Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

We are missing a BIG point here. OPs BF did ride already. Second CM was more cautious. He KNEW he COULD fit, but they can't verify that. So what if someone does the rest seat, has a cm try the leg thing, and then when they get to board, next cm says no-go.
Universal experiences the same thing with the Harry Potter rides. Just because one test seat/cm says you will fit does NOT mean the actual loader seat/cm will say the same thing (and vice versa).

I'm not embarrassed to try the seat out front, however I've been in that situation before elsewhere and people passing by don't even bother whispering while they are making fun of you ( some not all of course) is it worth getting upset by rude people? Nope.

This makes me so sad. People are on vacation and having people shaming them could totally ruin their trip. Their hate and judgment may not be visible to the naked eye (it's easy to pick on size since it's visible), but they are some of the worst character traits a person can possess IMO. I sure hope people that are subjected to this rudeness realize that the taunting says more about the rude person than it does about them.

[QUOTE="HopperFan, post: 57675740, member: 55347"the FoP line moves slow and groups are hand picked for specific theaters. This would not impact operation.[/QUOTE]

is this because its a weight load issue? otherwise why the handpicking?

They are picking to fill all available seats. So you tell them how many in your party and they group folks to fill all seats. Also our second ride was on level 2 and they were asking who could do steps to level 3, we opted not too. So they would have us stand to side as they pieced together full rooms.

They have the time length of the pre-show rooms to gather their groups that are moving forward .... what is that something like 8 minutes.

If I am reading OP correctly she said her BF went once and they he was able to ride and then went back and was NOT able to ride a second time?

This could become a problem. If a CM was able to get you in first time there should be NO reason you cant get in a second time. EVERY CM should learn what that CM did to get him.

and I 100% believe in time Disney will tweak those leg restraints. No doubt about it. The 3 times that I rode FOP I see no real use for those leg restraints.

If I am reading OP correctly she said her BF went once and they he was able to ride and then went back and was NOT able to ride a second time?

This could become a problem. If a CM was able to get you in first time there should be NO reason you cant get in a second time. EVERY CM should learn what that CM did to get him.

and I 100% believe in time Disney will tweak those leg restraints. No doubt about it. The 3 times that I rode FOP I see no real use for those leg restraints.
But if you factor in physiology and the fact they waited over an hour to ride FoP the 2nd time versus a short FP wait for ride #1, swelling could have occurred.

Attraction CMs do receive the same training.

There is definitely a use for the leg restraints. If they weren't there you could definitely get the leverage needed to push yourself out of the back restraint. The leg restraints push your leg into the leg container and you would have to do a lot to get your leg out from those to them push yourself up from the back restraint.

When ever a CM (or TM) has to force the restraint closed there may be difference between them. Some people are stronger then others and some are willing to do anything and everything to get someone on a ride while others will do exactly what they are trained to do and no more. Heck even at Universal I've had some TMs assist in closing restraints when others say it is actually against company policy due to liability for a TM to assist.

It really does stink but it does appear this ride has a large range of reasons people aren't fitting. Big guys like John from Big Fat Panda are riding and then I'm seeing people smaller then him have issues so it is so hard to say that it is all people of size. Unfortunately for safety at some point someone just isn't going to be able to ride be it too short, too small, too tall, too big whatever. That is just reality and it boils down to safety.

This makes me so sad. People are on vacation and having people shaming them could totally ruin their trip. Their hate and judgment may not be visible to the naked eye (it's easy to pick on size since it's visible), but they are some of the worst character traits a person can possess IMO. I sure hope people that are subjected to this rudeness realize that the taunting says more about the rude person than it does about them.
::yes::

It's not really hand picking as much as sorting you into final lines which dictate which theater your going to end up in. For example, a wheelchair can't be sorted into a row for the third floor because you walk up steps.. they can disable specific rooms for problems and keep most of the ride operating while that room is repaired so there is less capacity and longer waits if the treat it evenly. Maybe a group is huge and putting them in a specific line lets them sit together instead of split up..

Now they could alter a room or two for a different seat and i personally think they should. maybe it's not exactly the same experience but at least they get an experience.

There is definitely a use for the leg restraints. If they weren't there you could definitely get the leverage needed to push yourself out of the back restraint. The leg restraints push your leg into the leg container and you would have to do a lot to get your leg out from those to them push yourself up from the back restraint.

When ever a CM (or TM) has to force the restraint closed there may be difference between them. Some people are stronger then others and some are willing to do anything and everything to get someone on a ride while others will do exactly what they are trained to do and no more. Heck even at Universal I've had some TMs assist in closing restraints when others say it is actually against company policy due to liability for a TM to assist.

It really does stink but it does appear this ride has a large range of reasons people aren't fitting. Big guys like John from Big Fat Panda are riding and then I'm seeing people smaller then him have issues so it is so hard to say that it is all people of size. Unfortunately for safety at some point someone just isn't going to be able to ride be it too short, too small, too tall, too big whatever. That is just reality and it boils down to safety.

One of my HUGE fears riding was DS would panic at height and try to get out. He's double jointed and strong. The leg restraints go a long way in limiting your leverage as you say. And my fear in him getting out would be the fall off the front ............. once riding and I did a complete inspection of the entire area (missing half the movie) I realized the real danger, and it's a big one. The floor is moving, alot, and it is broken away from the back wall creating a 2 foot vertical gap in wall. If someone got out, the floor moving would likely throw them down and if they slid into that gap ........... shudder. SO all the restraints are very important.

One of my HUGE fears riding was DS would panic at height and try to get out. He's double jointed and strong. The leg restraints go a long way in limiting your leverage as you say. And my fear in him getting out would be the fall off the front ............. once riding and I did a complete inspection of the entire area (missing half the movie) I realized the real danger, and it's a big one. The floor is moving, alot, and it is broken away from the back wall creating a 2 foot vertical gap in wall. If someone got out, the floor moving would likely throw them down and if they slid into that gap ........... shudder. SO all the restraints are very important.

Yep a lot of arm chair engineers on the boards. I can tell you imagineers don't just put a restraint in because it is "cool" or makes you feel the effects. They are there for safety. If it wasn't needed then they wouldn't have put them there.

Are the calf size requirements posted anywhere?

It's not that simple.. It's a combo of where your knee falls, then where your feet end up.. some are shorter so their legs are in a different position than someone longer and now their foot size pushes their leg up or maybe they didn't know to not keep their feet flat if their legs are long enough.. then some have to keep their feet flat.

You have to just try the test seat, there is so many variables to what might not lock when you sit down..

Yep a lot of arm chair engineers on the boards. I can tell you imagineers don't just put a restraint in because it is "cool" or makes you feel the effects. They are there for safety. If it wasn't needed then they wouldn't have put them there.

My armchair imagineering is more like "why can't I have a seatbelt AND a lap bar" "why can't I have two locks on the harness instead of one" and sometimes we just get down to ... "why did I get on this ride" along with white knuckles.

Universal handles this pretty well. There is a way. Will people know to look for it? that's where the challenge is but a small "test seat" with an arrow sign will help that.

Most of Universals are right at the entrance to the ride so not really out of the way either. I guess Disney could have put this one by the stroller parking but then they have to have a stroller CM who may or may not be an attractions CM work it so an entire group needs additional training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter