"Free" Dining PIN...LOL!

FayeW

DIS Veteran
My family has never stayed onsite but we are open to the possibility. I received a PIN via email for "free" dining so I followed the link and priced out a vacation within the specified dates for the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. Then I priced out the same vacation without dining on the regular website. My "free" dining would cost me more than $800 for a 5 night stay. About $300. cheaper than booking at the discount rate and buying the dining plan for those days, but definitely not free.

Thanks. No. Guess we are destined to be offsite people.

ETA: Ignore everything I just said. I forgot to add in the 2 day base tickets that I had included with my PIN offer quote. Turns out the free dining was free after all!. Still too much money for me to spend for 5 days, though. I will have to calculate again when room discounts come out.

it's free in that you are paying rack room rates for your resort room

sometimes a room discount is a bigger bargain for some families

for us FD is a good deal. I like a sit down meal everyday and with 5 disney adults that's a big savings

It totally depends on your resort. The cabins are pretty expensive, so paying rack rates to get free dining isn't going to save you much, if anything at all. However, free dining can save a considerable amount at the moderate resorts.

We usually use the military discount, which is a great discount when you combine the room discount and the deeply discounted tickets. When we priced a moderate for Thanksgiving we came out hundreds cheaper by using free dining instead of our military discount (which hasn't even been announced yet). We are at Riverside with 5 guests in our room. Our kids are all considered "adults" now, so the free dining for 5 "Disney adults" was a much better discount than 35% off the room and discounted tickets.

We normally never go for free dining, but there are times it can be the cheapest route depending on your resort and travel party.

it's free in that you are paying rack room rates for your resort room

sometimes a room discount is a bigger bargain for some families

for us FD is a good deal. I like a sit down meal everyday and with 5 disney adults that's a big savings

Absolutely, and that's why you and myself included like the FD discount. When you have adult eaters, it is so worth it.;)

Its all in where you stay, how many people in your party and their ages. As someone pointed out, the cabins are higher on the price end so a room discount might save you more.

Its never free per se but for many, many people it is HANDS DOWN the best discount. When I travel with four "adults" and stay moderate its by far our best discount. At that point whether the food is free and the room is rack rate is of no matter to me, I am saving a bucket load of money.

Unless you need accomodations for six and really desire that theme/resort, price your vacation in one of the other mods. No idea why the cabins are even considered mod they don't fit that category.

To me offsite would never be an option but glad it works for you and a lot of other people!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter