For those "we eat 90 % of meals in room" people....How much do you spend on groceries?

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
We are doing a trip in a month from now. DH, DD, DIL and 6 grandkids ages 4, 5, 5,8, 11, 16 and myself. So ten people in two rooms. No TS. One day we will eat counter service in Epcot. (more space to spread out.)
Plans are ....

breakfast in room, cereal, waffles, breakfast sandwich, bagels, juice, milk, fruit

Lunch in park, either ham/turkey/ cheese or PB&J sandwiches, cookies, chips/gold fish , water , juice box

Dinner in room, chicken nuggets, hot dogs/sausage, mac & cheese, frozen fish, salad, veggies , etc

No steak, lobster or cavier.

Adding it all up, pushing $400. actually it's more, but not counting paper plates, cups, etc and laundry detergent. , I know there are real plates in the 2 bedroom, but that's more work too. We will use some of them but there wouldn't be enough for all of us anyway.

Looking at list , it seems like ton of food. Anyone else get shocked at shopping list for disney?

But then again, I've never planned on feeding 10 people for days on end.

It honestly doesn’t sound like enough :duck:

if you try to “skimp” you might end up with not enough food and then need another grocery trip and/or more eating in the parks.

for reference, we’re a family of 5, central Florida locals, and we spend 350+ a week (lots of organic but just food. Not plates or detergent). I’m doing prices in my head and with just food, I’d estimate you’ll need about 500 or so (and both fridges! And two carts. So much food). Juice, condiments, jumbo bags of chip etc dont end up contributing much to hunger but do contribute to the overall bill. We don’t do snack foods in our budget (we do meat, flour, veggies, fruit, eggs).

kids 5 and up are eating 1500+~ calories a day, and they can knock back some cereal and sandwiches quickly!

Maybe aim for 500 for food and 100(ish) for everything else, and two carts plus lots of room to put everything. (I’m assuming Walmart, publix could be less or more depending on the bogos that week!)

Last edited:
We are a family of 4 (no littles) and spend $250/wk on groceries at home. So, that sounds about right if not a little low.

Get a roll of press and seal and use that with small paper plates for the sandwiches in the park so you have a plate to eat off and they are easy to stack and the sandwiches won’t get as smooshed versus baggies because the small raised lip of the Dixie type plates helps protect them.

$400 seems low to me for so many meals. Make sure you aren’t underestimating how much of each item you need to feed that many people.

We spent around $450 last year to get food to feed 12 for all breakfasts, just one dinner (frozen pizzas), drinks and snacks on a 6 night stay.

Eggs (we hard boil a bunch when we arrive)
Oatmeal
Granola bars
Bagels
Bread
Frozen waffles
Cream cheese
Peanut butter
Butter
Melon
Apples
Bananas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Grapes
Applesauce pouches
Yogurt
Cereal
Milk
Orange juice
Frozen pizzas
Cheese
Crackers
Popcorn
Goldfish
Baby carrots/dip
Bottled waters

Last edited:
We have traveled with a family of 7 and as a family of 12. I find the prices to be higher in Orlando than what it is at home (ohio). Keep this in mind.
Our biggest expense drinks.....thats right. Think if everyone gets a bottle water, or soda. Packing this is going to save you a bundle. Last time a family of 7 we spent 400,00 on groceries.
Mind you we still had a few meals in the parks. Pre planning your meals is going to be your best bet. Many times we ate off times, or everyone was hungry at 11pm after a day in the park. If you are driving, I suggest remaking your meals, and freezing them. I am assuming you have a full kitchen?

Seems low.
There are 2 of us.
We eat breakfast (eggs, toast, oatmeal, banana, milk, butter)
Dinner....cans, chili, soup and then lunchmeat, cheese, mayo, mustard, tortillas, bread, chips)
Snacks for parks....nuts, candy, bars of some kind
lunch is in parks

add water, soda

we ordered from Prime Now and spent $100 for 10 days

When we take the whole family, 7, we spend around $500 .....but at least one main meal in the parks

Thanks all. I was afraid at end of the week of gobs of stuff left over.

Get a roll of press and seal and use that with small paper plates for the sandwiches in the park so you have a plate to eat off and they are easy to stack and the sandwiches won’t get as smooshed versus baggies because the small raised lip of the Dixie type plates helps protect them.

We were going to use the potato rolls to make sandwiches , wrap and stack them in a tupperware container . Last trip, we made a bunch of uncrustables and stacked them in a takeout soup container.

We are doing a trip in a month from now. DH, DD, DIL and 6 grandkids ages 4, 5, 5,8, 11, 16 and myself. So ten people in two rooms. No TS. One day we will eat counter service in Epcot. (more space to spread out.)
Plans are ....

breakfast in room, cereal, waffles, breakfast sandwich, bagels, juice, milk, fruit

Lunch in park, either ham/turkey/ cheese or PB&J sandwiches, cookies, chips/gold fish , water , juice box

Dinner in room, chicken nuggets, hot dogs/sausage, mac & cheese, frozen fish, salad, veggies , etc

No steak, lobster or cavier.

Adding it all up, pushing $400. actually it's more, but not counting paper plates, cups, etc and laundry detergent. , I know there are real plates in the 2 bedroom, but that's more work too. We will use some of them but there wouldn't be enough for all of us anyway.

Looking at list , it seems like ton of food. Anyone else get shocked at shopping list for disney?

But then again, I've never planned on feeding 10 people for days on end.

Things that add a lot to the bill that you may not consider because you normally have it in the fridge or cabinet: jars of mayo, mustard and ketchup, peanut butter and jelly, butter, oil and seasonings, syrup, salad dressings (more than one), and salt and pepper. I get sticker shock at the register. Prices are higher than up in NH too. Plus, since we´re on vacation, we tend to grab a few snacks that we wouldn´t normally get.

Also, since your rooms could easily be a distance from each other, you will want multiples of items in each kitchen, since some will want to eat breakfast in their own room. The tables are small 4 person ones; 10 people eating together will be a challenge.

Plan higher, and be happy if you come in under.

Things that add a lot to the bill that you may not consider because you normally have it in the fridge or cabinet: jars of mayo, mustard and ketchup, peanut butter and jelly, butter, oil and seasonings, syrup, salad dressings (more than one), and salt and pepper. I get sticker shock at the register. Prices are higher than up in NH too. Plus, since we´re on vacation, we tend to grab a few snacks that we wouldn´t normally get.

Also, since your rooms could easily be a distance from each other, you will want multiples of items in each kitchen, since some will want to eat breakfast in their own room. The tables are small 4 person ones; 10 people eating together will be a challenge.

Plan higher, and be happy if you come in under.

Yes, we have the mayo, etc added in. Last trip at BLT we had all 6 kids sitting a the table since it's a bench seat and half the kids have small butts. A few can eat at island. A few can eat outside. We plan to have a few things in our room, but mostly plan to break into the other room for anything we need.

The two moms and all the kids are in a 2 bedroom . We are in a studio.

We don't plan to be in the park as much as the kids and they will have a better view, so we intend to chill in their room part of the time. Grandma pays, Grandma rules.

Don't forget that when you are at home you have a lot of things like spices, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, etc. Already in your kitchen; however, you won't have that and those things add up fast. Honestly, we have tried easting in the room and find the price difference is so minimal, it isn't worth having more than a few things for a quick breakfast like some bagels and cream cheese in the room and then eat lunch and dinner in the parks.

Oh man, with just five of us we save a fortune even just eating occasional meals in the room. Heck, savings on wine alone could fund a second trip :). We do bring four of our most used Penzey’s spice blends in a box, and then try as much as possible to think of meals with combined ingredients. So, tacos for dinner and nachos the next day with leftover meat and fixings. With ten people, every QS meal will cost $100 pretty easily so just think about that when you’re calculating cost of groceries.

I’d probably do groceries from Costco if possible-it’s what we do when we do extended family trips to hawaii for 8-10 people. For instance, two rotisserie chickens for $10-dinner and then throw on salads the next day or use leftover to make nachos.

We eat a lot in the room, not 90%, but we always plan on having quite a bit of food in room, especially since our youngest likes his usual at home food while on vacation. what we've discovered also is that we are all a LOT hungrier on Disney trips, especially DS and me. So plan/budget for extra. Like 1 sandwich might not be enough for lunch, if they've been in the parks all morning go-go-going. I always pack a lot of extra snacks, like goldfish, granola bars, etc, and I have been very surprised the last couple years how fast we go through those snacks, and kids are still hungry! We do drive, and we often bring the majority of food with us, then if possible, we shop at Walmart, Target , or Publix on our first day there. Sometimes we over estimate the amt of food, and have extra, but not always. DS and I have no issues drinking water fountain water, or filling up my water bottles there, but DH and DD dont' like it. I always bring a lot more drinks (water, Gatorade,) than we are used to at home, as you will need them. Even though we usually bring popcorn for in the room, if you do splurge on an in park snack, i think getting a popcorn bucket (which is usually a cute souvenir too) and then doing refills can be a good way to get a Disney snack that goes a long way. We've started allowing for a few more splurges lately for snacks, (especially from the Les Halles Boulangerie/Patisserie in Epcot, and for other special things we cant' get at home,) but then we also have our own ice cream and frozen snacks in the room, so if the kids are just wanting ice cream, we're good with just waiting until back in the room. But then we do end up spending a little more on groceries to get that kind of extra snack. Anyway, good luck with the plannning. I agree w PPs that it would be good to budget more, and then if you come in under, great.

Last edited:
Don't forget that when you are at home you have a lot of things like spices, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, etc. Already in your kitchen; however, you won't have that and those things add up fast. Honestly, we have tried easting in the room and find the price difference is so minimal, it isn't worth having more than a few things for a quick breakfast like some bagels and cream cheese in the room and then eat lunch and dinner in the parks.

We wouldn't be doing any real cooking , mostly reheating frozen food, so flour, spices, etc wouldn't be needed.

My math is even if we stuck to kids meal times 10 twice a day. That's at least $150 a day. But with adult meals at $12 - $16 between entree and drink, we'd be pushing $200 a day and that's with eating breakfast in room.

I might think different if we could be in the park from 9 -9 every day, but since the parks close about 6 , we are heading back to resorts in the evening anyway.

We eat a lot in the room, not 90%, but we always plan on having quite a bit of food in room, especially since our youngest likes his usual at home food while on vacation. what we've discovered also is that we are all a LOT hungrier on Disney trips, especially DS and me. So plan/budget for extra. Like 1 sandwich might not be enough for lunch, if they've been in the parks all morning go-go-going. I always pack a lot of extra snacks, like goldfish, granola bars, etc, and I have been very surprised the last couple years how fast we go through those snacks, and kids are still hungry! We do drive, and we often bring the majority of food with us, then if possible, we shop at Walmart, Target , or Publix on our first day there. Sometimes we over estimate the amt of food, and have extra, but not always. DS and I have no issues drinking water fountain water, or filling up my water bottles there, but DH and DD dont' like it. I always bring a lot more drinks (water, Gatorade,) than we are used to at home, as you will need them. Even though we usually bring popcorn for in the room, if you do splurge on an in park snack, i think getting a popcorn bucket (which is usually a cute souvenir too) and then doing refills can be a good way to get a Disney snack that goes a long way. We've started allowing for a few more splurges lately for snacks, (especially from the Les Halles Boulangerie/Patisserie in Epcot, and for other special things we cant' get at home,) but then we also have our own ice cream and frozen snacks in the room, so if the kids are just wanting ice cream, we're good with just waiting until back in the room. But then we do end up spending a little more on groceries to get that kind of extra snack. Anyway, good luck with the plannning. I agree w PPs that it would be good to budget more, and then if you come in under, great.

Normally we would get popcorn, just not sure with the have to stop to eat rule now. It would be great if we could munch while waiting in an outside line, but I don't believe that is allowed.

We plan to bring in juice boxes, water bottles, and if we run out, then get cups of water some where.

For the week of Thanksgiving we were feeding 8 adults, a 9 year old, and a toddler and our grocery order at Walmart was $439. That included everything for Thanksgiving dinner, all paper products, and not eating any meals out. We thought it was a bargain. One meal out would have cost more than the cost of the groceries for the week.

You can get free water throughout Walt Disney world. Anywhere they serve fountain drinks they will give you cups with ice and/or ice water. We usually bring a thermal water bottle and keep refilling it throughout the day.

For the week of Thanksgiving we were feeding 8 adults, a 9 year old, and a toddler and our grocery order at Walmart was $439. That included everything for Thanksgiving dinner, all paper products, and not eating any meals out. We thought it was a bargain. One meal out would have cost more than the cost of the groceries for the week.

What size villa did you have? Curious, because we will have a 2 bedroom and a studio. I'm a tad concern if there will be enough space in fridge/ freezer.

On my list so far I have.....

2 packs -24 count frozen waffles
2 packs - 10 count fish patties
1 pack - 40 count fish sticks
2 bags - broccoli
2 bags- french fries
1 bag- 24 count mini corn on the cob
1 box- 12 count breakfast sandwiches
2 bags- 10 count chicken patties

Think there will be enough freezer space for all that?

Fridge would be

2 gallons milk,
96 oz grape juice
64 oz apple juice
59 oz orange juice
3 doz eggs
2 packages precooked sausage
1 lb packages of ham/ turkey/ roast beef/ pepperoni - 4 pounds total
4 8oz packages of cheese slices - 2 lbs total
2 8 ozcream cheese
36 ct string cheese (actually I plan to freeze the string cheese and use them to keep the sandwiches slightly cooler when we head out to parks)
1 pack hot dogs
2 packs cooked bratwaurst
strawberries, grapes, oranges.
peppers, cucumbers, celery,carrots
2 bags salad
2 pounds butter.
2 pts half and half
Peanut butter
Jelly

And then 3-4 packages each of rolls, bread, wraps,bagels, cookies, chips, pretzels, cereal, Juice boxes , soda, a couple of cases of water plus a few gallons of water for use in room. Few packages of mac and cheese and noodles/rice and sauce packs.

First night with the family, we are getting domino pizza (don't judge LOL)

On Sat when we arrive we are getting a small order from prime now, some milk, some juice,case of soda, case of water. Just enough for Sunday when the rest of the family arrive. I hope to order the walmart order for maybe about 5 or 6 in the evening so to be sure we have the 2 bedroom.

Last edited:
The last time I was down with a group of 4, we had breakfast in the room and kept sandwich meats and such for night time, if we didn't eat in the parks. We did always buy lunch in the parks. We probably spent about $200 for the week using Amazon Prime Now for what we ate in the room, but again, it wasn't every meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter