Flooring recommendation for kitchen

mrsstats

<font color=blue>Sure sister's cat is as big as a
I have vinyl flooring now which I am happy with but it is starting to show signs of wear. I have a modest small home so no looking for anything high end. 1 dog, no kids, 2 adults so not a lot of wear and tear. Looking for something low maintenance and affordable. Suggestions?

Tile. And if you are handy you can do it yourself and it is really cheap.

I am old and miss the vinyl kitchen floors - easy to clean, soft on the feet, durable. I would not put vinyl in a house now - unless you were certain that you weren't going to sell it. I call it the House Hunters effect. They do have fancy, high-end vinyl now.

Do not put wood in there - or laminate. When I moved into my current house, there was wood in the kitchen. Which looked great until the dishwasher leaked. I would consider the tile that looks like wood.

I have the same question. Someone recommended premium vinyl tile that is supposed to be more water resistant and scratch resistant than wood/laminate. I think it installs like laminate (in pieces). Has anyone done the luxury/premium vinyl tile?

I have the same question. Someone recommended premium vinyl tile that is supposed to be more water resistant and scratch resistant than wood/laminate. I think it installs like laminate (in pieces). Has anyone done the luxury/premium vinyl tile?
It's actually called luxury vinyl plank and it's beautiful for any application where durability and ease of care is important. It's not particularly inexpensive though, if budget is the main consideration. Mannington makes a very high-end one. We had it installed when we renovated and absolutely LOVE it. I'm not one bit worried about it ruining my re-sale value either. ;)

It's actually called luxury vinyl plank and it's beautiful for any application where durability and ease of care is important. It's not particularly inexpensive though, if budget is the main consideration. Mannington makes a very high-end one. We had it installed when we renovated and absolutely LOVE it. I'm not one bit worried about it ruining my re-sale value either. ;)
That is what we have in our bathrooms, put in 3 years ago, love it.
We put laminate in the kitchen, and the designers on the 4 bids we got all swore it would hold up fine. So far so good, 3 years down the road.

I had a dishwasher leak with vinyl flooring, it destroyed it. I think a water leak like that is going to destroy any floor but tile, and even then it may wipe out the subfloor below (unless you have a slab)

They do sell laminate that is water resistant/proof. My grandfather has it. Can't speak to how well it holds up in a leak, but he can mop it normally and has spilled his share of things on it, and he hasn't had any buckling issues, etc. The floor also looks like hardwoods, so its very nice. We have ceramic tile which I like, but it was more expensive and it was hard for me to pick grout, colors, etc.

I am not worried about the resale of the house. Not a DIY project as we are old. LOL

We just installed this in our bathroom this past weekend. We wanted something that could easily be installed over our existing floor and since it's floating, this was perfect. We went with a gray wood look which I love. Super easy too.

We just bought tile from Lowe's for our basement. It's a ceramic, wood look (brown), attractive, and we paid only 90cents a square foot! I think with Lowe's, YMMV, but it's worth looking into to see if you like the look. Search for "Acadia Brown".

We put that in our bathrooms about 8 years ago. Our brand was called Konnecto. It's held up well.

As others have said, definitely no laminate! When we bought our house, it had laminate in the kitchen. The previous owners really goofed up because there had been an undiagnosed leak from the dishwasher. When they told the builder there was a bubble in the original vinyl, the builder said it was a "defect" and paid for new flooring. The then owners bought and installed their own laminate - and the floor warped again. The leak was not discovered until we had a water intrusion incident that started in a bathroom and spread, resulting in everything being pulled up in the kitchen.

We had a slate look luxury vinyl tile put in our kitchen over a year ago and I love it! We have 2 teens and 3 dogs. There are no scratches or damage and it's a high traffic floor. It does not show anything and is much nicer to walk on than our old ceramic tile.

They are big 14" tiles on a square brickwork pattern with gray grout. We do plan to sell in a few years so we'll see how it goes. We also have laminate wood floors that have held up well. Hopefully we won't be the only ones to appreciate the flooring choices but they can replace if it bothers them.

I had premium vinyl installed in one of my rental houses, after seeing it I installed it into my bedrooms. My only concern is my renter might steal the flooring as they leave.

We just replaced the floor in our kitchen after a dishwasher leak damaged our hardwood floors. We went with cork and I love it! It looks wonderful and feels great to stand on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter