free dining and dvc

catrinuk

disney mad girl
i know that i cant get free dining through dvc - but - just want to know if i am missing out on any way to get around this and if anyone has had free dining whilst using dvc points

The only way to get free dining is to pay rack rate for a room, and even then I think the dining package is based on the grade of hotel ie value, mod or deluxe.

Claire ;)

In past years, some DVCers have booked a value resort room with the free dining package, checked-in, but never stayed there.

However, I think that CRO/Disney Travel can now "see" the DVC reservations on their screen. So, they may not allow that anymore.

In past years, some DVCers have booked a value resort room with the free dining package, checked-in, but never stayed there.

There was a thread a little while back on the regular boards where someone had 2 rooms at different resorts for an extended family trip. They left some things in one of the rooms, but did not actually sleep in the room for a night or two, they then found their DDP (which was paid for, not free) was not working. :scared:

When they went back to the resort to sort out their DDP, they were told that they'd been checked-out since WDW could see they had a ressie at another resort! :eek: The items they had left in their room had been removed and could not be found, they were having problems getting refunded for the DDP they had paid for, but could no longer use - it all seemed like a great big mess. :sad2:

Personally, if we want to use the DDP (and have never felt the need to do so, so far) we'd just pay for it, rather than try to cheat the system. :upsidedow

We have got 21 nights booked at POR next august with the free dining plan, during the stay we have rented dvc points for 4 nights at AKL, we are thinking of buying into dvc but wanted to try AKL before commiting. We intended just taking a few things from our room at POR for the stay at AKl but didnt intend checking out - so is this not allowed? We didnt really want all the hassle of packing everything up and checking out of POR when we will be back in a few days to finish our holiday there. We didnt think disney would mind after all we have paid for the nights at POR even if we are not there - now im worried:confused3

We have got 21 nights booked at POR next august with the free dining plan, during the stay we have rented dvc points for 4 nights at AKL, we are thinking of buying into dvc but wanted to try AKL before commiting. We intended just taking a few things from our room at POR for the stay at AKl but didnt intend checking out - so is this not allowed? We didnt really want all the hassle of packing everything up and checking out of POR when we will be back in a few days to finish our holiday there. We didnt think disney would mind after all we have paid for the nights at POR even if we are not there - now im worried:confused3

We moved out of POFQ for 3 nights to stay at BCV then back again and didn't have any problems. I did inform our housekeeper though.

Caron

Thanks for that Caron , If we do have to check out and then check back in that means buying two lots of park tickets which for 5 of us works out a touch expensive. I might try calling disney and see what they say but i think it all depends on which person answer the phone as they all tell you something different.

Thanks for that Caron , If we do have to check out and then check back in that means buying two lots of park tickets which for 5 of us works out a touch expensive. I might try calling disney and see what they say but i think it all depends on which person answer the phone as they all tell you something different.

We didn't check out of POFQ, we left most our stuff and just took what we needed for our 3 nights at BCV. We've done this at least twice before and didn't have any problems then either.

We had free DDP from our POFQ stay and still used it when we were at BCV, just needed to use the same door key.

Caron

We didn't check out of POFQ, we left most our stuff and just took what we needed for our 3 nights at BCV. We've done this at least twice before and didn't have any problems then either.

We had free DDP from our POFQ stay and still used it when we were at BCV, just needed to use the same door key.

Caron

Was this recently and where both rooms booked in the same name?, i was going to book today and now not sure what to do, If we do have to check out and check back in we will do a few days at yacht club which is quite appealing but as i said buying two lots of tickets is a bit expensive decisions decisions !!!:confused3

Hi burt

I think the best thing to do is book in different names. Splitting the ressies up with the rest of your party should not flag a "double booking" with WDW CRO. I guess it wouldn't help either advising your housekeeper or the front desk that you might not be using your room for a couple of nights either.

I remember many years ago, my parents did a mini Bahamas cruise in the middle of their vacation, and they left everything in their hotel while they were away.

Personally, I don't think a resort should check anyone out of a paid for room :sad2: , but taking a few little extra precautions to protect your ressie (as mentioned above) definately couldn't do any harm.:)

Hi burt

I think the best thing to do is book in different names. Splitting the ressies up with the rest of your party should not flag a "double booking" with WDW CRO. I guess it wouldn't help either advising your housekeeper or the front desk that you might not be using your room for a couple of nights either.

I remember many years ago, my parents did a mini Bahamas cruise in the middle of their vacation, and they left everything in their hotel while they were away.

Personally, I don't think a resort should check anyone out of a paid for room :sad2: , but taking a few little extra precautions to protect your ressie (as mentioned above) definately couldn't do any harm.:)

Do you mean use my wife as the lead name on the booking for POR as i am the lead name on the dvc one. It does seem ludicrous if they do check you out after all the room is paid for so they are getting two lots of reservation money from us - i think they should upgrade us to the deluxe dining to compensate:rotfl:

Do you mean use my wife as the lead name on the booking for POR as i am the lead name on the dvc one. It does seem ludicrous if they do check you out after all the room is paid for so they are getting two lots of reservation money from us - i think they should upgrade us to the deluxe dining to compensate:rotfl:

It certainly seems that would be best. The guy on the regular boards was definately treated badly. :sad2: The CM at his original resort said the cancellation had happened because CRO can "see" all bookings - which sounds totally crazy to me. Both his hotel rooms and DDP were paid for, so why they felt the need to check him out is beyond my comprehension! :eek:

It certainly seems that would be best. The guy on the regular boards was definately treated badly. :sad2: The CM at his original resort said the cancellation had happened because CRO can "see" all bookings - which sounds totally crazy to me. Both his hotel rooms and DDP were paid for, so why they felt the need to check him out is beyond my comprehension! :eek:

Tink i must ask do you work for disney uk lol - i just got of the phone from speaking to a nice lady who said exactly the same as you, it shouldnt be a problem but maybe it would be best to book one in my name and one in my wifes name - why waste money phoning disney uk i hould have known that a DISer would know the answer:thumbsup2 - thanks for your replies.

That guy sure was treated badly i cant understand that at all if the rooms paid for what difference does it make if its being used or empty:confused3 , im going to go see if i can find the thread on the regular board, was it long ago?

Was this recently and where both rooms booked in the same name?, i was going to book today and now not sure what to do, If we do have to check out and check back in we will do a few days at yacht club which is quite appealing but as i said buying two lots of tickets is a bit expensive decisions decisions !!!:confused3

The most recent time was in August this year. Each time we have done this all lead names was my own. HTH.

Caron

The most recent time was in August this year. Each time we have done this all lead names was my own. HTH.

Caron

Thanks Caron, we have decided thats what we are going to do, infact with a bit of luck in the next half an hour we are about to book POR for next august:cool1:

I hope you managed to get booked yesterday :banana:

Caron

Yes Caron its all booked, flights into tampa 9th august 2 days at the coast followed by 2 nights on site universal and then 21 nights at POR - with a 4 day stay at AKL in the middle, cant wait:banana: :banana: :banana:

Yes Caron its all booked, flights into tampa 9th august 2 days at the coast followed by 2 nights on site universal and then 21 nights at POR - with a 4 day stay at AKL in the middle, cant wait:banana: :banana: :banana:

Great news, have you got the free DDP for your POR stay?

We'll be at WDW some of the same time as you; we fly out on 3rd August and back on the 20th. We'll be using our DVC points for the first time (apart from one night at BCV in August). I've booked to stay at our home resort of OKW but hoping to swap some of the nights to Vero Beach and BCV.

Caron

Great news, have you got the free DDP for your POR stay?

We'll be at WDW some of the same time as you; we fly out on 3rd August and back on the 20th. We'll be using our DVC points for the first time (apart from one night at BCV in August). I've booked to stay at our home resort of OKW but hoping to swap some of the nights to Vero Beach and BCV.

Caron

Yes we got the free dining, we upgraded it aswell dont think i could have managed with 3 weeks of 2CS meals per day!!. We have had all the information on dvc but are still undecided, main problem is we are a 5 which means at most dvc properties we would need 2BR accomodation which is a lot of points, maybe our 4 night AKL stay will make us change our mind:cool1:

Yes we got the free dining, we upgraded it aswell dont think i could have managed with 3 weeks of 2CS meals per day!!. We have had all the information on dvc but are still undecided, main problem is we are a 5 which means at most dvc properties we would need 2BR accomodation which is a lot of points, maybe our 4 night AKL stay will make us change our mind:cool1:

We had free DDP last year and couldn't use all the CS over the 2 weeks we had it and that was just one CS per day.

The newest DVC resorts (BLT and AKL Kidani) sleep 5 in their 1BR units, plus they have 2 full bathrooms which is always a help. I'm sure once you have taken the tour you will be hooked on DVC.

Caron

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter