For those who did the Stoneycreek cross stitch (and other large designs)

MushyMushy

Marseeya Here!
What did you use to hoop such a large cloth? I'm eagerly awaiting my kit in the mail, and I was wondering what you used as a hoop.

I have used an 8" plastic hoop for all my kits( have done 8 upto now). With some of the kits there is a big excess of cloth but i just roll it up. Works for me.

I have used an 8" plastic hoop for all my kits( have done 8 upto now). With some of the kits there is a big excess of cloth but i just roll it up. Works for me.

That sounds simple! I've never done such a large piece before, so I wasn't sure. So, you didn't have a problem with the excess cloth getting all sloppy and frayed?

No. It's still needed ironing afterwards but it was no different from any other pieces i have done. Which one have you ordered? They are all quite detailed patterns but well worth the effort. Happy stitching.

I don't use a hoop....I use the q-snaps for my projects. I find they are better than hoops. They keep your fabric tighter and don't leave marks like the hoops do. You can get them at Hobby Lobby or any online needlework stores.

:goodvibes

I too have used the Q-Snaps & love using them. You can get them in many different sizes & they are great!

i dont use anything....i find it easier to stitch without in a sewing motion. i find it faster as well. no need keep moving your hand above and under the fabric. anyone else not use anything...is this uncommon?

i dont use anything....i find it easier to stitch without in a sewing motion. i find it faster as well. no need keep moving your hand above and under the fabric. anyone else not use anything...is this uncommon?

I don't use a hoop for small designs but do find it easier to keep the aida tighter on the larger ones.

Well, I went in search of a QSnap and ended up with something else. :( I'd called a JoAnn Fabric over 20 miles away and they said they had them, so I took a trip. They ended up having a whole different brand (Dritz), so since I'd driven all that way with gas prices being what they are, I went head and bought it. :( The clasps seem really loose, so we'll see how it goes.

I use either the wooden square frames or the newer plastic ones with the rachet tighteners. If that makes any sense lol. You can buy them in various sizes to match your project and the bars are interchangeable on the wooden ones.

I have an 8 inch hoop and also I purchased a wooden holder that hold the hoop and sits on the floor. I have one hand on top of the fabric and one below. I find holding a hoop makes my hand sore. Also a good tip for fabric fraying at the ends is to get some masking tape and fold it over the edges of the fabric. It keeps it safe from fraying.

I don't use a hoop....I use the q-snaps for my projects. I find they are better than hoops. They keep your fabric tighter and don't leave marks like the hoops do. You can get them at Hobby Lobby or any online needlework stores.

:goodvibes

I'd never heard of q-snaps...are they really good to use? I've always used a hoop...

I'm the same way. I've found my tension is the same whether or not I use a hoop or even a Q-snap. It's way quicker if I use that sewing motion. I just roll the fabric like a scroll, and then I have a sturdy handle to hold on to.

I have several friends who cross stitch, and they all use some sort of 'stretcher'. They seem amazed that I don't use a hoop. :thumbsup2

I'm the same way. I've found my tension is the same whether or not I use a hoop or even a Q-snap. It's way quicker if I use that sewing motion. I just roll the fabric like a scroll, and then I have a sturdy handle to hold on to.

I have several friends who cross stitch, and they all use some sort of 'stretcher'. They seem amazed that I don't use a hoop. :thumbsup2

What do you mean by sewing motion?

"Sewing motion"...Putting the needle in the top of the fabric and up from the bottom all in one stitch.

Regular cross stitch method...stabbing the needle from the top to the bottom, moving your hand underneath, then pulling the thread all the way through, then finding the hole to bring the needle back to the top, stab, bring your hand back to the top, then pull your thread through.

"sewing" pulls your thread through two holes at once.

Is that clear as mud?? :confused:

"Sewing motion"...Putting the needle in the top of the fabric and up from the bottom all in one stitch.

Regular cross stitch method...stabbing the needle from the top to the bottom, moving your hand underneath, then pulling the thread all the way through, then finding the hole to bring the needle back to the top, stab, bring your hand back to the top, then pull your thread through.

"sewing" pulls your thread through two holes at once.

Is that clear as mud?? :confused:

No, it made sense! It sounds like it would be a lot faster that way and a lot less wasted motion. I'll have to try it sometime and see how it works out.

Thanks!

I do love my q's as well, but I find with aida (which I think is in the Stoney Creek kits?) they aren't quite as tight as with evenweave/linen. Now that doesn't bother me, but it does some people. Actually if I'm stitching on aida I usually stitch in hand because the aida is so stiff, unless it's a *huge* piece of fabby and then I may use the q's just to keep some of the excess out of the way ;). I know some people use hair clips to clip the excess fabby to the frame :thumbsup2

I did Past, Present, Forever... and it was too big for me to roll, so I went with the rack method.

232323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D679%3D%3B9%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323849%3B%3B5784ot1lsi

I was very proud to finish the whole thing (I'm kinda known for half-finished projects! :guilty: )

232323232%7Ffp43238%3Enu%3D3235%3E588%3E%3A%3A%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323348%3B7636%3A9nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4323%3B%3Enu%3D3235%3E588%3E%3A%3A%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323348%3B763734nu0mrj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter