Flight and WDW with a 2 year old ?

Martin S

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the transatlantic flight and 2 weeks in WDW with a two year old ? If so, what was it like - a nightmare or OK ?

We're just about to have our first baby in 3 weeks time and I am trying to work out when the earliest practical time is to go back to WDW again, Its been 18 months since our last trip and I'm having serious withdrawl symptoms already !! Having looked at the Families board 2 years old seems to be the earliest sensible time for the toddler to enjoy the characters etc but what about that 9 hour flight ?

Any advice really appreciated !!

Martin

Our DD was 2years 6months and DS was 4 years on our last trip a few months ago and we were dreading the flight. However the flight was not a problem DS watched cartoons and DD slept and watched cartoons (Travelled on Virgin). The biggest problem was the first three days as they adjusted to the time difference (Up at 2am 1st Day, and then wanting to sleep at midday).

Once they had adjusted they both had a great time, DS would hug the characters, but DD was a little wary and cried her eyes out when Minnie came upto her)

The flight home was more of a problem as both would sleep for about 2 hours at a time, so DW and I didn't get any sleep on the plane.

BTW it took three days to re-adjust to the time difference when we came home.

I think the younger the child, the easier the flight, but if you want the child to actually get something out of the trip then 2 is probably the youngest they will appreciate it. I would take a younger child, but it would be for my benefit, rather than theirs.

I took my dd to New York at 11 months to visit friends - the flight was pretty painless - I booked a sky cot, and she slept most of the way, and sat in the sky cot and played for the rest of the trip. The return trip she slept. I would be lying if I said it was a breeze, but once she fell asleep it was no bother.

Since then, we've taken her to Orlando twice at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2, neither trip was a problem, although seatback tv's certainly make for an easier flight - the 1st year we had them and she just watched tv for the entire flight, last year there were no tv's and she mostly listen to story tapes on her walkman, but it was more difficult to keep her entertained.

the time difference is a problem, but we just got up early with her, which got us to the parks early, and then when she wanted to sleep we put her in her stroller and kept on going - she seemed to get sorted out pretty quickly.

Bev

Our DD was 22 months when we went last year. Going she coped very well considering. The tvs weren't that useful for her as she wouldn't wear the headphones but we took lots of things she liked to keep her occupied like books and tweenies/Bob the builder sticker books with lots of stickers plus she had a long nap. She lasted well till the last hour and half but then we just took it in turns walking up and down the aisle with her. Quite a few mums and dads were doing the same.

On the way back we were really lucky as she fell asleep as soon as we got on the plane and didn't wake up till we arrived, with some great effort. We had kept her busy that last day and tried to keep her nap short so I think that helped.

With regards to characters it took her a few days before she would go near any of them and then it was only the cute cuddly ones such as Mikey/Minnie/Chip&Dale/Donald Duck, etc, by the end of the holiday she was cuddling them all but still wouldn't go near the big ones such as goofy or the scarey villains. I have to say that the characters are very good with the little ones.

They can have a great holiday at WDW even at that age as there is so much for them to enjoy just so long as you let them go at their own pace.

Annmarie

Hi Martin,

We first took our DD when she was 2 1/2, I know that it would largely depend on the child but we really didn't have any problems at all.

We flew with Delta as we did a stopover in Georgia to see someone, so there were no seat back TVs for entertainment, the best thing i took was a little wipe board and crayons which kept her occupied for hours (literally) on the plane.

A lot of people said to me that she was too young, but quite honestly I don't agree, she had an amazing time and remembered it for a long time afterwards, when we went back last year she remembered things that I'd forgotten! (although i'm sure the video helped)

The buggy was essential, she loved the characters, but unfortunately tended to get pushed in front of a lot assumingly because she was small and not an experienced queuer so one of us ended up queuing with her. I noticed when we went back last year though, the waits for characters seemed a lot more organised that in the past so hopefully they're on top of that?

HTH

We took our son on his first WDW holiday when he was 2 years and 1 month old. He didn't seem to mind the flight very much, but the heat of the parks affected him. We just took lots of breaks and went back to the hotel in the afternoon to relax around the pool.

If you do take a toddler you will be seeing the parks at 'Toddler Pace' and too much will over do it.

I agree with some of you, our son didn't like wearing the headphone either, I don't know why though??!
Virgin Atlantic staff were REALLY nice and very friendly, they helped him when he was getting restless by giving him some toys from 'up the front' of the plane.
The hotel staff at Portofino Bay and AK Lodge were really friendly too and he enjoyed the hotels, especially seeing the animals at AK Lodge, although he was nervous at first.

He loved IoA especially Seuss Landing, but he could have stayed in MK forever, especially PPflight!.

Thanks for the great advice and making my mind up for me. :p Sounds like 2 years time it is then in late October so that it wont be too hot. As long as we've got a trip planned I can last out !

We were thinking of the AKL so its good to hear about a 2yr old liking the animals. As you can see I havent quite got my head round at what age they start to appreciate or understand things, it'll come with experience I suppose. :D

We took our daughter, then 2 years and a month, at Xmas. Flying Virgin with the seat back TV was a must have, as was having a large stash of 'goodies' to open at intervals.

I'd recommend that you play down the 'going to see Mickey' bit, an over excited child doesn't grasp the concept of tomorrow......

The night before we flew we stayed at the Manor House at Gatwick, we were kept up very late by Charlotte who spent every few minutes leaping out of bed to look out the window to get a glimpse of Mickey.

The Virgin staff were faultless.

Throughout the 2 weeks we had to come to terms with missing out on some aspects of the parks due to exhaustion. The first time we went it was just the four of us (wife, MIL,FIL), one other body made a huge difference ! The bonus was we saw so much more by sharing with Charlotte. A video camera, IMO, is essential at this age, to capture every moment you can for your little one. Charlotte loves watching the videos eight months later.

Hiya,

We went in june for the 1st time with our daughter who was 2 and over half, lol, the flight i was dreading,but she slept after take off,and slept most of the way there,coming home she was up and very lively but cartoons etc kept her amused along with a few toys we had bought in america,and books and pens.
Landing there was a few tears,but its soon forgotten about once you have landed.

The heat does affect them, dd was tired out alot and so you need alot of breaks, buy one of those fans,which sqirt water too,not only do they keep kiddies amused they keep them cool, and alot of bottled water!!

And i agree you find you do the parks at a very slow pace,we didnt get half of the parks done,but we dont mind any excuse to go back ;) i recommend a day at a park then day off round the pool etc,its very tiring...for them and you.

But believe me they'll love it, dd was MADE UP meeting the characters and they take it all in,even now she tells us about mickey,and even relays the fantasmic with us (which is the night parade) !!!

ENJOY its such a magical event.

Beth
:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter