Friend travelling from overseas. 2 kids. No carry-ons allowed!!

Mom-to-3

Mouseketeer
Hello! I haven't been on the Family Board in ages. We're still playing soccer and I'm still homeschooling my youngest. My leisure time is non-existent.

A friend of mine has been living in Japan for 2 years (military DH). She's coming home soon and he's staying. Her children are 3 and 6. The total travel time to her mom's house in the US is 27 hours: 8 hours of layovers -- 19 hours of travelling by airplane, train, or car.

She's been warned that they might not allow any carry-on baggage.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks!

She could try to buy a big purse, I guess. Purses are not usually considered "carry-ons". FWIW, I flew to/from Japan with a 14 month old and we slept a lot each way. All I really needed was diapers and a couple of small toys.

INCREDIBLE!!

This has what we have come to: no carry-ons under the guise of safety??????

Why is it that we are ALWAYS Penny Wise and Pound Foolish??????

Just what we need; airlines to say we can't bring anything on board. But what about all that baggage and cargo in the belly of the aircraft?????

Is any of that scanned, searched, rifled, perused, viewed, examined, inspected?????

And how about all of that great airport security?????

Do you know how many times passenger aircraft are parked in remote reaches of airport taxi-ways and tarmacks, sometimes for days, without nary a guard posted, cabin door secured, access door locked?????

This tragic incident, so fiendishly executed in the "most powerful country in the world" was bound to happen. And now, after such a tragedy, we FINALLY are beginning to awaken and say to ourselves "Maybe we need to look at aviation security."

TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE FOR THE 6500 PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIED, AND FOR THE OTHER 6500 PEOPLE INJURED.

As a Jew, and Damn Proud Of It, you never see Israel's national airline, El-Al, experience any incidents that even remotely approach the severity of this one!

I hate to rag-on this topic but I CANNOT BELIEVE WE HAVE EVEN FOUND OURSELVES IN THIS PREDICAMENT.

And I feel incredibly sorry for the military wife facing such a long flight with the possibility that she cannot bring anything on board for herself or her children.

SHAME ON ALL AVIATION POLICY MAKERS FOR ALL THE PROCRASTINATING THAT HAS OCCURRED IN IMPLEMENTING THE KINDS OF SECURITY MEASURES THAT VIRTUALLY EVERY COUNTRY IN EUROPE HAS HAD IMPLEMENTED SINCE THE MID-1980S.

MAY YOU POLICY MAKERS REST SOUNDLY KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE SAVED A COUPLE OF BUCKS IN YOUR STRIVINGS FOR CHEAP, POORLY DESIGNED, STUPIDLY CONCEIVED, GOVERNMENTAL AVIATION PROGRAMS.

By the way, I still hope you continue to require that the security screeners in airports continue to be run by inept private companies, who pay minimum wage, and provide no training of value, as a way of keeping terrorists out of our airline cabins...

Now that is REAL governmental leadership...

This message has been brought to you by a jaded world traveler that thanks God every day that he was not on any of the aircraft that have been downed by terrorists in our recent times:

September 11, 2001

Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbee

Air India flight 98

Just to name a few...

:mad:

Disnee Dad says......................................... DR. HAPPY be glad that you live in a country that lets you go on a tyrade about air security. You can't do that in a lot of countries. Feel fortunate that you can speak your mind freely in this country. I have to tell you though, that I agree with everything you say!!! What really gets me are the pukes in Berkely burning the flag. They scream get government out of our lives, and peace at all costs. They believe that they have no responsibity but want all the benefits of living in a free country. They hate the government, but are the first to line up for financial aid and suck off the government. They hate the police, but are the first to call when confronted by the real Americans. They hate the treatment of animals, but are the first to ask for the drugs developed from animal research to save their lives. It's sad that they live among us, but they can, because this is America! And isn't it great!!! Sorry to everyone that I got off track, we will now return you to your show now in progress.

Wow how hard that would be.Like the other poster stated, how unfair to this family. I read this post& I have been trying to think of some pratical ideas in case this situation does come to pass. As aslo stated above a BIG pocket book would be great.Also perhaps you could carry on a hand checked diaper bag.All three year olds are not potty trained.For a few limited items I would consider washable magic markers. Napkins and paper cups from the plane could be made into pupets, dolls ect. They can also be used to give the kids tatoos all over themselves.Wearing alot of clothes with pockets to tuck in a few small snacks or tiny toys would also work. Pehaps each child could carry on their own sip cup and bag of dry ceral or other snack.If all else fails, sing, tell them lots of stories, play I spy, 20 question type games and pray that they will sleep a lot. I would beg for 1 hand checked carry on. Good luck to your friend!

Jordan's mom

Hello! I don't know which airline she is flying (and it might be more than one). She lives on a military base right now and is often vague about details -- must be a security thing. The first time she mentioned her husband leaving I thought she was talking about her marriage! ;)

Thanks for all your ideas. I'll pass them on.

We recently flew cross country with almost 3 y.o. girl & 5 y.o. boy. I have one word for you - Stickers! We brought TONS of stickers with us and both kids were totally entertained. We also brought a big new notebook for each one to use with the stickers. They even used these in the car when we got to our destination and they can color in them too. If they buy sheet of stickers they can just stick them inside the notebook and they wouldn't need a bag to carry them. Hope this works as well for them as it did for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter