:00 a.m. and DCA was open.

I instructed the group to ride Big Thunder Mountain, as I hopped over to DCA. They were to meet me at Splash Mountain at 10:40.

Everyone should know that the FP systems between DL and DCA are not connected, so you can get FP for both at the same time.

I hurried (did not run) to DCA and proceed to get fastpasses for Soarin (11:40 return time). I heard a rumour that that the FP for Grizzly River Run was not connected to the computer network, so I slipped up the hill to see if I could get FP for GRR. Guess what - it worked! FP for GRR at 11:50

So now I am holding fastpasses for Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Soarin and GRR.

I returned back to DL at 10:30 - I thought lets push it and turned right to get FP for Space Mountain. Got to the FP line at 10:35 exactly. First try in the machine was 10:34 and it rejected me - tried again a few seconds later and bingo - fastpasses for Space Mountain 2:00 return.

So now I am holding FP for Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Soarin, GRR and Space Mountain (eight of each) - I could bearly fit my wallet in my pocket.

Returned to Splash Mountain where the group was just arriving. They had done BMTR and a bit of shopping. We did Splash Mountain using our FP and then proceeded over to DCA. Note, I should have noticed that the return time for the Space Mountain was 2:00 but the window for another FP was 11:35 - so I could have got another FP at DL before heading over.

We arrived at DCA at about 11:40, so I hurried over to TOT and got FP for it (12:30 return).

FP in hand - Indiana Jones, Space Moutain, Soarin, GRR, and TOT

We did Soarin and then went over to GRR. When we got off of GRR I went and got another set of FP (1:00ish return time).

FP in hand - Indiana Jones, Space Moutain, TOT and GRR

It was time to return for the TOT FP - but only half the group liked the ride. SO four of us had two FP and when on the ride twice in a row. I handed over control of the park passes and gave instructions to proceed to California Screamin and obtain fastpasses.

When we were done with the TOT, we headed over over to Screamin and the FP were ready to be used. We did some of the over rides in DCA and then returned about 3:00 p.m. to DL, where they took our 2:00 Space Mountain FP without hesitation.

About 3:00 we finally used our 9:40 FP for Indiana Jones - again no questions asked.

We went to ESPN for a late lunch/early supper and then returned to the park. We did BMTR and a couple of the dark rides in Fantasyland. At 9:00 we had a great view of Fantasmic and the Fireworks (only time we got to see them as they had been cancelled on all the other nights we were there due to the weather and winds). After that we immediately went on Pirates to get out of the crowds (no wait for the ride at all). The evening was relaxing and since we had all gone on our favourite rides at least once or twice that day, there were no regrets or stressing about standby lines.

The group was happy and I was just a little tired from the quick walking (never once ran).

So I know I "abused" the FP system, but I prefer to think of it as making full use of the system. If you work hard enough you can have more than one FP at a time.

uhhh....I'm glad you managed to get your group to all the rides but it doesn't sound like YOU had any relaxing time at all. I've been known to overplan my visits to Disney and act like a drill seargeant but I think I'll show your post to my family so that they can see that there's somebody worse than me!!! :rotfl:

I think I need wheels to keep up with you!!!! :moped:

I love the fastpass system. I know I'm guilty of having multiple fast passes at the same time as I'm sure everyone else on the board is. It is amusing to me how many people go to DL and don't get FP because they think they cost extra or that they are a ride. You would think they would find this out before hand. It does leave more for us who actually know what we are doing!

From one Disney Nazi to another -- you go girl! :thumbsup2 (I was dubbed that during our first trip to WDW! BUT they all certainly got maximum benefit from my planning!)
I was ready to do something similar to you but fortunately for us we were there with virtually no crowds. We did use them the first day (MLK Day) AND so I could prove to my DH that the end time didn't really matter (he didn't believe me or all the helpful people here on the DIS!)

:thumbsup2 The world needs more of us to keep things running smoothly and efficiently!!!!

I'm thoroughly impressed! :worship:

Well, in case you'd like to know, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is also disconnected from the system (like Grizzly). So if you really wanted to, you could have had six fast passes at one time! ;)

I personally congratulate you on your success as the Disney Nazi. My husband won't allow it. I had planned weeks in advance on the route, how to do it, what to do and when. He promptly threw it out before we left the hotel room stating he didn't want to be controlled by a plan. But, then I pulled out my itinerary for PSs and he *had* to comply. lol. I should also show this post to my husband so he knows it does work, especially since we will not have the enhanced fastpass this visit.

i get a kick out of helping others max their disney time also
it's fun
when we go husband takes the tickets and fastpass hops with teenagers and gets in a few quick rides while little ones and grparents visit fanasty land during the morning, meet for lunch and divide passes and groups.
works even better with aaa enhanced fast passes.

last went christmas vacation 2004 with 5 family groups total of 21 people
very crowded but we had a great time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter