Free Dining, Who Got It, and What Did You Get?

We had POFQ room only from bounceback at approximately $350 for August 29 thru Sept 1 - LABOR DAY WEEKEND for 2 adults and one child. NO values were available when I made the reservation in February.

Just got an email from Marla at Dreams Unlimited Travel that we now have our first choice of ASMovies with one day tickets (we have AP's anyways) for $496. So, for $150 dollars more we have free dining and 3 one day tickets to use when we get new passes in December. And I don't know about you but I would have a hard time feeding the three of us for a 3 day weeknd for $150. So, it seems worth it to me to lose the dragon slide my DS loves!

We have never done dining plan so I am off to decide where we want to get ADRs.

Ok... really stupid Free Dining Question coming up, you've been warned. We have seasonal APs so we've never been eligible for free dining so I am totally clueless about how it works (DH would say I'm clueless about other things too but we don't listen to him).

Do you have to book MYW tickets for your entire stay? Does everyone in your room have to book MYW tickets (three of us will already have our APs and we'd be buying our 3 yr. old his first AP). The prices they are showing on wdwinfo are just for the rooms right and don't include tickets (you were warned earlier) right? If we book using the Disney Visa dates (meaning before free dining gets offered to even more masses) do we have to book with our Disney Visa? It would be a deposit greater than one nights' stay right?

Anything else you can provide me for the quick and dirty beginner lesson would be appreciated. Thanks!

From what I understand, you have to book at least a one-day ticket....well worth all that free dining though.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, haven't had time to read through all the pages... Anyway, I know people have said they are qualifying for free dining even if their stay extends beyond the end of the offer dates, but I'm wondering about the opposite. If you begin your stay BEFORE free dining starts but your stay extends into the free dining period, will you qualify? Thanks!

Christina

if your stay starts before FD, you will not get FD even for the days that are within the FD qualifid dates. One way to work around that is to make two reservations. One for the first part of your trip then another for your FD dates. Keep in mind that there is a 3 night minimum for FD. I had to make two reservations for our trip....the first on for AAA discount room only for 8/20 - 8/24 then another reservation for FD rom 8/24 - 8/27. So at least we'll get free dining for 3 days!

Ok... really stupid Free Dining Question coming up, you've been warned. We have seasonal APs so we've never been eligible for free dining so I am totally clueless about how it works (DH would say I'm clueless about other things too but we don't listen to him).

Do you have to book MYW tickets for your entire stay? Does everyone in your room have to book MYW tickets (three of us will already have our APs and we'd be buying our 3 yr. old his first AP). The prices they are showing on wdwinfo are just for the rooms right and don't include tickets (you were warned earlier) right? If we book using the Disney Visa dates (meaning before free dining gets offered to even more masses) do we have to book with our Disney Visa? It would be a deposit greater than one nights' stay right?

Anything else you can provide me for the quick and dirty beginner lesson would be appreciated. Thanks!

you have to book a package (room and tickets) to get the FD. Many people don't need tickets because they have AP's or leftover tickets from a previous trip. So what they do is buy one day base tickets as part of their package and use the one day base tickets in the future for another trip or to put towards the cost of their next AP. The base tickets expire 14 days from the first use. If they are not used during the FD stay, they will not expire until they are used, KWIM?

I don't know what's showing on wdwinfo.....it's best to call and get the price from Disney directly

for the Disney Visa promotion, you do need to pay the deposit with your Disney Visa. The deposit amount is $200 and the balance needs to be paid in full 45 days before the trip (I think)

Okay, I'm a FL Res who's done free dining (again this year, I hope)..

You'll have to buy a MYW 1-day base ticket for everyone in the room. You can save it to put towards a ticket upgrade, though- they don't expire unless you use them.

You will need to pay the deposit with your Disney Visa if you book during the Disney Visa only period. If you wait until Thursday you can pay the deposit with whatever you want- but selection on resorts and dates may be more limited. The deposit is $200 per room you book. And your total will be due at 45 days out from your vacation, I believe.

Hope that helps. Anything I missed?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, haven't had time to read through all the pages... Anyway, I know people have said they are qualifying for free dining even if their stay extends beyond the end of the offer dates, but I'm wondering about the opposite. If you begin your stay BEFORE free dining starts but your stay extends into the free dining period, will you qualify? Thanks!

Christina

No, you cannot get the free dining before it starts, only after. Sorry. You could stay a few days before at your resort at a discount rate, say AAA or 30% or something, but then you would have to have a new reservation beginning on the first free dining day. The problem with that scenario is that if you had your park tickets already from the first reservation, you would still need to pay around $70/person for a one day pass once free dining began.

Christina

Christina, the only way to work it is with back to back reservations. I know what many people do is go with a room only for the nights before, and buy tickets from a discount broker for however long they need. Then book the FD package with one day tickets and save them towards your next trip.

Yipee!!!! I just called my TA (who's also my SIL) told her the scoop (cuz' The Dis is all knowing) and she called me back in 59 min. to tell me we're all set with free dining (I'm so excitied I'm typing too fast and spelled it "free dinging" the first time) :yay:

Good luck to everyone - I'm still surprised I haven't gotten an e-mail from Disney Visa with the free dining announcement ...anyone get one yet?

Yep! I got mine late this morning! I was surprised to actually see it that early!

We got POR 9/6-13 w/5dPH. Booked through AAA and just as expected, it's the same rate as Disney, no extra discounts. Of course I was hoping to be one of those to get a AAA as some were claiming...but I'm really pleased and excited!!

I have POP on hold for Free Dine but also have Bounce Back on hold, hope to make both trips.

To me if you do Bounce back and Dex Resort it is a very good deal but if you do Value and Free Dine it is the best deal!!! I think!!

Hi. I am waiting for my travel agent to email me and let me know if we got the free dining. We are staying at the ASM suites 8/24-8/31. Did anyone find out if they are included yet???

Nevermind found my answer....I believe they are eligible as people have gotten them but they must have had all discounts used on them already when I called.

We got it - Ploy - 9/13 thru 9/18 - 3 adults and 1 jr. upgraded to deluxe Aprox $4300 with Insurance - Make sure you get insurance - September is height of Huricanne season. Good luck to everybody. Everybody that has gotten it booked have a great vacation.

No need for Ins ...
if one comes .. they will not close the parks till the day it hits- then it will be reopen by the very next day ... the most you will miss on your trip is a few hoursof the day of it at the parks... still lots of things to do at the hotel if one hits ....
i say don't waste your money if that is the only reason you would not go ....

That is if you are at WDW already. Some people's flights may be delayed due to Florida storms. With Hurricane season, you never know, unfortunately.

I'm going to New Orleans in a few weeks to take the Katrina Tour and I'm looking forward to it but I know I'll see such damage that it's be tough to see and even imagine.

Made our reservation today-- couldn't pass up this great rate, despite having a big trip planned for December! We got 6 nights at POR with 6 day base passes with 14 day expiration, and free dining for our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children, although one child is 10) for $2090.34! We're saving about $804.

My DD & I were already booked at ASMo preferred room with dining plan for 9 days. Was able to keep same plans and get FD. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Ya'll are lucky ducks....can't afford a trip this year....

May you have a great time though!

And tell Mickey and the gang, we will see them next year...maybe

We got: 1 nite 1 room only with AAA discount for 73 bucks plus
the FD package with 2 connecting rooms at the POP with 4 day MYW tix with water park option for 2 adults and 2 10 yr olds for $2400 for 6 nites.
Now My hubby wants to get a quote for the Poly instead, he is so spoiled!;)

Just a quick question...Was anyone told that you HAD to book 5 nights?

That's what I was told when I called..I thought it said min. of 3 but I couldn't find it in the Visa email while I was on the phone with the cm.

Tracy

You are right, the minimum stay is 3 days. We are tacking 3 days at the Fort Wilderness cabins on to our DVC stay and we got free dining. Call back.

Just a quick question...Was anyone told that you HAD to book 5 nights?

That's what I was told when I called..I thought it said min. of 3 but I couldn't find it in the Visa email while I was on the phone with the cm.

Tracy

nope....just a 3 night minimum. We are booked for FD for only 3 nights with only 1 day base tickets. Definitely call back.

We already had ressies at POP for preferred room w/ DP. Now we still have the same except FREE DINING!! :dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter