Frustrated with lack of photopass in Disneyland

I still plan on doing MP for at least one ticket for our full 4 days in park just for the PP. Good to hear that there are still a lot of opportunities. The lack of photographer at the Royal Hall really surprised me. Any chance they bring someone back for that?
We went to Royal Hall 3x during our trip earlier this week. Two of those times were back to back (on the 2 different sides - Ariel was swapped with Aurora) We got photopass for one of those times, so they are around at least some of the time. Maybe you can ask the attendant if there is a photopass photographer and ask for the side where they are?

Just a little update - I had way better luck at DL than DCA with photopass. I found that I had to go looking for them instead of just hoping I'd randomly run into one. Anytime I heard a click or saw a flash from a "real" camera, I quickly looked for the uniform. I did have luck with roving ones around matterhorn, thunder mountain, toontown, and the wishing well (very hidden but I noticed a flash going off at night!) Also some in Toontown with mickey and Minnie, Royal Hall, main street with mickey, front entrance and Valentine's sign (lots of long lineups though). I also noticed more on a Friday than Thursday - not sure if there are more during busier days.

Just a little update - I had way better luck at DL than DCA with photopass. I found that I had to go looking for them instead of just hoping I'd randomly run into one. Anytime I heard a click or saw a flash from a "real" camera, I quickly looked for the uniform. I did have luck with roving ones around matterhorn, thunder mountain, toontown, and the wishing well (very hidden but I noticed a flash going off at night!) Also some in Toontown with mickey and Minnie, Royal Hall, main street with mickey, front entrance and Valentine's sign (lots of long lineups though). I also noticed more on a Friday than Thursday - not sure if there are more during busier days.
This! They normally blend in, so you have to look. Especially on high crowd days when there are so many people, and they stand off to the side rather than out in the walkways.

I guess I was lucky when we were there in January. There weren't an insane number of them around, and it was't unusual for them to be waiting for someone to approach them for a picture. I wasn't shy and always did and we got some great shots. I am probably in the minority, but I would much prefer to have to look for them than have them constantly barraging me and asking if they can take my picture.

Our first family trip in 2012 we had a few PP photographers approach us, normally if we were stopped and just looking at things. One of my all time favorite pix is of our fam on Main Street when a photographer asked if we wanted a pic. Glad they don't hound us, but I wish they wore more easy-to-spot outfits!

Good to hear that there do seem to be several photographers around! I hope Royal Hall has one; I can snap some pix on my phone, but neither hubby nor I are particularly good at photography so we'd much prefer to have a professional do it!

We have purchased the PP+ for a number of visits now. This past December it seems like there was a definite decrease in the number of photos were downloaded. It was more than half. I also had 1 goal in mind and that was to get our picture in front of the castle at night (Christmastime). We got there an hour and a half before the fireworks and the PP photographers had closed up shop! I realize that this was more our fault, but, I thought we were there in plenty of time.

I plan on writing Disneyland about the lack of PP photographers.

That's odd - I was able to do it on two separate nights on my trip in December. The first time was after the fireworks, but the second time was definitely before (between 6:30 and 7:00), because I had to get back to my hotel for the shuttle back to the airport (red-eye flight.)

The deterioration of the Photopass situation is one of the few things I’ve actually contacted Disney about - the removal of them from the indoor character spots in particular is really an issue for me. I think it’s ridiculous.

Just to make sure everyone is aware: the Photopass photographers are not allowed to approach people and ask if they want pictures anymore. In addition, they are supposed to be “unobtrusive.” So if you see one standing around, don’t assume they’re waiting for a character, just go and ask for photos.

Also, the app is helpful for finding them.

I do encourage people to share their desire for more photographers with Disney!

The deterioration of the Photopass situation is one of the few things I’ve actually contacted Disney about - the removal of them from the indoor character spots in particular is really an issue for me. I think it’s ridiculous.

Just to make sure everyone is aware: the Photopass photographers are not allowed to approach people and ask if they want pictures anymore. In addition, they are supposed to be “unobtrusive.” So if you see one standing around, don’t assume they’re waiting for a character, just go and ask for photos.

Also, the app is helpful for finding them.

I do encourage people to share their desire for more photographers with Disney!
So sad.:sad: My friends, family, and I have had some great photos from photopass CM's over the years.

Yesterday we had some good luck in DCA with photopass. We got photopass pictures with Mickey, Daisy, Goofy, and Sully (it was 2319 day!). They got some great shots of all of us!

We just got back from three days and I definitely saw MORE PP Photographers than the past couple of years. We saw them with many outdoor characters and several standing (with lines) in popular photo areas. It's definitely the most I've seen in a while, so maybe they are ramping back up to get ready for this summer!!

We just got back from three days and I definitely saw MORE PP Photographers than the past couple of years. We saw them with many outdoor characters and several standing (with lines) in popular photo areas. It's definitely the most I've seen in a while, so maybe they are ramping back up to get ready for this summer!!

This is great news! I hope you are right!

I was just there Jan. 19 - 23. I had originally planned to get maxpass (both for booking fastpasses and the free photo downloads) but scrapped the idea when they raised prices by $5. With a family of 5 with 3 day tickets, that was a significant increase. I was still considering buying 1 maxpass for the free photo downloads, but I literally only got 1 photo I was interested in buying the entire trip so I never bothered. I've found there to be many, many more photographers all over WDW and was expecting the same for DL. Guess not?

Yesterday we had some good luck in DCA with photopass. We got photopass pictures with Mickey, Daisy, Goofy, and Sully (it was 2319 day!). They got some great shots of all of us!

Seems like it might be hit or miss, depending on the day! While I'm glad this means they haven't permanently reduced PP, it's still frustrating when the price has increased on max pass and if you're there on the wrong day, you're just out of luck and not getting many pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter