• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+ Strategy

mcm574

Mouseketeer
Hi all - the day is almost here! - I'll be waking at 3:45 am local time this Thursday to make my FP+ selections at 4:00! I'd appreciate any feedback you have on what I plan to pursue - having not been to WDW since 2005, this is my first FP+ experience!

For context, I have two sons, ages 9 and 4 (4yo has just made it over 44", hooray!), who are pretty big amusement park/coaster fans; the older has been to DLR twice, the younger once. My husband and I have done WDW together twice but, again, that was MANY years ago!

Anyway, my plan is to try for the following:

Tuesday, 4/10 (MK) - Splash Mountain ~10:00, BTRR ~11:00, Space Mountain ~1:00 (we are doing EMM that day, so are not going for PP or 7DMT)
Wednesday, 4/11 (AK) - EE ~10:00, Dinosaur ~11:00, FoP ~1:00 (or whenever I can get it, clearly!!!) (doing PPO at Tusker House this day, will go for Kilimanjaro at opening)
Thursday, 4/12 (EPCOT am, DHS pm) - ToT ~1:30, split ~2:30 - RnR for husband and 9yo, Frozen Sing-Along for me and 4yo (and I will use RnR single rider later), TSMania ~3:30
Friday, 4/13 (EPCOT am, MK pm) - Mission: Space ~10:00, Spaceship Earth ~11:00, FEA ~1:00

I know I should do my FoP attempt first thing (that will be 60+2 for us); I'm thinking that after that I should do the FEA day? For my non-E-ticket rides, are there other options I should be considering?

Any thoughts, comments, concerns are welcome - thanks!!!

Hi all - the day is almost here! - I'll be waking at 3:45 am local time this Thursday to make my FP+ selections at 4:00! I'd appreciate any feedback you have on what I plan to pursue - having not been to WDW since 2005, this is my first FP+ experience!

For context, I have two sons, ages 9 and 4 (4yo has just made it over 44", hooray!), who are pretty big amusement park/coaster fans; the older has been to DLR twice, the younger once. My husband and I have done WDW together twice but, again, that was MANY years ago!

Anyway, my plan is to try for the following:

Tuesday, 4/10 (MK) - Splash Mountain ~10:00, BTRR ~11:00, Space Mountain ~1:00 (we are doing EMM that day, so are not going for PP or 7DMT)
Wednesday, 4/11 (AK) - EE ~10:00, Dinosaur ~11:00, FoP ~1:00 (or whenever I can get it, clearly!!!) (doing PPO at Tusker House this day, will go for Kilimanjaro at opening)
Thursday, 4/12 (EPCOT am, DHS pm) - ToT ~1:30, split ~2:30 - RnR for husband and 9yo, Frozen Sing-Along for me and 4yo (and I will use RnR single rider later), TSMania ~3:30
Friday, 4/13 (EPCOT am, MK pm) - Mission: Space ~10:00, Spaceship Earth ~11:00, FEA ~1:00

I know I should do my FoP attempt first thing (that will be 60+2 for us); I'm thinking that after that I should do the FEA day? For my non-E-ticket rides, are there other options I should be considering?

Any thoughts, comments, concerns are welcome - thanks!!!

I believe DHS Tier 1 contains both RnR and TSMM, so you will not be able to have FP+ for both rides for the same person. Also, you almost certainly won’t need a FP for Frozen sing-a-long, maybe Star Tours would be a better choice, or more RnR and you switch parents and 9yo goes again?

60+2 for FOP is a tough goal. I have been able to get it (for 2) but many report they could not. I hope you are able.

I’m also skeptical that you’ll need FP for Mission:Space or Spaceship Earth, as opposed to TT or Soarin. But it sounds like you have a rope drop plan in mind.

I’d cluster my Friday Epcot FPs earlier and tighter so that I could get the earliest jump in a 4th for Epcot or MK for later. (Same with MK day and AK days, the earlier your FPs are done, the quicker you can search for 4th. Although it is true you need to eat, you have pre-Park stuff worked in, and it isn’t always great feeling locked in too tight if that’s not your park touring style.)

don't think you can split your fp - they must be at the same park. but once they are gone you can go to other park and start again.

There are various reports that TSMM will be standby-only April 9-May 7 in preparation for the opening of Toy Story Land. Also you wouldn't be able to FP both RNRC and TSMM anyways, due to both being Tier 1.

60+2 might be tough for FOP but I'm assuming you know that. In terms of priority, definitely FOP first then FEA.

you could have your husband do single rider on RNR and you can use the rider switch to ride with your 9 year old. or if your nine year old is up for it, he can do single rider also with your husband, minimum age is 7 i believe.

If you get to MK for EMH rope drop you can do all the mountains before 9:30 - then use your FPs for other stuff. I do it that way all the time. I will be there when you are there - the 7th through the 13th - and just got my FPs this morning. I got everything I wanted including FOP my first evening and every other day i wanted it. Also got Seven Dwarfs and Frozen. I was surprised, but was ready to go on the app at 6 am my time on the dot!

Isn't your AK day 60+1? (or are you checking in on the 9th, but not going to the parks?)

Highly recommend using your FastPasses earlier in the day and getting more later. With the kiosks this was less useful but the app makes it work so well. We were able to grab so many FastPasses when we went using this strategy.

Thanks for all the responses!

I believe DHS Tier 1 contains both RnR and TSMM, so you will not be able to have FP+ for both rides for the same person. Also, you almost certainly won’t need a FP for Frozen sing-a-long, maybe Star Tours would be a better choice, or more RnR and you switch parents and 9yo goes again?

Ah, I knew I was missing something! - I thought I'd factored in the tiers, but clearly got mixed up somewhere along the way. Re: Frozen Sing-along, I went with that plan because it's literally the only thing I know one child will definitely want to do while the other child definitely does not... but perhaps the RnR plan is better - 4yo and I can still do the Sing-along and then I can swoop back in for RnR.

I’d cluster my Friday Epcot FPs earlier and tighter so that I could get the earliest jump in a 4th for Epcot or MK for later. (Same with MK day and AK days, the earlier your FPs are done, the quicker you can search for 4th. Although it is true you need to eat, you have pre-Park stuff worked in, and it isn’t always great feeling locked in too tight if that’s not your park touring style.)

We're doing TS for lunch at EP on both 4/12 and 4/13, which is why I wanted to push it later - but I take your point - and perhaps on the non-ADR days, I should plan on 9:30-10:30-11:30?

don't think you can split your fp - they must be at the same park. but once they are gone you can go to other park and start again.

Isn't Frozen Sing-along in DHS, or am I confused?

There are various reports that TSMM will be standby-only April 9-May 7 in preparation for the opening of Toy Story Land.

Oooh, good to know - husband and 9yo both LOVE that ride at DLR, will be good to prepare them for this possibility!

If you get to MK for EMH rope drop you can do all the mountains before 9:30 - then use your FPs for other stuff.

Given that we'll be doing 7DTM and PP during EMM, what other attractions would you suggest for MK FP+?

I got everything I wanted including FOP my first evening and every other day i wanted it. Also got Seven Dwarfs and Frozen. I was surprised, but was ready to go on the app at 6 am my time on the dot!

That is encouraging, thank you!!!

Isn't your AK day 60+1? (or are you checking in on the 9th, but not going to the parks?)

That is exactly what we're doing - driving up from my parents' at Naples on 4/9 (and dinner with Chef Mickey that night! :earsboy:

Thanks for all the responses!

Ah, I knew I was missing something! - I thought I'd factored in the tiers, but clearly got mixed up somewhere along the way. Re: Frozen Sing-along, I went with that plan because it's literally the only thing I know one child will definitely want to do while the other child definitely does not... but perhaps the RnR plan is better - 4yo and I can still do the Sing-along and then I can swoop back in for RnR.

We're doing TS for lunch at EP on both 4/12 and 4/13, which is why I wanted to push it later - but I take your point - and perhaps on the non-ADR days, I should plan on 9:30-10:30-11:30?

Isn't Frozen Sing-along in DHS, or am I confused?

Oooh, good to know - husband and 9yo both LOVE that ride at DLR, will be good to prepare them for this possibility!

Given that we'll be doing 7DTM and PP during EMM, what other attractions would you suggest for MK FP+?

That is encouraging, thank you!!!

That is exactly what we're doing - driving up from my parents' at Naples on 4/9 (and dinner with Chef Mickey that night! :earsboy:

You are correct, the Frozen SAL is in DHS.

If you haven’t looked at it yet, the FP FAQ may answer other questions you may have.

yes Frozen-sal is in Studios - the ride Frozen is at Epcot.

why I love both - what you are doing Frozen SAL is really good.

Hi, all - thanks again for the assistance! Just wanted to update on how it all went this morning; got on the app at exactly 4am, and secured the following:

Tuesday, 4/10 - BTMRR 9:15-10:15; Splash 10:20-11:20; Space 11:30-12:30
Wednesday, 4/11 - Dinosaur 9:10-10:10; EE 10:10-11:10; FOP 12:15-1:15 (woo-hoo!)
Thursday, 4/12 - TOT 1:15-2:15; RnR 2:15-3:15; Star Tours 3:20-4:20
Friday, 4/13 - Mission: Space 9:20-10:20; SS Earth 10:40-11:40; FEA 11:45-12:45

I'm pretty pleased! The only thing that is significantly different than what I'd hoped for is that I couldn't get an EE FP+ before 10:00, and I'd really rather do that prior to Dinosaur to cut down on walking, so I'll try to update that before arrival.

One thing I want to make sure I understand regarding rearranging during the day: if, say, Tuesday, we scan in for our BTMRR FP+ at 9:30, we can then begin adjusting later FP+s, correct? - so we could, while in line for BTMRR, push up our Splash FP+ to 10:00, instead of 10:20?

congratulations on getting everything you planned on, especially FOP. My first 60 day mark is next week. We are doing a 3 resort split stay (renting points - it was what was available) so I have not 1, not 2 but 3 mornings next week where I get to wake up at 3:55am Pacific to get those FP+s! Nice to see you were able to get FOP at 60+2. I am hoping for it on my 2nd leg at 60+3.

This has been a very useful thread for me as I've also thought about whether to get FP+'s at the 2nd resort on hopper days, or stick to earlier ones at the am resort- I think I'll plan on earlier at the 1st resort and hope I can get some sam day at the 2nd resort. Trip is myself, DH and DD9. We last visited 4 years ago but have been to DL often so we are most interested in things that aren't at DL/DCA.

How does this look for a plan:
(1st 4am wake up)
60: EPCOT (flying in late from California the night before, staying offsite, expecting to not get to the park until 11am): Frozen (11:30), Nemo (12:30pm - we have a 1pm lunch ressie at Coral Reef), Turtle Talk (2pm); evening at DHS (Star Wars Dessert)- try to get some same day FP

60+1: EPCOT (Soarin' at rope drop), Test Track (9:30am), Mission Space Green (10:30am), ??
FP+2: DHS (get in line for Jedi Training at EMH start), RRC (9am), ST (10am), ToT (11am), or use these for when we hop to MK in the late afternoon, doing HEA dessert too - we do want to see Beauty and the Beast at DHS - do we need a FP+

(2nd 4am wake up)
60+1 MK: 7DMT (9am), BTMR (10am), Belle (11am) (lunch at BOG), hop to EPCOT later in the day to see a F&W concert
60+2 MK (sleep in/relax at pool): HM (noon - may move out if we do water park), Space (2pm), Splash (3pm), CRT lunch at 1
60+3 AM: rest/sleep in, maybe water park, AK: FOP (5pm), Dinosaur (7pm), EE (8pm) Tiffins ROL dining 5:30pm
60+4 AK: rope drop Navi, FOP (9:30am), Lion King (10:30am), Safari (11:30am)

thanks in advance!

BTW I have not done it but I do think once you scan a FP you can try to move up another if the time is available. have a great trip!

One thing I want to make sure I understand regarding rearranging during the day: if, say, Tuesday, we scan in for our BTMRR FP+ at 9:30, we can then begin adjusting later FP+s, correct? - so we could, while in line for BTMRR, push up our Splash FP+ to 10:00, instead of 10:20?

Yes, assuming there is availability.

Hi, all - thanks again for the assistance! Just wanted to update on how it all went this morning; got on the app at exactly 4am, and secured the following:

Tuesday, 4/10 - BTMRR 9:15-10:15; Splash 10:20-11:20; Space 11:30-12:30
Wednesday, 4/11 - Dinosaur 9:10-10:10; EE 10:10-11:10; FOP 12:15-1:15 (woo-hoo!)
Thursday, 4/12 - TOT 1:15-2:15; RnR 2:15-3:15; Star Tours 3:20-4:20
Friday, 4/13 - Mission: Space 9:20-10:20; SS Earth 10:40-11:40; FEA 11:45-12:45

I'm pretty pleased! The only thing that is significantly different than what I'd hoped for is that I couldn't get an EE FP+ before 10:00, and I'd really rather do that prior to Dinosaur to cut down on walking, so I'll try to update that before arrival.

You can move up the next FP time as long as there are any more available for that timeslot.

I don’t think you have to wake up on 3 separate days for split stays. If there is no break, you should be able to book fast passes for the whole time 60 days before the first reservation.

congratulations on getting everything you planned on, especially FOP. My first 60 day mark is next week. We are doing a 3 resort split stay (renting points - it was what was available) so I have not 1, not 2 but 3 mornings next week where I get to wake up at 3:55am Pacific to get those FP+s! Nice to see you were able to get FOP at 60+2. I am hoping for it on my 2nd leg at 60+3.

This has been a very useful thread for me as I've also thought about whether to get FP+'s at the 2nd resort on hopper days, or stick to earlier ones at the am resort- I think I'll plan on earlier at the 1st resort and hope I can get some sam day at the 2nd resort. Trip is myself, DH and DD9. We last visited 4 years ago but have been to DL often so we are most interested in things that aren't at DL/DCA.

How does this look for a plan:
(1st 4am wake up)
60: EPCOT (flying in late from California the night before, staying offsite, expecting to not get to the park until 11am): Frozen (11:30), Nemo (12:30pm - we have a 1pm lunch ressie at Coral Reef), Turtle Talk (2pm); evening at DHS (Star Wars Dessert)- try to get some same day FP

60+1: EPCOT (Soarin' at rope drop), Test Track (9:30am), Mission Space Green (10:30am), ??
FP+2: DHS (get in line for Jedi Training at EMH start), RRC (9am), ST (10am), ToT (11am), or use these for when we hop to MK in the late afternoon, doing HEA dessert too - we do want to see Beauty and the Beast at DHS - do we need a FP+

(2nd 4am wake up)
60+1 MK: 7DMT (9am), BTMR (10am), Belle (11am) (lunch at BOG), hop to EPCOT later in the day to see a F&W concert
60+2 MK (sleep in/relax at pool): HM (noon - may move out if we do water park), Space (2pm), Splash (3pm), CRT lunch at 1
60+3 AM: rest/sleep in, maybe water park, AK: FOP (5pm), Dinosaur (7pm), EE (8pm) Tiffins ROL dining 5:30pm
60+4 AK: rope drop Navi, FOP (9:30am), Lion King (10:30am), Safari (11:30am)

thanks in advance!

BTW I have not done it but I do think once you scan a FP you can try to move up another if the time is available. have a great trip!
You shouldn’t need a FP for Beaty and the Beast. Other than that it looks good

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but the Dinosaur ride might be a bit scary for your kids, particularly the 4 year old. Of course, that depends on how sensitive they are.

I would try to experience Na'vi River Journey. If you're going to be at AK at rope drop, that one is a lot easier to get into than FOP first thing in the morning. Also, Pandora at night is spectacular.

DD8 rode Dinosaur when she had just turned 4 and really liked it. She was really into dinosaurs at the time and was into calling out which kinds she saw.

I will be so happy if I can book all of my FP+'s that first day. Thank you!

Any ideas on other FP+s in 2nd tier to go for at EP or DHS? I've loved "The Land" but when we went 4 yrs ago the lines always seemed really short. Ditto for the boat ride in Mexico. DD8 really wants to do Spaceship Earth but I also don't recall that having long lines except for midday/early afternoon. I could do without Figment but if DD wants to ride it I would hate to have to wait in a long line there. I am so spoiled from our last trip 4 yrs ago -we were part of the early group testing out FP+ but also go to use paper fastpasses so pretty much every single thing we did the whole trip was via a FP. I do admit getting very frustrated with the FP+ app in those early days though, so I guess getting to use FP- was a nice perk to balance the frustration for all the times I was fighting w/ the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter