Friends and Family Discount

betsywdw

DIS Veteran
Is this something the DVC normally does? Since I just joined in February, I wasn't sure if it was typical or not. The e-mail I got says it can be at SSR or OKW for 164/night for a Studio for certain dates thru September.

I just saw this email and was kind of surprised by the offer. Is this coming out of the CRO percent of rooms? At some point does DVC open up its rooms to CRO resevations?

At 60 days, DVC can turn over unreserved rooms to CRO. So that would be until about 9/3 now. I don't know if they can "hedge their bet" based on open inventory for the rest of September.

It really has me wondering why all the open rooms. They moved people from values and AKL to SSR & OKW and now they are offering big discounts. Are members who own there staying elsewhere in large numbers? How much unsold inventory does SSR have? Did the announcement of AKV and the rumor of CRV slow down sales?

Okay..dumb question...

Are DVC members eligible for the discount? I know that it says 'family and friends' but what about us DVCers?? I needed to add one more night to my vacation and couldn't get the AP disount (which is the same as this special) and now I am wondering if I can book the room using this discount for myself. I read that advertisement several times and I didn't notice anything regarding who exactly is not eligible.

Okay..dumb question...

Are DVC members eligible for the discount? I know that it says 'family and friends' but what about us DVCers?? I needed to add one more night to my vacation and couldn't get the AP disount (which is the same as this special) and now I am wondering if I can book the room using this discount for myself. I read that advertisement several times and I didn't notice anything regarding who exactly is not eligible.

Good question. DH just asked the same thing. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows.

OT: I grew up in Indiana, PA and went to Punxsy a few times!

Good question. DH just asked the same thing. I'll be interested to see if anyone knows.

OT: I grew up in Indiana, PA and went to Punxsy a few times!

It would be great if someone called to find out and would post it!!

...I grew up in Indiana too!!!!! Small world isn't it!!

I got that email, too. I didn't call because I'm not interested in the offer but I don't see why DVC members couldn't stay for that cash price as well as anyone else could.

If you call be ready for mass confusion.

There is no code attached to the email and the number to call is the DRC, not MS and they know absolutely nothing about this offer and were even rude about it when I tried to get info.

The CM kept telling me I had to call MS for DVC reservations. And I kept saying I have the email right in front of me and it said call this number which is the DRC.

Another case of Disney not knowing what the heck they are doing. :confused3

I called yesterday asking about it. The first person I spoke to insisted I call member services. "I can't book dvc using your points." :confused3 She wasn't listening because I told her that I wasn't calling to book points. I became extremely frustrated and hung up.

I called again and spoke to a very helpful cm. She gave me the quote for the time frame I was looking for. If you get a cm that doesn't know what to do.........call again. Chances are they will know what you need. Good luck!

Goofydad's wife

Do I understand this correctly? During the same timeframe, upgrades to a 1-BR at SSR or OKW were offered to guests at POP and AS paying $89 per night and free dining was included. This is supposed to be a deal for DVC members to pay $164 for a studio?

I called yesterday asking about it. The first person I spoke to insisted I call member services. "I can't book dvc using your points." :confused3 She wasn't listening because I told her that I wasn't calling to book points. I became extremely frustrated and hung up.

I called again and spoke to a very helpful cm. She gave me the quote for the time frame I was looking for. If you get a cm that doesn't know what to do.........call again. Chances are they will know what you need. Good luck!

Goofydad's wife

I'm curious...did you book this for yourself? Are you a DVC member? Or did you book this for someone else??

beacher said:
Do I understand this correctly? During the same timeframe, upgrades to a 1-BR at SSR or OKW were offered to guests at POP and AS paying $89 per night and free dining was included. This is supposed to be a deal for DVC members to pay $164 for a studio?

Personally I think those upgrades from the values are pure pixie dust. The offer for $164 for a studio is still better than the rack rate for Value season (RR is for a studio at SSR or OKW is $279 per night plus tax). Others have speculated (and this makes sense to me) that what they are doing is promoting SSR and/or DVC to people who might not otherwise consider it, in the hopes of selling out SSR more quickly...so they can move on (hopefully) to announce new resorts and development. SSR is almost sold out - expected to sell out in the fall this year some time (which is well ahead of the original schedule btw). Whatever they do in the way of special offers, pixie dust, added incentives and so on to purchase SSR is probably all aimed at speeding up the last bit of sales.

I'm curious...did you book this for yourself? Are you a DVC member? Or did you book this for someone else??

We are DVC members. Friends of ours are going to the World in September to take advantage of free dining. I called to get a quote for their time frame. They are not staying at a deluxe so I thought I would give them a different price perspective. Does that make sense? I don't know if they will take advantage of it or not. I think at this point they are comparing the prices and amenities etc.......

:) Goofydad's Wife

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter