For those who go at least once a year????

beattyfamily

DIS Cast Member
For those of you who go at least once a year, how do you handle video taping, photo taking, and souveniers??

I have 2 DD's ages 6 and 2 1/2 and we've been (with both of them) twice already and we're going again this October.

Well, I'm running out of space for frames for photos of our trips, I'm running out of space for photo albums (I usually do a photo album for each trip). I've got so much video of the last 2 trips!!!

I just don't know what to do if I keep going each year. Do you know what I mean? Am I making sense? Our first 2 trips were 2 years apart so it was easy enough. But lately we've been going each year. How many times can you video tape Main Street or the parades or whatever? But our kids are little so each trip seems like a new experience. But I'm gonna run out of storage space in my house!!!

At first I was getting a special frame for each trip but I can't keep doing that!!

What do you all who go at least once a year and have little ones do in regards to photos, video and souveniers????

How do you make each trip seem brand new and like the first?

Much thanks!

We go every year and I continue to take pictures of each trip. I make an album (I scrap book) for each trip and often try to take pictures in the same spot in the same position so I can see how they have grown. I am not a big videotaper so I don't have to deal with this. We still do the autograph books. The kids just love them and we put them on their book shelves so they don't take up much space. We challenge ourselves to get some new ones each time. I also have thought of doing the autograph books that people make with pictures of the kids with the characters. I enjoy snow globes and christmas ornaments and am able to get those each year. The kids usually get 1 small and 1 large souvenir per trip. You can also have all your pictures put on a disk and run them through a screensaver like WebShots. We love it. I see my wonderful memories all the time as they slowly flash by on my computer screen. Good luck!!

My ds and I go yearly and I have the same problem. We get a t-shirt from each trip with something on it thats new, like 100yrs. I also decided to get useful things for myself like character note pads that have magnets on back, a couple of special pens for my office, fridge magnets that are also clips for holding notes etc., a set of salt and pepper shakers to add to my collection. No one item cost me more than 12.00. For my son he gets to choose a souvenir daily and one major one for the week. This year he chose a mickey alarm clock. I decided this year to introduce him to pin trading, (he was 5 last trip), this was a huge success. He had a blast trading with cm's and chose a different pin for every days souvenir. We also got a penny press book for all those pennies.

We find these things give us great memories of our vacation without me having to add a room to the house.

We go at least once every year. I also scrapbook, so I put all the "great shots" in my Disney albums. I also put the 5x7 pics from the rides, etc. in here. As for videotape, we just took the camcorder for the first time. Probably won't take it with us when we return in August.

Souvenirs - what can I say? My DH can't deny our 3 DDs anything! I have threatened that we'll have to move if he buys them one more stuffed animal! I also like the pins, they're small, and easily packed. Thankfully, they're getting older, 8,8, and 5, so we're getting out of the toys.

For myself, I usually try to find some type of unique poster or photo that I can frame. I started doing this many years ago on a trip to Europe instead of buying T-shirts. They last longer, and I can surround myself with reminders of all the wonderful places I've been fortunate to visit. I also buy each girl an ornament with the year on it. When they are grown and move out, :( I'll give them to the girls for their tree.

My 15- year daughter and I went for two weeks March 2001 when I took a lot of pictures and video. She made the comment that she wished my video was back at home - that I was spending too much time taping. It broke my heart and I realized that the time I was taping and trying to get that perfect shot, I could have been with her watching the parade, etc. When I tape, I don't like to talk since it will also be on the tape. Anyway, we went back again November 2001 and I left the video camera at home. I took very few camera pictures. We have more than enough videos and the trip was wonderful not having to worry about carrying a video camera, taping, and watching different shows through a lense, etc. It also made my daughter feel that much more important.

Like others we have started buying items that we can use but that don't need to be dusted. I buy jewelry that I can wear everyday, clothes, note paper etc. that are a daily reminder. My quest this year is a poster that I can frame for my livingroom.

I always take my camera & camcorder. The kids usually do the videotaping, but only around the pool & resort rooms. We find it too much of a hassle to carry into the parks.

I still take pictures, it seems less & less each time. I have many "Disney vacation albums" & finally bought a photo box to put all the pictures in.

As the kids grow we sometimes replace the pictures we have in frames w/ new ones, keeping the old ones in the frame behind the new pictures. This way each time we change the picture we see how we've changed over the years.

Keep taking the pictures - they are priceless.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas!

I believe we'll still bring the camcorder and camera but it will be less and less as we go on. I just can't stop taking pictures of the girls to see how they've changed from year to year. Since my smallest one won't remember the last 2 trips and the next one too, she'll appreciate the pictures later on. For her, it's been a new experience every time.

I'll stick to key chains and if there's a special occasion, a t-shirt. Maybe I'll do ornaments. I have bought a couple but not made a routine of it. The toughest is the girls. How many stuffed animals do we really need??

Still haven't decided on what to do about framing photos and photo albums yet. I'm running out of space, though!

Thanks again!

We go at least once (usually twice, but not this year due to recent home purchase), and we do take the camera, but not our video camera. The video camera just got to be too cumbersome (sp) as our daughter got older (no stroller for carrying stuff!!). We end up with 4-5 rolls of film per 7-10 day trip. We put it all in albums (yes, now that I'm preparing to move this album thing is definately out of hand).

As far as souveniers are concerned, I usually limit myself to just 1 special (not necessarily expensive) item. DD has her own spending money, not much, which she uses for 1 or 2 small items. DH likes to shop at the sports store at Downtown Disney for a new golf shirt, always on sale.

We enjoy eating out and trying new restaurants, so souvenier money is not important to us.

We try to go twice a year and always go all out with pictures, video and souveniers . We consider every trip to be very special and I don't think that we behave much differently than people who just come once and a while.

For the problem of where to put all of the Disney "junk" - we finally just made ourselves a Disney room :)

We use a digital camera, and then only print some pictures. We save all the pictures on a CD, and put them in a sliped show using powerpoint. I am terrible about getting "real photos" in an album. And we end up with dozens of the same thing (or at least it seems). We usually print the ones with our son in them, or any that are especially "unique". They also make a picute frame to store digital pictures in, and then it will randomly show them is a slide show. (We need to get one of these)

If we go to a park more than one day of the trip we only take the camcorder on the first day. We still take lots of still pictures - I can't help myself! Our kids also got in to pin trading which is great because they're easy to transport. We also go to Studio M and get a picture of them with Mickey every trip. We try to find something new each trip to make it different from the last. On the next trip the kids are doing the pirate cruise and we're all doing the family magic tour.

Lots of great suggestions so I'll keep it short.

We've been going at least once a year for a while, but now with my DS it's different. We are going to try to take a picture at one spot each time to see how he's grown. Then maybe on the new rides he wants to try. We use a digital camera so we can see that it's a good picture right away.

Finally, video. I heard this here before we went the first time. They suggested that you leave it home the first few days. Then toward the end, pick a day to park hop and redo all the things the kids/family liked the best. It's sure to get big smiles, since they are all looking for it. The park hopping gives variety, and you only lug it around for one day. Worked for us.

Enjoy the trip.

We usually go once a year so here is what we do:

We also have a digital camera so the pictures store very easily on the computer (disc) and we only print the ones we want. Hopefully I will start my first scrapbook soon (wish me luck)!!

We have not brought our video camera to WDW in a few years (before DD was born) - it was a pain for DH to carry around. I think we will take it on this upcoming trip to video her a little bit.

As for the souvenir thing - we always bought magnets and t-shirts and just about anything else we wanted, however over the years it kinda just gets tossed aside. So now thw one souvenir we buy is a Christmas tree ornament that has the date (month and year) on it. When DD gets a bit older and starts asking for things I am sure we will buy her a souvenir of her choice along with the ornament.

Lisa

I LOVE the ornament idea. Now I wish I would have started years ago!!!

I know that not many people do this, but here is what I do. (Now remember in 15 and am an only child, and yes some sterio-types are true, but not completely.) Anyway, we go a lot, almost once every year. We havn't taken a V-cam with us for years, i think last time we had it was '95, but I am bringing it this year to get all the newer stuff. Still-cam, every year. Usually go through 5-8 rolls for my mom and about 4 rolls and 3 128mb cards for me (those are for digi-cams). For suveniers, well my parents don't buy much of anything other than food for us, since we eat a lot, hehe, but since i make my own money through allowance, or now work, i go all out on suveniers. Last year i got a few things, including a Pooh Bear alarm clock, and a Mini-Orange tree. I really suggest this to anyone going to Epcot. They are around $15 and are in a bag so they wont die on air/car trips. Plant it when you get home and they will grow and eventually produce fruit. They sell them at the land suvenier shop. Cya all.

I used to go loaded down with camera equipment. We have more photos than I can count! In May on our last trip, I brought along one disposable camera, and never even finished one roll of film. I had a great time...and tons of memories and didn't have to worry about all the "stuff" I used to carry. A Kodak toss away is now my camera of choice, and if I happen to leave it behind in the hotel room, so be it.

We also had hundreds of pictures of the same things taken year after year.....so what we do now is just take yearly posed photos in the same spot. For instance, one of my daughters was adopted from China so we take her picture at the China pavillion in front of the map as she is pointing to the town where she was born. We have been doing this for 6 years now and like a school picture it is fun to see how they've grown and we just keep the same frame and insert the new picture year after year. Each kid has there own special spot and they look forward to getting there and taking thier picture. The rest of the roll is just for special things or new attractions......TAZ

We have been fortunate enough to have been every year since 1996 and recently more than once a year. I have found that in that time I've got a better camera (digital) and a new camcorder which is much lighter. We used to have a moderately sized camcorder that was great to begin with but then became a burden in the parks. This one is much smaller and will potentially fit in a fanny pack/bum bag. Taking better photos with my digital camera is something I really enjoy. It's great to avoid using the flash indoors so that you can get natural colours. The digital camera I have adjusts the shutter speed so I've managed to get photos of fireworks and in attractions that I just could never have managed before. Sure, I have a massive amount of photos over the years, most in their packet, not in an album; although I'm trying to sort this out. Video taping is the same, and will probably be more than usual now with the lighter camcorder.

As for souvenirs, I'm an addict. I spend spend spend. Sometimes you get home and you can't imagine why you bought something but some of the stuff there is just so cool that not to buy it seems criminal! OK, I'm over the top and a little nuts. I really have to do something with my T-shirt collection which is now probably extending to a T-shirt for every day for six months....argh.

John :bounce:

We have been going every year since my oldest son was 7weeks old. We still take many pictures. One picture that we always do is a "mommy & her boys" picture that we purchase a frame for at disney. Yes, I already have 7 picture frames. Luckily I have a very large house with lots of rooms to put them in. I divide up the pictures after we get home into a family album, and the one for each of my boys.
The camcorder always gets taken along, but I do not use it much.It is hard to juggle that, a camera, stroller, boys and husband.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter