From the Boardwalk to the Edge of the Galaxy - A July 2020 Trip Report

Sorry for the lack of posts these past few days! It was my birthday last Friday, so I was hanging out with my family and my bf this weekend. And I have finals this Wednesday and Thursday, then move back to school on Saturday, so I'm busy to say the least. However, I will have time for some updates!! A new post is coming soon!!

My mom does intermittent fasting and my family never really eats a huge breakfast, so we usually like to eat lunch pretty early. It also allows us to avoid the huge lunch crowds.

We were out of Rise around 11:40 so we placed a mobile order at Docking Bay 7 while walking over there. It was a little confusing to find, especially with the limited signage. I really didn't research the layout of the land before visiting. We tried walking into the little marketplace area to cut through the land, but that was at capacity so we went around.

My first glimpse of the Millennium Falcon! Knowing the layout of the land now, I can see we walked too far, but I'm not really complaining. It's so huge in person!

50146349922_5c807c935a_b.jpg

Our food wasn't ready yet, so we walked around the land for a bit. The level of theming is sublime! We walked into a pretty cool store (don't know what it was called):

50142413842_a422e3ab3a_b.jpg

After exploring the store for just a few minutes, our food was ready so we went over to what we though was Docking Bay. It was actually Ronto Roasters, a cast member had to point us in the way of Docking Bay. The entrance to Ronto Roasters was a lot more grand than Docking Bay, so it was a little confusing!

Once inside Docking Bay, a cast member directed us to the mobile order pickup area where we got our food and drinks. We made our way to the small outdoor seating area. We ended up having to split apart a bit, my brother and dad sat at bar chairs around a tree while the rest of us sat in a small booth.

My dad and I ordered the Endorian Fried Chicken Tip Yip, my mom got the Batuuan Beef Pot Roast, my brother got the Felucian Kefta and Garden Spread, and my sister got the Roasted Endorian Chicken Salad...what a mouthful! So what I gather, Endor is famous for their chicken, beef comes from Batuu, and it's popular to be vegetarian in Flucia? Haha! We also got a few of the Batuu-bon desserts.

Fried Chicken Tip Yip:

50145804737_d857ae55aa_b.jpg

Beef Pot Roast:

50138497941_e0b1561c78_b.jpg

Batuu-bon:

50148459353_8d20ea375a_b.jpg

I didn't get a photo of my brother or sister's entrees, sorry!

So for a food review: the fried chicken dish was interesting. The very rectangular shape of the chicken was unique and I was a little suspicious before I tasted it. The flavor however was great! The breading was well seasoned and the chicken wasn't too dry. The mac n' cheese was decent, but I wish I got the mashed potatoes. The broccoli was also well seasoned and not overdone.

I had a bite or two of my mom's pot roast and it was very tasty! I'm not really a mushroom person but I would order this in the future. My sister's salad was alright, but my brother's veggie meatball meal was truly delicious. Disney hummus is oddly good and I would probably order this next time I visit.

The dessert was also great! The algae looking stuff looked weird but was just green cake. It reminded me a lot of a tiramisu, and was pretty rich. I'm a big fan of these new interesting looking desserts they have here and over at Satu'li Canteen.

Overall I loved Docking Bay 7! The food was unique and high quality for Disney counter service. The price was higher than most other counter service places, but I think being able to eat "Star Wars food" makes it worth it. The other counter service dining options in Hollywood Studios are hardly remarkable, so I'd say this is probably your best option.

We decided that after lunch, my mom, sister and I would head back to Toy Story Land while my dad and brother would shop for a bit and meet us in TSL. We were thinking of riding Smuggler's Run, but the line was posted 45 minutes while Toy Story Mania was only five. First my mom went over to find a restroom, which was kind of confusing to find. Soon enough though we were walking back over to Toy Story Land!

While looking for the restroom, I spotted some Storm Troopers and Kylo Ren:

50146448896_1d7bc320d0_b.jpg

The first attraction we rode after lunch was Alien Swirling Saucers:

50145572497_779ba03a82_b.jpg

50146559782_c809899f83_b.jpg

I kind of loved this ride. We walked on and I would never wait more than 10-20 minutes for it, but sliding around the little alien ship was so fun and adorable. I love that it was a modern version of the Whip at Hersheypark, which was one of the more interesting flat rides I've ridden. One drawback though was that for a new ride, it was oddly rough. I feel like around the turns, the vehicle would jackhammer a bit. My mom didn't enjoy that but liked the ride overall.

Our next ride was Toy Story Mania. The last time we were at Hollywood Studios in January 2014, this was THE hot ticket attraction. It was always a mad dash to get Fastpasses and the line was so long. Sadly, we missed out last time. But today, we got to ride it with a walk on wait! It was SO much fun. My mom isn't a video game person and isn't a fan of the Buzz Lightyear ride in Magic Kingdom. She initially sat in the middle because she thought she wouldn't really want to play. But after our first ride, she wanted to play for herself.

While we were walking out of the ride, I got a call from my dad and brother saying they wanted to ride it as well, so they met us outside the ride and we all rode again. Everyone really loved this ride...we are all pretty competitive. I forgot this ride had wind effects, so that was really fun! However, your masks did fog up the 3D glasses, so you had to get the positioning juuuuust right.

I won both times around...I have a feeling I could do better though!

50141738213_8dc220a2f2_b.jpg

Up next: venturing back into the "old" side of Hollywood Studios (rip Streets of America)

Last edited:
After the fun rides on Toy Story Mania, we saw the wait time for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway were only 30 minutes, so we left Toy Story Land and headed on over.

The area between Toy Story Land and the older part of the park was very empty:

50146257121_cd00191321_b.jpg

By the time we made it to the end of the line for MMRR, the wait was now posted 45 minutes. It looked to be consistently moving, so we got in line. It also looked like it was threatening to rain, so we figured we'd rather be waiting in line inside or under a cover than scrambling to find cover elsewhere in the park.

The queue was winding around the plaza of the theater, but it was moving quickly.

50146419537_5668e1410e_b.jpg

50142419812_4b3f6be099_b.jpg

When we got around to the covered portion of the queue on the right side of the theater, the line stopped moving for a while. I'm thinking they were doing a cleaning of the ride, but no announcement was made. Soon enough though the queue was moving again and we were inside the building!

I never got to ride the Great Movie Ride (I really regret it). So I was wowed with the lobby of the theater, it was so cool!

I'm keeping this section of the review spoiler free, so I'm not trying to give too much away. But we didn't get to watch the preshow. We were placed on socially distant dots in the preshow room, but the preshow was already "done" (people who have ridden before understand). I wish we could have gotten to see it--I watched it on Youtube and it looks cool!

There was another short wait before boarding the train. All said and done, we did probably wait 30-40 minutes. Luckily, it didn't rain when we were in line.

I didn't watch any videos of this ride before we rode and I loved it! There were a bunch of fun surprises along the way. There is SO much to look at, it's a visually overwhelming ride. I loved how the scenes of the ride could transform in seconds, sometimes right before your eye. My main criticism is that I feel like these trackless rides do not feel intimate at all. The scenes were very impressive but you still had the sense you were moving around a big room. The same can be said for rides like it's a small world, but I just noticed it more here. Also, the sound for this ride felt exceptionally loud. I'm not really sensitive to loud noises, but this ride was LOUD. At certain points the volume was so high that it was hard to understand what was being said. Overall though, it was a really cute and fun ride and I can't wait to ride it again soon!

We still haven't made it over to Tower of Terror and Rock n' Roller Coaster, so after MMRR, we made our way down Sunset Boulevard. This is honestly one of the better themed "streets" in Disney World--I love it!

50145639646_02401ac2a2_b.jpg

50145824627_6d8924d5fe_b.jpg

I think the posted wait time for Tower of Terror was 25 minutes. The line was backed up to the gardens area, but it moved quickly. Just before entering the lobby, there was an announcement that it was being closed for cleaning. Everyone sat down on the ground prepared for a delay, but oddly, in a minute or two, the line was moving again. I wonder what happened.

50137916468_efbf517e6b_b.jpg

I've ridden ToT before and loved it--I think it's one of the best story driven rides at Disney. It's been a while though, so I forgot how intense it was. I really wanted my parents to experience it, but seeing how tall it was and how much they hate the stomach dropping feeling, I told my mom she might want to rethink riding it. I feel bad because she really wanted to see the theming and experience of the ride, but she was just anxious about the drops. By the time we got to the boiler room area of the queue, my parents decided to sit this one out and took the chicken exit. My brother and sister still wanted to ride though.

We were seated in an elevator with one other party--we were in the front row. I forgot how much suspense this ride creates. I've been on some massive roller coasters with little fear, but I was definitely feeling nervous as we were moving through the hotel. The drop sequence was AMAZING--a lot scarier than I remembered, so good thing my parents sat this one out. My siblings loved the ride. Interestingly, my brother hates drop towers, but had a lot of fun on this ride. Maybe it was easier because it was in the dark? This ride still remains as one of my favorite rides at Disney. Hearing that elevator ding before plummeting in the dark is such an amazing moment.

Next up was Rock n' Roller Coaster. I missed this ride on my last trip, so I was excited to ride again. Sadly, no one else in my family was up for riding, but I wasn't too upset because I knew I wouldn't be sitting next to a stranger. I'm usually an outgoing person, but I always feel awkward sitting next to strangers on roller coasters, like I can't scream or something.

50145778702_33f8d0a923_b.jpg

The line was posted as 30 minutes, but I think wait times have been really overestimated. I took the photo above at 2:41, and was in what would have been the preshow room at 2:47.

50146588256_24855fd8a2_b.jpg

I wanted to get a photo of the launch, but I failed. The line kept moving!!

50145469226_bbf6f91f21_b.jpg

I was sat in the back row of the "limo" which gave an intense ride. I loved it! Forces were strong and the ride was pretty smooth. I pulled the restraint one click too far, so it was a little painful on my shoulders, but it wasn't awful. As far as roller coasters in the dark go, I still prefer Space Mountain. But the launch was pretty intense and the Aerosmith music was super fun!

Up next: heading back over to Galaxy's Edge and the rest of the day at Hollywood Studios!

Excellent trip report! I am scheduled to go in November and you have eased my anxiety!

I’m sorry for the radio silence the past few days! I just moved into my apartment this past weekend and I’ve been crazy busy getting settled, running errands, and more. I’ll be back very soon though with another update!

Loving this trip report! You have gone to a few places to eat that my husband and I haven’t ventured to and it’s encouraging us to get out of our box!

Did you do a trip report on WDW Prep to Go’s podcast?? I’m totally listening to it right now 😆

Did you do a trip report on WDW Prep to Go’s podcast?? I’m totally listening to it right now 😆
Finally got back on Disboards after a hiatus and YES I was!! Life got way too busy for me to finish this trip report, but I loved talking to Shannon about my August trip! Hope you enjoyed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter