Fun, Sun & Strong Water Rum...*Yo-Ho*...23 Nights @ Sapphire Falls...A May 2022 TR

We're also doing the happy dance - 19 days until Universal but have the other happy dance of my youngest daughter's graduation in 16 days!!! As my hubby says his vacation starts when we check into Universal even though we"ll be in Epcot and Hollywood Studios prior to Universal for a couple of days (LOL).

Oh now that is exciting to look forward to. The Graduation will be a wonderful event to enjoy before your trip, I`m sure you`re all incredibly excited for it. Comes around so fast!

lol....yes, I can understand that feeling.........hope you enjoy your time at Disney though and it`s not too busy....then Universal time for you :cheer2:

cv91-Th.jpg

Well......2 weeks until we leave for the overnight at the airport....but it still counts, doesn`t it?????

As of today, we still have to test before we fly to the United States, and it has to be the day before, so we`ll book an appointment later this week for just after we arrive up at the airport, yes, we still plan to do that, crazy as it might be. I`m a big believer in whatever will be will be.......

It`s an Antigen test we need to take and results are emailed back to us within an hour, we`ll use the hotel business centre to print out (hopefully) the certificate that will enable us to fly the next day.

Our rental car booking for the first time is an ammendable rate, we have used a different way of booking for us and gone through a man who gives excellent rates from a UK site. Our original booking with him was for an SUV from Budget who we had never used before and were a little nervous as we always use Alamo, but for the prices other firms were asking for, some were over $3,000 we thought we`d give it a go. He is highly recommended and many folks have used him before and been happy with his prices and service.

But, on checking rates this week, Tom noticed they had dropped and Alamo were coming out cheaper by a few hundred pounds, almost $400 less, so we opted to change to the Alamo SUV. I think everyone has been amazed last couple of years just how expensive rental cars have been, at one point we were being quoted over $4,000 for our shorter Christmas trips......crazy money. But, we couldn`t imagine not having a car while we are in Orlando as we do like to roam around from one place to the other and most days we pop offsite somewhere even if it is just to the Mall at Millenia or Publix.

We might look to make a reservation for the Mother`s Day brunch at Sapphire as we absolutely loved it in 2019, we were so impressed with the quality of produce, so that might be the only reservation we make.

Making reservations in advance seems to be happening more and more.....but, not a chance will we think now where we want to eat in the next few weeks.....we won`t starve, that`s for sure. It`s a shame so many are now thinking that way and it`s starting to feel Disney-esque with dining reservations which is not how we want to vacation. Universal was always fun that way and it is changing sadly.

We always have offsite to enjoy ::yes::

I think this week, we`ll go get some dollars.....we always go through a lot of 5s and 1`s, usually for tips, so we make sure we have a good start when we arrive, I`d hate to not be able to tip someone straight away, not in our nature.

But, real life......it`s Easter Sunday.......I hope whatever you are doing today you have a wonderful day and a very Happy Easter to all........🐣

Making reservations in advance seems to be happening more and more.....but, not a chance will we think now where we want to eat in the next few weeks.....we won`t starve, that`s for sure. It`s a shame so many are now thinking that way and it`s starting to feel Disney-esque with dining reservations which is not how we want to vacation. Universal was always fun that way and it is changing sadly.

We (hubby & I) agree entirely with this sentiment- seems UO is getting more & more "Disneyfied" as we call it & not in a positive way :sad2:.

Shoot, I mostly don't know what I want for dinner the morning of the same DAY, LOL & there's just a whole different "vibe" creeping into the UO parks experience now. This really bums us out as we loved the "reprieve" UO offered as a vacation option.

& CONGRATS on 2 weeks to go!

We (hubby & I) agree entirely with this sentiment- seems UO is getting more & more "Disneyfied" as we call it & not in a positive way :sad2:.

Shoot, I mostly don't know what I want for dinner the morning of the same DAY, LOL & there's just a whole different "vibe" creeping into the UO parks experience now. This really bums us out as we loved the "reprieve" UO offered as a vacation option.

& CONGRATS on 2 weeks to go!

Thanks DG..... :cheer2:

Yes, we`ve been seeing for a while folks who have been used to Disney and their ways popping over to Universal and expecting the same and then booking restaurants months in advance, then others follow, so it ends up a similar mantra from now on!! Nope, won`t do it, we`ll eat more offsite if that`s the case. In saying that we made no reservations in December and it was fine.....but going forward who knows.

I`m with you.....I wake up in the morning and have no clue what we want to eat, I`ve been known to change our meal choice half way through the day.... ::yes:: So, booking even days/weeks in advance seems crazy to us too.

Hope you`re doing ok and having a lovely Easter Sunday :)

Hey I've been off the boards for a few weeks, but I can't believe how soon your next trip is!!

As of today, we still have to test before we fly to the United States, and it has to be the day before, so we`ll book an appointment later this week for just after we arrive up at the airport, yes, we still plan to do that, crazy as it might be. I`m a big believer in whatever will be will be.......

It's so hard to keep track of all the requirements these days - they seem to still keep changing. If we are vaxxed Canadians we can fly home without a test, but still like you, we need the antigen day before to fly TO the US. Which seems crazy because the US has SO many more cases than we do and has completely moved on from covid (in their minds anyway...)

I think everyone has been amazed last couple of years just how expensive rental cars have been, at one point we were being quoted over $4,000 for our shorter Christmas trips......crazy money

Rental car prices are totally out there these days. I was just considering a trip to FL for next year and already it seems to make more sense to drive and take my own car, even with hotel stays along the way, than it does to try to rent one for more than a week.

Making reservations in advance seems to be happening more and more.....but, not a chance will we think now where we want to eat in the next few weeks.....we won`t starve, that`s for sure.

Yeah...sigh. I think sadly, almost everywhere, not just theme parks and popular areas...are going more the way of needing a reservation to do almost anything.

Hey I've been off the boards for a few weeks, but I can't believe how soon your next trip is!!

It's so hard to keep track of all the requirements these days - they seem to still keep changing. If we are vaxxed Canadians we can fly home without a test, but still like you, we need the antigen day before to fly TO the US. Which seems crazy because the US has SO many more cases than we do and has completely moved on from covid (in their minds anyway...)

Rental car prices are totally out there these days. I was just considering a trip to FL for next year and already it seems to make more sense to drive and take my own car, even with hotel stays along the way, than it does to try to rent one for more than a week.

Yeah...sigh. I think sadly, almost everywhere, not just theme parks and popular areas...are going more the way of needing a reservation to do almost anything.

Nice to see you back Kathy......yep, it`s just crept up to be honest!

Oh it`s crazy how countries are so different. One of my friends kids is off to Australia in a couple of weeks and they were among the strictest ever, now they have relaxed rules and it`s an easy journey there. I hope the CDC change their stance soon and start to "follow the science" like everyone else is doing now.

That`s crazy it works out cheaper to do that.......we actually got another drop in our price tonight, still more than we have ever paid for a rental anywhere, but, we won`t be without a car.

That`s true. Although it seems to be the opposite over here. We don`t have to book anywhere, or at least can book last minute for where we want which suits us just fine.

Hope you`re doing good Kathy....... :wave2:

Hope you had a lovely Easter. Really not long to go now until your trip! So exciting! Crossing my fingers that the testing requirements are dropped so you won’t have that to worry about 🤞🤞🤞

I wish!!

Can`t see them dropping testing till they get rid of the mask mandate which has been extended till May 3rd, of course....we fly May 2nd......lol.....it`s getting closer now for sure, and I think I`ve just realised how close.....eeekk!!!! I think I need to get the tests booked this week, can`t put it off much longer.

Hope you had a lovely Easter too and hope you enjoyed some lovely weather most of us over here were enjoying, it can vary so much as you know. One of my friends lives about 20 minutes away and yesterday she didn`t see as much sunshine as we did......

Have a good Holiday Monday :)

It`s an Antigen test we need to take and results are emailed back to us within an hour, we`ll use the hotel business centre to print out (hopefully) the certificate that will enable us to fly the next day.
I think that was the most stressful thing about the pre-planning our trip. The whole trip hinges to that one test on whether we could go or not. We we ecstatic when we had the test results in our hands. We were soooooooooooooooooooo ready to get on the plane - only we had a 4 hr drive ahead then get onto the plane lol. But we were on our way. We were just ecstatic to finally be going on vacation!

And like the OP stated, it seems to be a mute point now. Hopefully soon

We were not even asked for the proof. I know that the pre-arrival info you fill out you are stating that you have a negative test result. Plus our airlines still require vaccination records. Dh did all the entering of all the info for our pre-flight requirements. That's a him job lol.

Almost into the single digit dance :cool1:

cv91-Th.jpg

Well......2 weeks until we leave for the overnight at the airport....but it still counts, doesn`t it?????

Our rental car booking for the first time is an ammendable rate, we have used a different way of booking for us and gone through a man who gives excellent rates from a UK site. Our original booking with him was for an SUV from Budget who we had never used before and were a little nervous as we always use Alamo, but for the prices other firms were asking for, some were over $3,000 we thought we`d give it a go. He is highly recommended and many folks have used him before and been happy with his prices and service.

But, on checking rates this week, Tom noticed they had dropped and Alamo were coming out cheaper by a few hundred pounds, almost $400 less, so we opted to change to the Alamo SUV. I think everyone has been amazed last couple of years just how expensive rental cars have been, at one point we were being quoted over $4,000 for our shorter Christmas trips......crazy money. But, we couldn`t imagine not having a car while we are in Orlando as we do like to roam around from one place to the other and most days we pop offsite somewhere even if it is just to the Mall at Millenia or Publix.

We might look to make a reservation for the Mother`s Day brunch at Sapphire as we absolutely loved it in 2019, we were so impressed with the quality of produce, so that might be the only reservation we make.

We always have offsite to enjoy ::yes::

I think this week, we`ll go get some dollars.....we always go through a lot of 5s and 1`s, usually for tips, so we make sure we have a good start when we arrive, I`d hate to not be able to tip someone straight away, not in our nature.

But, real life......it`s Easter Sunday.......I hope whatever you are doing today you have a wonderful day and a very Happy Easter to all........🐣
It absolutely counts! I admit I have some dining reservations for May. Just a couple, and I’m fully prepared to cancel and get others. I do miss being able to just walk up and eat…

I think with server shortages it’s just tougher eating out everywhere. It also feels like some tried and true places just aren’t quite what they once were. I’m not sure if that’s because Universal seems to be taking over the restaurants, or just another side effect of the pandemic.

I think that was the most stressful thing about the pre-planning our trip. The whole trip hinges to that one test on whether we could go or not. We we ecstatic when we had the test results in our hands. We were soooooooooooooooooooo ready to get on the plane - only we had a 4 hr drive ahead then get onto the plane lol. But we were on our way. We were just ecstatic to finally be going on vacation!

And like the OP stated, it seems to be a mute point now. Hopefully soon

We were not even asked for the proof. I know that the pre-arrival info you fill out you are stating that you have a negative test result. Plus our airlines still require vaccination records. Dh did all the entering of all the info for our pre-flight requirements. That's a him job lol.

Almost into the single digit dance :cool1:

It does take the shine off the excitement for sure leading up to the trip as knowing it could be pulled away at the very last minute is a massive worry.

We had to show everything before we got on the plane, they were exacting on checking every single detail which is good to see they check vaccination status and all correct forms are filled in correctly. That seems to my job lol......

Yep, getting closer!!

It absolutely counts! I admit I have some dining reservations for May. Just a couple, and I’m fully prepared to cancel and get others. I do miss being able to just walk up and eat…

I think with server shortages it’s just tougher eating out everywhere. It also feels like some tried and true places just aren’t quite what they once were. I’m not sure if that’s because Universal seems to be taking over the restaurants, or just another side effect of the pandemic.

Thanks Maria.....

I think if you want to eat somewhere now on most trips folks have to make them, it`s just so alien to us and I do have a rebel side if someone tells me I have to do something.....I`ll do the opposite.....lol.....but we have so many other options. I know many folks don`t rent a car or even want to go offsite on their trips.

We noticed a change in Margaritaville years back when Universal took that restaurant over and not for the better. The menu was reduced slightly and for a while, maybe 2 or 3 years we avoided it, but last couple of years it has been somewhere we do enjoy again. And they are looking to employ a whole bunch of people, so yes, staffing is definitely an issue.

We didn`t notice any poor service on our last trip certainly, maybe we were lucky, but will be interesting on this upcoming trip how we both fare with service......hopefully it`ll be excellent.......

Your countdown is getting lower too....... :cheer2:

Traffic can be rough especially around the Disney area at times. We have been known to add about 45 minutes to our journey depending on the time of day, but usually we`ve been lucky that it`s only happened once.
You’ve had great success on that road-trip. we’ve hit traffic delays enough times that we would never chance flying home from TPA for fear of getting stuck in traffic heading west on 1-4, from the southern most parts of WDW.

Even early on a Sunday morning, when driving down from orlando to cruise, we make sure to give ourselves at least 3 hours Jik an accident snarls the road. Not sure what it is, they seem to take an extraordinary amount of time to clear the roads In that section.

So, our little recap of Dunedin
beach bums we are, it’s never been on our radar. Does look charming.

seems every one of your TRs, I do pick up some great information:thumbsup2

You’ve had great success on that road-trip. we’ve hit traffic delays enough times that we would never chance flying home from TPA for fear of getting stuck in traffic heading west on 1-4, from the southern most parts of WDW.

Even early on a Sunday morning, when driving down from orlando to cruise, we make sure to give ourselves at least 3 hours Jik an accident snarls the road. Not sure what it is, they seem to take an extraordinary amount of time to clear the roads In that section.

beach bums we are, it’s never been on our radar. Does look charming.

seems every one of your TRs, I do pick up some great information:thumbsup2

I think you`re right. We hear so many that have been delayed much longer than we have, particularly some TM`s that live that way and talk of delays due to accidents or just traffic. If we can avoid peak times we think we`re doing ok, but of course it happens anytime.

It is a gorgeous place, you`d like it.....but yes, not a beach place lol......it`s handy for Clearwater Beach though, there`s a little boat that will take you along to the beach and come back for you for a very nominal cost.

Thanks.....glad to hear it....... ::yes::

cv12-S.jpg

Well, 10 more sleeps till we leave on the Sunday for our overnight.....but, it`s a cool part of any countdown!!!

This week has been a calm week with not much going on at all.....except the mask mandate has finally been removed which is a reason to celebrate. I understand it`s being appealed, but horses having bolted springs to mind. I`m sure many will be delighted to still have the choice to wear one if they want or need to. But for those of us who don`t, it`s a reason to celebrate for sure.

Testing to come into the USA is still in place for anyone returning to America, whether you are a visitor or a resident, hoping that disappears soon too, but as it`s still in place right now, yesterday we booked our tests for the afternoon of May 1st at the airport testing centre.

We booked for 1pm, and we get the results within the hour......that will be a nerve wracking time! Hoping it`s negative of course.

It`s a horrible thing to do to families and does seem to take the edge of the excitement for any upcoming trip. But, until it`s removed, we live with it. If testing was cancelled before that date, highly unlikely, we can get a refund if that was the case. It won`t change.

In other news....our rental car came down in price by just over £200 ($261) and then by £40 ($52). And the refunds are both in our account today. We`ve never rented a car where we have been able to adjust as the price comes down, and I think we`ll book this way again. We`re still with Alamo who we prefer and it`s an SUV which we do like, and absolutely 100% will not be upgrading unless it`s free for any car as prices are just off the scale. I know it`s a lot of nights and I shouldn`t complain, and I`m really not, but I know folks who are going for a week and are paying ridiculous prices for the rental.

We`ve been looking at places to visit, and as well as our usual haunts, looking at DeLand which is less than an hour`s drive from Universal.

One of the ladies in the Club Lounge first mentioned it to us and said she thought we`d like it considering the places we do like to go see.......so I think we`ll look to visit for maybe half a day and see what it`s like. We haven`t looked at restaurant options yet, which is usually our priority.......we don`t go anywhere until we have seen all restaurant options for the entire area.........

i-s9RRcFW-S.gif

If you know anything about DeLand, good or bad, would love to hear your views on whether it`s worth visiting or not.

So, that`s where we are about now......still thinking of booking the Mother`s Day Brunch, but just haven`t got around to it yet. We`ll do it sometime........ ::yes::

Hope everyone`s doing well and having a lovely day whatever you may be doing......... :wave2:

Great to hear you are finally eligible to take advantage of those price drops on the rental.

Keep that countdown going :)

It`s becoming addictive to check......lol......it`s so new to us, I`m like a kid with a new toy......can`t see it coming down much now, but so much better than what we were originally quoted which was eye watering!!!

Will do........ :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter