• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

I haven't read any negative reviews of Brightline. I used it for a cruise in December (MCO to Fort Lauderdale station), and it was terrific. (Well, except for the dirty bathrooms at each station.) I've got it booked again for a cruise next month and one in May.

Rental Car: Looks to be about 100 to 150 dollars plus probably additional insurance, gas and costs associated with dropping it off etc. I don't plan on having a rental in Orlando so would be picking up and dropping off same day. The drive doesn't look to be overly complicated? Is there still a rental pick-up drop-off on Disney property?
The drive is not terribly complicated. The most difficult part is going from the Port Everglades port to the Turnpike or I-95 since part of that is on city streets and we've found the signage could be more helpful. Our experience is that you don't realize you need to be in a certain lane until you're almost right on top of the turn. But that's actually a pretty minor complaint.

Once on the Turnpike (our preference, we live very close to WDW) it's a pretty boring drive of about 3 hours. There are a fair number of rest areas along the way.

All the major car rental companies have offices on Disney property. Everybody mentions Alamo at the Car Care Center, but that's not the only option. The other major companies will have offices in the hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd. You can drop the car there and then walk to Disney Springs to catch a bus to your resort.
Timing wise, it looks like the rental car and the flying would both get me into Disney World around 4pm and I am predicting my first night will be a MVMCP night. So there is that.
You'll be at WDW much earlier than 4 pm assuming a normal debarkation process. More like noon to 1 pm.

The drive is not terribly complicated. The most difficult part is going from the Port Everglades port to the Turnpike or I-95 since part of that is on city streets and we've found the signage could be more helpful. Our experience is that you don't realize you need to be in a certain lane until you're almost right on top of the turn. But that's actually a pretty minor complaint.

Once on the Turnpike (our preference, we live very close to WDW) it's a pretty boring drive of about 3 hours. There are a fair number of rest areas along the way.

All the major car rental companies have offices on Disney property. Everybody mentions Alamo at the Car Care Center, but that's not the only option. The other major companies will have offices in the hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd. You can drop the car there and then walk to Disney Springs to catch a bus to your resort.

You'll be at WDW much earlier than 4 pm assuming a normal debarkation process. More like noon to 1 pm.

I have been told by multiple people that if I go rental car route to pick up the rental from FLL and not PE. And figuring getting the car around 11am after debarkation and getting to FLL and 3 to 4 hour drive depending on traffic and pitstops. If there was a Buc-ee's along the way I'd 100% go rental.

On the turnpike, you have service centers- a gas station or two, a bathroom, a restaurant, and a gift sho in between the north and southbound lanes.

On the turnpike, you have service centers- a gas station or two, a bathroom, a restaurant, and a gift sho in between the north and southbound lanes.

Yes but are they a Buc-ee's? Buc-ee's would be an attraction in and of itself that I'd stop at just for the novelty.

FWIW, Florida's highways are the best maintained in the Southern US, along with Texas. They're a pleasure to drive compared to other states.

The other major companies will have offices in the hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd. You can drop the car there and then walk to Disney Springs to catch a bus to your resort.
Wouldn't you have to go to your resort first and drop off your luggage? Luggage isn't allowed on Disney busses I thought.
I have been told by multiple people that if I go rental car route to pick up the rental from FLL and not PE.
FLL is about 5-10 minutes from PE. Red is PE, Green is FLL:
1708513273551.png
I don't even think PE has a rental agency on site.

Regarding rental cars & gas: Most rental cars are going to get 25-30mpg (if not better). That means even 1/2 gallon is going to get you 12-15 miles. Plan accordingly.

I also take a picture of the gas gauge and odometer whenever I'm returning a rental.

Wouldn't you have to go to your resort first and drop off your luggage? Luggage isn't allowed on Disney busses I thought.

FLL is about 5-10 minutes from PE. Red is PE, Green is FLL:
View attachment 835673
I don't even think PE has a rental agency on site.

Regarding rental cars & gas: Most rental cars are going to get 25-30mpg (if not better). That means even 1/2 gallon is going to get you 12-15 miles. Plan accordingly.

I also take a picture of the gas gauge and odometer whenever I'm returning a rental.
There actually ARE separate rental locations for several of the car rental agencies (Avis/Budget and Enterprise, as i recall). They are not necessarily within the port's fence but are considered and advertised as the Port Everglades location. There were more locations/companies prior to Covid. Additionally, Alamo used to be headquartered just north of the airport, prior to being bought by Enterprise. (Alamo was born in Fort Lauderdale in the 1970s.

FLL has a consolidated on-site car rental facility on site in a parking garage. It is an easy walk from FLL Terminals 1 and 2 and a bit further or a bus ride from the other terminals.

The car rental agencies with separate locations have shuttles to the ships and a free ride for renters. There are no free (or company-provided paid) shuttles from the ships to the airport location.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter