Flying Delta

UKPhil

Mouseketeer
We've just started planning a trip for November this year. Previously flown direct on Virgin or BA but at this short notice the best we can get is Delta from either Manchester or Gatwick.

Does anyone have any experience, good, bad or indifferent? I know the flights are indirect and can live with that as the times are still OK (as is the price) but what about aircraft quality? food? entertainment? staff attitudes? delays?

Any info gratefully received!

Delta are a reasonable "run of the mill" US airline. No real complaints, but nothing really outstanding. They do "flightshare" with Virgin ( or they used to) so it is possible you'd still be on a Virgin flight but they also fly in direct themselves. I think Atlanta is their hub. The seats are usually a little bigger than UK based airlines, the aircraft were ok without being outstanding ( this is going back probably 3 years now) . Food was on a par with Virgin, as with a lot of American airlines you do get a fair share of more mature hostesses, sometimes this is good, sometimes not , as with any crew you can always get an exception that means you have a very different experience of the crew's attitude

My experiences with them have been pretty non descript, nothing that would stop me flying them if the price was right, but nothing that would make me pay extra to fly them.

We flew with Delta at Christmas and I would echo what Vernon has already said. They were fine, but un-memorable. I would use them again if the need arose. Carolyn

Delta nolonger codeshare with Virgin (they used to, as Vernon said): Virgin now codeshare with Continental instead.

Sorry I can't help with much information about Virgin: I flew with them last about 15 years ago (and that was in Business Class) - they will have changed a LOT since then ;-).

As far as US cariers go, I believe that Delta is pretty standard (like Continental, United), US Airways is supposed to be pretty good (good entertainment system), American Airlines have the best legroom for economy class (34" seat pitch compared with the standard 31/32").

I tend to try and fly direct to my destination if possible: either you have to take a connecting flight, then you waste time at the connecting airport and more chance of your luggage going missing...

Still, son't worry about your flight - its what's at the other end that is important ;-)

Boo

Phil,

We're in the same boat as you! We went last year direct with Virgin from Gatwick and it was a bloomin' nightmare travelling back home. It took us over 5 hours to get home (Staffordshire) and my hubby said never again!

I've just checked the US Airways website and they do seem to have the best entertainment system as you're able to control all your own films i.e. start/pause/rewind/forward etc. Also their seat pitch is also one of the largest at 33 - 34" which is the same as American Airlines. Do you mind me asking how much you've been quoted as ebookers are quoting £292.70 adult and £178.70 for kids plus a £10 discount if you book online.

I'm not really looking forward to flying indirect but at the same time it's not different from driving to/from Gatwick really.

If anyone has any comments good or bad about US Airways could you let me know.

Thanks

Lisa

We are also flying with Delta from Gatwick. We couldn't get a direct flight at all and we booked ours last yr. We were a group of 12 going that is why no one could accommodate us on a direct flight. Now there are only 7 of going. We have to go via Atlanta going and Cincinnatti coming back. Our seats are priced at around £469 - I don't know whether that's a good or bad price. Anyway I just hope they get me there in one piece (hate flying lol)

ttfn

We flew Delta non direct via Atlanta in Feb and would choose this route again. Legroom was good transfer at Atlanta a breeze and we were upgraded on the Atlanta - Orlando leg. I think we arrived less hassled and cooler!
We had a chance at Atlanta to freshen up and clear imigration (much quicker then orlando)
No double baggage reclaim at Orlando and a quick getaway from the airport.
All in all quite impressed by both service and comfort.
We also prefer to break the trip because DH has had a stroke and it gives his circulation a chance to get going if we have a break. Plus he gets to play on the subway system at Atlanta airport!;)
P.S. pm me if you need to know more!

Originally posted by lisag1
I'm not really looking forward to flying indirect but at the same time it's not different from driving to/from Gatwick really.

If anyone has any comments good or bad about US Airways could you let me know.

Thanks

Lisa

We flew with US Airways in February Manchester-Philadelphia-Orlando. They were really good. They have brilliant seatback entertainment systems that you operate yourself. You choose the film/tv programme and start/stop it as you wish. No more waiting for the next loop to start!! Philiadelphia is and OK airport, much the same as all the others - customs were quite organised though so not much queueing.

Hope that helps.

We are flying with Delta in July so by the sounds of this thread we will be a little disappointed!! Still, as Boo says - it's what's at the other end that counts :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Sue,

Thanks for that - very reassuring :D What do you think of the fares quoted? £292 adult and £178 kids tax included.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter