Four Year Old on GotG?

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
Our youngest son is four years old and is around 44" tall with shoes on. Currently, his favorite ride is BTMRR and he also enjoys ToT and SDD. I'm wondering how GotG compares to the ones he's ridden and enjoyed. He's also excited to ride SM, Everest, and FoP. Anyone care to share their experience taking younger kids on GotG? TIA!

Our youngest turned 4 during his first trip on August 2022, and he was literally 1/4 inch too short for Guardians :( But his favourite ride was ToT, and he loved Big thunder, mine train, SDD, and Splash.

When we went in Oct 2023 he had just turned 5 and grew enough to ride Guardians, Space Mountain, Everest and FoP and he loved them all (but Guardians is his ultimate favorite)

Our daughter had just turned five when she first rode Guardians, and she absolutely loved it! If your son loves Tower and Thunder, I bet he'll love Guardians.!

I agree - given the rides he likes, GotG will be right up his alley! Be prepared to be going after VQ every day and buying ILL$ too for extra rides!

My daughter is five-loves barnstormer, BTMR, SDMT, and Slinky. She absolutely HATED Guardians. Came off the ride in tears. Of course each kid is different, but it did not go well for us lol.

Yeah I can see how that initial launch could startle a younger kiddo. It's definitely on another level of intensity compared to Big Thunder.

Yah. Agree with others. Should be fine but I'd hope for a song other than everyone wants to rule the world. LOL. Conga in this case would be the best. Haha.

I am going to try it this summer with my daughter who turns 5 in July. She is a thrill seeker and loved Space Mountain at Disneyland so fingers crossed she loves it!

I am going to try it this summer with my daughter who turns 5 in July. She is a thrill seeker and loved Space Mountain at Disneyland so fingers crossed she loves it!
Yeah I'd say SM in Cali is a better comparison than Big Thunder. Expedition Everest at night is a somewhat similar (albeit a bit slower) experience too. If a kid can handle those without issue, they have a better chance of handling GotG:CR without being too freaked out.

Yeah I'd say SM in Cali is a better comparison than Big Thunder. Expedition Everest at night is a somewhat similar (albeit a bit slower) experience too. If a kid can handle those without issue, they have a better chance of handling GotG:CR without being too freaked out.
I felt like the dark with the music and lights were similar in each. I haven't had her go on Space Mountain in Disney World yet since she can't sit right by me. I'm not ready for that even though she would do it in a heartbeat. We just reached 42 inches so we haven't tried Everest yet. My 9 year old niece hated guardians, but she won't ride a lot of the big rides.

I felt like the dark with the music and lights were similar in each. I haven't had her go on Space Mountain in Disney World yet since she can't sit right by me. I'm not ready for that even though she would do it in a heartbeat. We just reached 42 inches so we haven't tried Everest yet. My 9 year old niece hated guardians, but she won't ride a lot of the big rides.
For comparisons sake, these are the top speeds for each:

Big Thunder: 35mph
Space Mountain (Cali): 35mph
Expedition Everest: 50mph
RockNRoller Coaster: 57mph
GotG: Cosmic Rewind: 60mph

My grandson loves Tower of Terror, Big Thunder, Slinky Dog, Space Mountain (at CA, but not FL).
He hated GotG

IF you do Guardians, ask for the front row. It is still very intense at the kick back, but not as bad as row 9. Guardians is my favorite coaster, and I'm not a coaster person...however, I rode row 9 the first time and almost never got back on.

Again, the kick back launch is always intense, but not as horrible in the first row. I really feel like smaller kiddos should never be sent to the back rows without a CM asking if they've ridden before and if they are good with it.

my 5 year old repeatedly tells me GOG is his absolute favorite ride. We went to EPCOT twice during our last trip just so we could ride it again! But he's a huge thrill seeker and very tall. Tall enough to ride Tron.

When mine was little he could handle coasters but not dark rides. I agree with trying the ones he is excited for like Space Mountain - and maybe Everest in the day (and at night if you can) before trying GotG. Everest has the backwards part so you can see if he can handle that.

IMO a kid who likes ToT will probably enjoy (or at least not totally melt down on) GotG. but maybe try to do space mountain first, or everest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter