For a 14-hour flight, what would you pay to upgrade to premium select on Delta?

I generally like bulkhead seats. I only need my phone and headphones during the flight, so not having my bag in front of me isn't an issue. It can be a little annoying if your seats are right up against the bathroom, but even that usually isn't too bad.
Great! Thank you. That’s what I was hoping.

All this talk of bulkhead… We have Norse flight JFK to Rome in 2 weeks and DH recently switched from economy to premium (pretty sure there are only those 2 categories). He chose the front row, which I think is the bulkhead, right? I pointed out how many other seats were already booked and it seemed all were avoiding it. Maybe there’s a good reason.

He liked the idea of nobody sitting in front of us, so no reclining into us.

But now I’m thinking there might be more negatives we hadn’t considered. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, those are probably bulkhead.

In addition to having to put all of your stuff in the overhead, SOME bulkhead seats (at least on Delta) have their personal monitor on an "arm" instead of mounted on the bulkhead itself. The arm needs to be stowed until 10K feet and stowed for the last 10 minutes or so of the flight and taxiing.

All this talk of bulkhead… We have Norse flight JFK to Rome in 2 weeks and DH recently switched from economy to premium (pretty sure there are only those 2 categories). He chose the front row, which I think is the bulkhead, right? I pointed out how many other seats were already booked and it seemed all were avoiding it. Maybe there’s a good reason.

He liked the idea of nobody sitting in front of us, so no reclining into us.

But now I’m thinking there might be more negatives we hadn’t considered. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
It's a very polarizing debate. Some people love the bulkhead and some hate it. I am a diabetic that brings my own snacks and drinks on to the plane with me so I have everything I need. I don't want to have to get up and get into the overhead to get those things. I also have my phone, headphones, e-reader. In many airlines the seats are slightly narrower in the bulkhead than they are elsewhere due to needing to have the screen and/or tray table in the armrest. I'm 6'3" 210lbs, I can use every extra bit of space I can get.
Some people love it for the reason your husband talked about. No one with the possibility of reclining into "your" space. There is usually a few extra inches of space on the floor. On many airlines you can get out from the window without disturbing the other pax.

when we were flying from chicago to london just a few days before we left I was checking our resverations to see we had an offer from american 350$ PP for first class I jumped on that deal fast

so glad I did it--the lounge was wonderful so quite and all the food and drink they had out
I surprissed my DH with this and it was funny cause we took the coach USA bus from Milwaukee to Chicago
so decided on the noon bus--so day before DH says maybe we can take the later bus which was just a little over an hr later
I talked him into keeping the ealier bus if we were going to be able to sit in the lounge I wanted to stay there a long a I could
he was glad to once he found out about the upgrade
oh and the seats turned into beds great sleeping

you will for sure enjoy the upgrade

It's a very polarizing debate. Some people love the bulkhead and some hate it. I am a diabetic that brings my own snacks and drinks on to the plane with me so I have everything I need. I don't want to have to get up and get into the overhead to get those things. I also have my phone, headphones, e-reader. In many airlines the seats are slightly narrower in the bulkhead than they are elsewhere due to needing to have the screen and/or tray table in the armrest. I'm 6'3" 210lbs, I can use every extra bit of space I can get.
Some people love it for the reason your husband talked about. No one with the possibility of reclining into "your" space. There is usually a few extra inches of space on the floor. On many airlines you can get out from the window without disturbing the other pax.
Great! Thank you. We’re going to give a try. It’s worth a shot.

Whenever we decide to take a long flight (8+ hours) we always go for Delta 1. So, yes I'd say go for the upgrade if you can swing it.
I have been agonizing over premium select and delta 1 to a flight to Rome from NYC. I have friends who say PS was great but I am just not sure. I am platinum right now and we typically pay for FC domestic as I don’t want to hedge on being upgraded. You have helped me make up my mind. Going for it. Will be paying for one ticket with points. Hopefully that doesn’t mean a downgrade if overbooked?

I have been agonizing over premium select and delta 1 to a flight to Rome from NYC. I have friends who say PS was great but I am just not sure. I am platinum right now and we typically pay for FC domestic as I don’t want to hedge on being upgraded. You have helped me make up my mind. Going for it. Will be paying for one ticket with points. Hopefully that doesn’t mean a downgrade if overbooked?

After a horrific experience years ago being crammed in like sardines on a U.S. Air redeye from PHL-FCO the day of a Med cruise (blame my sister, it was even an connecting flight!) I vowed never again to do a transatlantic flight in regular economy. I'm 5'10", most of which is leg, and my body was legitimately in pain for the whole first day of the cruise. And that was in my late 20s! To me the premium seat is a necessity, not a luxury, so I pay. I only have tinfoil status with Delta, but even for our Disney flights this fall I ponied up for domestic FC. I have heard that upgrades are more common leaving from NYC, but I can't chance my comfort.

I went ahead and did it, $500 each direction. I also picked the bulkhead window seat, so I can fully stretch out and enjoy the view.
Do you know if this class is anything like Delta's comfort plus seating?? We are considering that class for our trip to Universal.

Do you know if this class is anything like Delta's comfort plus seating?? We are considering that class for our trip to Universal.
Premium select is similar to domestic first class. You get a wider seat with more legroom, a footrest, and a larger screen. Comfort plus is a normal economy seat with extra legroom.

Premium Select:
1717437470753.png

Comfort Plus:
1717437516654.png

Premium select is similar to domestic first class. You get a wider seat with more legroom, a footrest, and a larger screen. Comfort plus is a normal economy seat with extra legroom.

Premium Select:
View attachment 865537

Comfort Plus:
View attachment 865538
Thank you so much for explaining that and with the great pictures:) It's only a 2 hour flight, but my son is 6ft2 inches with long legs, so comfort plus would work for us.

Thank you so much for explaining that and with the great pictures:) It's only a 2 hour flight, but my son is 6ft2 inches with long legs, so comfort plus would work for us.
There is a guy on YouTube named Jeb Brooks that does a lot of flight reviews and he has a video comparing premium economy on the 3 legacy carriers (Comfort Plus is Delta's version of premium economy for domestic flights). Even breaks out a measuring tape for the seats! I found his videos very helpful when determining what to book even though I knew I would go with Delta. Just be aware that depending on the model of plane, it may look a bit different.

We just had our first flight to the UK last weekend. We did not upgrade our seats. Trying to sleep in those economy seats on a redeye is a nightmare. Our current plan for our next European vacation is to upgrade for the redeye and do economy for the daytime flight home.

This thread is making me scared for my 14 hour flight in economy from DC to Tokyo lol Premium economy was $3000 more which I cannot do. I'm on ANA this time so hopefully it won't be *that* bad. Last time I flew to Tokyo I did Premium economy on United and it was...fine? Not great but not horrible.

There is a guy on YouTube named Jeb Brooks that does a lot of flight reviews and he has a video comparing premium economy on the 3 legacy carriers (Comfort Plus is Delta's version of premium economy for domestic flights). Even breaks out a measuring tape for the seats! I found his videos very helpful when determining what to book even though I knew I would go with Delta. Just be aware that depending on the model of plane, it may look a bit different.

Thank you so much, Kyleene:) I will definitely check this out. I have to fly Delta as I have a cancelled flight credit to use.

This thread is making me scared for my 14 hour flight in economy from DC to Tokyo lol Premium economy was $3000 more which I cannot do. I'm on ANA this time so hopefully it won't be *that* bad. Last time I flew to Tokyo I did Premium economy on United and it was...fine? Not great but not horrible.
I wouldn't have paid that much either, especially for three people. Just plan on lack of sleep on the redeye and being tired the next day - you'll be fine! Although I only nodded off for a few minutes on our redeye, I functioned better than expected the next day, and the nice thing is at least it was quiet with low lighting which made being crammed in the back of the plane more tolerable!

Depends on your size. I'm 6'3" 210 lbs. I'm not spending 14 hours in a domestic carriers econ seat unless I absolutely have to.

Depends on your size. I'm 6'3" 210 lbs. I'm not spending 14 hours in a domestic carriers econ seat unless I absolutely have to.
Amen. Economy seats and modern pack em in like sardines cabin configurations are just not built for tall people. Even that 7 hr flight to Rome was miserable, I couldn’t imagine doing a long haul to Asia like that. For shorter and smaller people, maybe. But I have to pay the tall tax—one of the main reasons I got into points and miles tbh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter