Full Size Auto - 4 Adults/2 Kids

Kelly&John

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I have a reservation with National Rental Car for a Full Size Automobile through their Emerald Isle service. Will this car be too small for the six of us. We are only using it one day. We are dropping it off at the Dolphin the next day.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kelly

All of the full-sizes I've rented from national only seat 5 people, with it being a tight fit for 5. There is a console in the middle of the front seat, therefore no one can sit there. If you really need a car for 6 people, I'd get a minivan, since you'll definately have enough room. Some of the premiums will sit 6 people, but that can't be guaranteed.

My first thought is that not only are there seats for only 5 people, but seatbelts for only 5 people as well. Go with a bigger car!

Thanks for the information. I think we'll be renting the minivan.

Kelly

We have rented Impalas without the console and they are equipped with 6 seat belts.
We had 7 adults with us and it was fine. (not that it was ok to have the 7th person in there)
I have to correct the information, we only had 6 adults, but two of them were REALLY big people. Normally I can count, but, I guess yesterday was one of those days, sorry.

Kelly and John - we always rent a full-size vehicle. The DO have SIX seat belts haven't rented one that doesn't have six. We have 2 adults and 4 kids. Our youngest is 5 so she fits just fine in the sixth seat belt in the front.

The rental companies always state that the car only fits 5 but it really isn't true.

So, unless you really want to spend extra on a minivan I'd stick with the full-size it should be just fine.

Zurgswife,

Thank-you very much. We will be four average sized adults and two kids - 9 and 6. I can't believe how much more it is to rent a minivan. Personally, I am more comfortable driving a car.

Thanks again,

Kelly

You can no longer drop cars off at the Dolphin. You'll have to take it to the Car Care Center over near the MK. They will drive you back to your resort from there.

Anne

We are a family of 6 trying to rent something cheaper than a Mini Van also and it drives me crazy because when I call the Car rental places, they say Full size and Premium HAS 6 seat belts, but then on their websites- they only show 5 (except Alamo's premiums), then I call back and question them and then they usually say they CAN'T Guarentee me the 6 seat belts. BUT this is essential to me since we are driving with 4 kids for 18 hours to get to Orlando. I wish these rental car places would get their facts straight. So what I did was reserve a few cars at different places just to make sure I can get a 6 seater!! If anyone is VERY familar with this subject and the 6 seat belt thing, please reply and tell me WHICH Rental Car companies have screwed up and didn't give you a 6 seater when you specifically asked for one.... Thank you.

We have rented from National and Alamo recently the past 12 months and we have ressies with National on March 2 for a full size car. Both companies have a full size with a 6 seat belts no problem....I did just remember that National wasn't going to rent to us when we told them we had six people....reason there are only 5 seat belts and FL state law requires everyone to have a seat belt. We said OK we only have 5....DH said he would send his MIL on the bus instead (she wasn't there...it could have caused problems if it was true). The agent just said OK and sent us to the car area. We got into our full size vehicle and low and behold it had 6 seat belts....

I think they say 5 because they want you to rent a mini van for more money; when a full size car would serve your needs just fine. Now it could be a problem if everyone in your party was a full size adult. We do have 4 kids and 2 adults and have tons of room. I think it will be a few years before we have to up size...

zurgswife,
They tell you this because some of the full size cars only have 5 seat belts, like the Monte Carlo we rented. It had bucket seats in the front, hence, only two seat belts. Also, some of the Impalas come that way.
We did rent one(Impala) with 5 adults and one(Buick something full sized) with 6 adults (2 REALLY BIG adults) and we did just fine. So, as your family grows, you will probably be able to avoid the mini van (something I would never rent). :)
I really don't think they tell you this to make you upgrade, I think they tell you this because they cannot guarantee that they will have a full size with 6 belts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter