Frustrated member trying to rent points!

DVCPAM

Mouseketeer
I am a BCV owner who apparently did not plan well enough when using my points. I over-used and now am in a bind. We will need to rent or have 164 points tranferred into our account in order to bring family with us for a reunion. All that is not so bad as trying to get ANYONE to answer my posts for renting on the Rent/Trade board.

I have responded to nearly 20 posts of members who have points they want to rent out. A few have responded once, but most have just ignored my posts and emails. Most of these people never even post back that they rented their points or that their thread is closed!

It is so frustrating. I feel like the points are being dangled in front of me but never really rented out. If I could afford an add-on right now I would.
I guess the word is out on what a great deal it is to rent points instead of going through CRO.

Thanks for listening to my rant- I must sound like a lunatic!

~Pam

I am a BCV owner who apparently did not plan well enough when using my points. I over-used and now am in a bind. We will need to rent or have 164 points tranferred into our account in order to bring family with us for a reunion. All that is not so bad as trying to get ANYONE to answer my posts for renting on the Rent/Trade board.

I have responded to nearly 20 posts of members who have points they want to rent out. A few have responded once, but most have just ignored my posts and emails. Most of these people never even post back that they rented their points or that their thread is closed!

It is so frustrating. I feel like the points are being dangled in front of me but never really rented out. If I could afford an add-on right now I would.
I guess the word is out on what a great deal it is to rent points instead of going through CRO.

Thanks for listening to my rant- I must sound like a lunatic!

~Pam

If you can't find points to rent, you may be able to get 25% off the regular cash rate for the room. Member Services often has discounted rooms avalable for members.

The pick up in people wanting points is definitely different than what it was a year ago. The word is out about point renting. It's like a feeding frenzy almost. I just don't think there are enough members renting for all the people that want points.

I second what Chuck said - we were able to pick up a cash night on a weekend with a member discount and I got lucky and found another member that transferred me the 32 points we needed. Don't give up.

Good luck.

How much are you offering? Try upping your $/point offer amount a bit. IF you haven't posted what you are willing to pay, try it - maybe people are assuming you only want to pay $8 or $9 per point.

Most owners say they would rather transfer than fuss with the reservations. Seems like 164 points ought to be enough to temp someone to use their one transfer per use year allotment.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a response - if you've only been trying a few days, give it more time. Some people just do not check PMs or email as often as others.

Good luck!

Or you could just let the rest of the family get their own lodging.

Keep in mind that if you are going to try a transfer, you will have to find one source for all the points you need, and that will have to be the one and only transfer that year for both you and the other owner. You can only do one transfer (in OR out, but not both) each year.

Transferring may be preferable, but it's certainly not as easy as it once was.

Before I took the dive into buying DVC, I rented several times. I would get quick answers to my response, etc. :thumbsup2 But then lately, people began posting points to rent and then never coming back to check if they got any responses. That began to drive me nuts . . . :confused: So, it forced me to buy in and I no longer have to worry about getting a response :goodvibes I also noticed the extremely low post count for rentors and began to feel uncomfortable with the whole process.

Even thought I am Type A and a little over-anxious, for goodness sakes people . . . acknowledge and respond to your potential renters;)

I am always giving away more points than I have, and I've had to rent points from other members before to finish out reservations for friends and family. I knew when Member services announced the restrictions on transfers last year that I was going to have a harder time renting transferred points. I'm assuming you are searching for BCV points to use more than 7 months out, so you may have to offer $11 or $12 per point to get these. Also, you may want to consider asking for a reservation instead of transferred points for members who have already used their transfer option. My way of solving this dilemma would be to call my guide(he is on speed dial) and add-on 82 BCV points, and immediately borrow next year's points to get my needed 164, but that may not be the answer for you. I wish I could help, but I don't own at BCV. And my husband has threatened to leave me if I call Marshall again! The thought of losing half the points I already have is a poweful deterrent! Good luck!

I think another problem is the fact that many of the posts currently on the R/T Board are points that, for whatever reason, can't be transferred. You didn't mention when you are trying to get reservations, but I think you will find what you're looking for if you just keep checking the board on a daily basis and offer at least $10 (or $12 if you want a quicker response). Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter