Flight change - now via Chicago on way back

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by Ceilidhscot, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Ceilidhscot

Ceilidhscot Mouseketeer

Was meant to be flying United from Glasgow to Newark (stopover for 3 nights) then onto Orlando (10 nights) at the start of October. Returning same route but with a couple of hours layover at Newar on the way back.

Just had a phone call and email from travel agent saying United will stop the Newark to Glasgow flight from the beginning of October so now having to fly from Edinburgh instead. That’s fine on the way out but the return leg now stops at Chicago instead of Newark. Flight in arrives at 16:35 with the international flight at 18:10. From what I can see, both flights are to / from the same terminal (1). Assuming the luggage would be transferred to the international flight so it would be just us getting between gates - is this do-able in the time given and can someone confirm it is indeed terminal 1 for both flights?

Travel agent said we should be ok but having missed connecting flights before, I know it can be a major pita re-arranging flights and that it would probably be indirect (via Dublin or LHR) so get in much later the following day.

2. wayneg

wayneg Moderator Moderator

I accept anything over 1 hour for return journey (once accepted 55 mins) never had a problem. As you say, no luggage to think about, just get off one plane and onto the next.

Ceilidhscot likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli DIS Veteran

I also think you'll be totally fine. We just did a layover about that long in Frankfurt and despite signs directing us the wrong way and waiting in an immigration line we didn't need to be in we had plenty of time.

Ceilidhscot likes this.
  5. Ceilidhscot

Ceilidhscot Mouseketeer

Thanks! I’m sure it’ll be fine. Worst case scenario is we have to take a later flight (probably via Dublin). DH said he wouldn’t mind an extra night in Chicago either as he’s off the rest of the week lol!

6. Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli DIS Veteran

Funnily enough on Tuesday our flight plan was Dublin>Frankfurt>Calgary. Hubby even had time to get to the duty free store and was at the gate long before they called for boarding.

7. saintrob

saintrob DIS Veteran

With no luggage you should be fine. We've done times such as this at Amsterdam which is a large airport and managed fine.

Ceilidhscot likes this.
  8. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies Near to Tigger's House

We have never had issues at Newark on domestic or international flights, but given the choice I'd take Chicago any day. Such a lovely airport :)

Ceilidhscot likes this.
  9. Pooh's-Honey-Pot

Pooh's-Honey-Pot Secretly prefers Tangled to Frozen...

I've never recovered from a single banana costing me $3 in Chicago airport two years ago when I wanted a snack! Other than that shock, you'll be fine! :-)

bex7583 and Ceilidhscot like this.
  10. disneyholic family

disneyholic family disney on my mind....

really? i so totally hate o'hare!!!!!!!!
    my favorite airport in the US (of those i've traveled through) is the delta terminal at detroit airport...easy to navigate and lots of nice high end stores to waste time in....

that said, there's no problem racing through o'hare on the way back home....an hour is more than enough...

Ceilidhscot likes this.
  11. 1andrea

1andrea DIS Veteran

I prefer Chicago to change over too!! Xx