For those cancelling how are..

mom42860

<font color=FF99FF>I am still invisible<br><font c
A question for those who have cancelled WDW trips, how are you explaining this to your children? And how are you feeling? We decided to cancel for a few reasons; uncertainty of when Logan will reopen, fear of something else happening while we are away, not being able to enjoy ourselves, etc... But of course it has so been hard telling the children, and I am finding it difficult to even read the forums after planning so long. I feel so guilty being sad about this when others are dealing with so much more so I just curious how others are feeling.

We are also canceling our trip for next week. We were to be there for our daughter's 4th birthday. Fortunately I think she is too young to really understand what she will be missing. We just told her we would go another time. We said that something really bad happened in our country and so we couldn't go to WDW. Since she really has no concept of time, telling her we would go in a few months makes no difference to her.

I feel badly for people having to break the news to older children, but children have to learn about disappointment too. Plus, I guess there is no comparison between being disappointed about not going on vacation and the many people who have lost loved ones.

I feel upset because my plans have changed, but again, I see how in the scheme of things my feelings don't matter all that much at this moment.

I think no one should or should have cancelled their Disney World trip except if the airplane flight was cancelled and replacement flights were too late to leave enough time to enjoy Disney World.

The airlines are in financial trouble because too many people cancelled trips off in the future as well.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp planned
*no longer exists

This cannot be easy for anybody faced with making this decision. I thank GOD that we don't have a trip planned for anytime in the near future or we would be agonizing ourselves.
About the kids - I have always been amazed at how resilient they are. I am sure that once gotten over the initial disappointment, they will do OK.
:)

I think everyone needs to handle this in their own way. To tell someone they should not have cancelled is up to each individual. It is a very tough time and everyone needs to do what they need to do.

I AGREE 100 % WITH TINKERBELL. PEOPLE WHO CANCELLED THEIR TRIPS WAS THEIR DECISION AND PEOPLE WHO DECIDE TO GO IS THEIR DECISION. I AM ONE WHO CANCELLED. I LOST PEOPLE I KNEW & IT IS JUST TO FRESH RIGHT NOW TO ENJOY SUCH A TRIP. MY 6YR OLD DD WAS UPSET AT FIRST BUT UNDERSTOOD AND KNOWS THAT WE WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE IT THERE. JUST HAD TO VENT. THANKS

We haven't cancelled -- yet. I'm really hopeful that my DD and I will be able to go for our 11/29 - 12/3 trip. We've really been looking forward to it. Nevertheless, it is hard to predict what the future holds and if things get crazy, we might need to cancel. My husband, who will not be going with us, has taken a "wait and see" attitude. He's not completely comfortable and I will not compromise his comfort and well-being for our trip. (Gosh, I sure hope we can go!)

My 6 year old DD does not know much about what is happening with respect to the 9/11 attack. Fortunately, her school did not turn on the televisions and subject the children to the repeated viewing of the plane crashing into the WTC tower. We also did not have the TV on at home (nor did her caregiver) while she was awake. We've explained only minimally what is going on -- it's all she can process.

While I'm hopeful that we won't have to change our plans, it may come to that. Sure, she'll be disappointed, but it isn't her first disappointment and won't be her last. I figure I can fake an illness if I need to. That being said, what all of our children crave most is TIME with their parents. So, I will still take some time off of work and spend time with her. It might just be to go the YMCA pool or an afternoon of shopping where we can ride the escalators for an hour for fun or going to the "hands' on" museum -- something. There must be fun things to do close to home for everyone. It's not the greatest substitute for WDW, and we will go back there again, but it can still be a special time.

That's my two cents!

Like Sandi, our trip is a few months away. DH will also be staying home this time (just DD, me & my mom). DH & I have talked about different possiblities. Everything is paid for & we're just waiting to see what happens. I'm still (tentatively) planning on going, the only question is whether we fly as planned, take the train or drive (about 18 hours).

The hard part is DD turns 4 right before we get there & she has been talking about her "birthday trip to Mickey's House" for a year now. Her disappointment would break my heart, but I would never jeopardize her in any way. She does know that bad people don't like our country & the airplanes aren't working right now (we're near an AFB & they fly right over our house), so if necessary, we can tell her the planes are still not working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter