GAD upgrade question

Here's another stupid question- sorry if I don't explain it right.

We are a family of 6; my Dad is a FL. resident (we're bringing him with us).
We are all doing the GAD promo. So we were planning originally on getting 4 adult 8 day tix, 1 child 8 day tix, and then a FL resident AP because (gasp) we're staying offiste, and were planning on using that for parking, and getting a TIW card for the dining discounts.

Now, we're planning to use our GAD vouchers and upgrade to all of those. The stupid question part is, we're going to have to pay to park the first day and just eat the cost, right? Because we can't get the AP in advance and stil get the discount on the AP using the voucher to upgrade.

I know it's not that much money to park, but if there's a way around it, I could use that money on Mickey bars instead:goodvibes

Normally with the purchase of (or upgrade to) and Annual Pass or Premium Annual Pass if you turn in your parking receipt at the time of purchase you will receive a credit for the amount paid for parking.

Note that the purchase must be an AP or PAP. Florida Resident Seasonal Pass or Weekday Select Pass do not qualify for the free parking and so will not get a credit for the amount paid for parking.

Normally with the purchase of (or upgrade to) and Annual Pass or Premium Annual Pass if you turn in your parking receipt at the time of purchase you will receive a credit for the amount paid for parking.

Note that the purchase must be an AP or PAP. Florida Resident Seasonal Pass or Weekday Select Pass do not qualify for the free parking and so will not get a credit for the amount paid for parking.

Thanks CheshieFigment; we're going in June so we'd need to buy him the full resident AP. I really appreciate your response, we'll be sure to bring the parking receipt.

Wow! Major kudos to Cheshire Figment and Robo for so diligently answering these questions. :cheer2:

Tell me if I'm right here on the best cost savings for 4 days in the parks. I get a 1 day ticket with a package - I use my GAD to enter a park, upgrade it that day to a 4 day MYW ticket. Save the 1 day for later. Is this the most cost effiecent solution?

Let me throw something else into the mix. I have an old 1 day ticket (pre-MYW so I can park hop should I choose). Is it a better saving to use that ticket, use the GAD ticket and upgrade it to a 3 day MYW? Or do I hang onto this ticket another 13 years? :rotfl:

Thanks so the help!

Thanks for all the answers so far. Here's my situation. We already have 1-day park hopper tickets with our wdw package (staying on-site at a wdw resort). The question is how to use a GAD voucher. This is likely to be our only wdw visit for a very long time, so the choices about saving tickets for future use aren't going to work for us.

First, I understand that the fastpass GAD option would not be available because our package tickets are not "multi-day." That would have been our first choice.

If that's so, I think there are 3 things we could do:

1) First, upgrade existing 1-day PH's to 2-days (using money); then it should be possible to get the fastpass option with the GAD voucher because we'll be holding multi-days. We were already on the fence about adding a second day (our arrival day).

If we did that, could we use the GAD fastpass on the second (last) day of 2-day MYW tickets? That is, would our tickets still be considered "multi-day" when there's just one day remaining? I would also be interested to know whether the GAD fastpass for a given park, once obtained, could be used later on in the day at that park (after leaving and returning), even after ordinary fastpasses would be gone for the rides in question.

2) Treat the GAD as a totally separate single-park entry ticket to use on the arrival day, then use the MYW PH package ticket on day 2. Here are my questions about that: Would I be able to use/show the resort key to park for free on that first (GAD) day without accidentally deducting the MYW PH ticket that will be stored thereon? Similarly, would I be able to get into EMH's to use the GAD ticket, or would that require a scan of the resort key that would cause it to automatically deduct the MYW PH ticket?

As these questions may suggest, I have not been to WDW since the 1980s, so I am unsure how the technology works.

3) The third choice would be to donate the GAD ticket, which should be simple.

Thanks in advance for any help! I also apologize for mixing together fastpass and other GAD questions, if this isn't the right thread for that (this is my first time posting on here).

Wow! Major kudos to Cheshire Figment and Robo for so diligently answering these questions. :cheer2:

sniff... ;)

Tell me if I'm right here on the best cost savings for 4 days in the parks. I get a 1 day ticket with a package - I use my GAD to enter a park, upgrade it that day to a 4 day MYW ticket. Save the 1 day for later. Is this the most cost effiecent solution?

It's the only way to get monetary value for the GAD voucher, which you HAVE to use or lose it after Dec. 15th. The 1-day is good forever. Assuming you can make use of the 1-day in the future that is...if you are never planning on visiting again, that's different :)

Let me throw something else into the mix. I have an old 1 day ticket (pre-MYW so I can park hop should I choose). Is it a better saving to use that ticket, use the GAD ticket and upgrade it to a 3 day MYW? Or do I hang onto this ticket another 13 years? :rotfl:

You can't upgrade the old ticket in any way. You could trade it in for purchase value, but you'd have to pay MORE. It's best value is to be used for the admission. However, when used in conjunction with another ticket, its "value" only becomes that of an extra day on the total. The difference between a 3-day ticket and a 4-day ticket is $6+tax, so that is all you really save vs. upgrading the GAD ticket to 4 days.

Thanks for all the answers so far. Here's my situation. We already have 1-day park hopper tickets with our wdw package (staying on-site at a wdw resort). The question is how to use a GAD voucher. This is likely to be our only wdw visit for a very long time, so the choices about saving tickets for future use aren't going to work for us.

First, I understand that the fastpass GAD option would not be available because our package tickets are not "multi-day." That would have been our first choice.

If that's so, I think there are 3 things we could do:

If I understand correctly, you re only going for 2 days total...

1) First, upgrade existing 1-day PH's to 2-days (using money); then it should be possible to get the fastpass option with the GAD voucher because we'll be holding multi-days. We were already on the fence about adding a second day (our arrival day).

Correct. This would cost you $77+tax though, just to get what is a limited Fastpass option.[/quote]

If we did that, could we use the GAD fastpass on the second (last) day of 2-day MYW tickets? That is, would our tickets still be considered "multi-day" when there's just one day remaining?

Yes...disney won't force you to "lose" a day on your tickets. The reason they require they be multi-day is that a 1-day ticket can never expire if not used, so you don't "lose" it - and it makes you come back again :)

I would also be interested to know whether the GAD fastpass for a given park, once obtained, could be used later on in the day at that park (after leaving and returning), even after ordinary fastpasses would be gone for the rides in question.

Assuming they didn't change anything with respect to how the Birthday FPs worked, yes. They are good for the rest of the day until at least the regular park close time. I've heard that at TSM you may have to beg to get access to the kiosk, however - they've closed them all at times.

2) Treat the GAD as a totally separate single-park entry ticket to use on the arrival day, then use the MYW PH package ticket on day 2. Here are my questions about that: Would I be able to use/show the resort key to park for free on that first (GAD) day without accidentally deducting the MYW PH ticket that will be stored thereon? Similarly, would I be able to get into EMH's to use the GAD ticket, or would that require a scan of the resort key that would cause it to automatically deduct the MYW PH ticket?

Free parking is based on the sheet of the paper they give you to put on your dashboard, which you get at check-in. If you have your Key To The World card, you should already have the parking pass. You don't give them your KTTW card for parking.

For EMH, you use whichever ticket you want to use, you only need to SHOW them your KTTW card to show you are a resort guest.

Thank you doconeill for your excellent answers to my questions! Now another idea has occurred to me on how to use the GAD, given an existing one-day ticket as part of a package. My situation again is that I'm going to wdw for just 2 days and am uncertain if there will be time to get out to the parks on the first of those days (our arrival day). It's just me and my husband, and I'll be the only one with a GAD voucher.

Right now our one-day package tickets have the parkhopping feature. But suppose we "unhopped" them -- I believe this change is still possible because we are more the 45 days out. This would save around $104, I think ($52 X 2).

My question is whether we could then do the following on a single day: use our package tickets (nonhopping) to go to Park #1 (say, AK). Then use the GAD (plus a new single park admission ticket for my husband, around $80) to do a separate single admission on that same day at another park (say, Epcot). Or vice versa. I am well aware from the various ticket FAQs that it is not possible to enter two parks in the same day using a multi-day pass. But is it possible to use two totally separate entry tickets to enter two different parks on the same day? My instinct is "yes" but with all the fingerprint recognition and such, perhaps there is a ban on doing this.

Admittedly, the money savings are small for us under that scenario, but we would still have flexibility to use the GAD instead in the other ways already discussed if we did arrive early enough to make use of 2 days in the parks. I also thought it might be valuable for others holding existing tickets if this were possible. For example, if an entire family or group were holding nonhopping tickets and everyone had GADs as well, that would let everyone go to a second park on one day (something that would normally require adding the PH feature for $52 a person). It's not quite the value you can get from the GAD under ideal circumstances, but some might prefer it to the fastpass or earhat if they already have their tickets.

Thanks again for all the help on these questions!

To follow up on my post above: I just realized that if the GAD does work for a second park entry on the same day, people in the group without GADs (such as my husband) could just add the park hopping option to an existing ticket (for $52) rather than pay for a whole new single-entry ticket. Or at least that's my understanding.

Thanks again to all who are reading and answering!

Thank you doconeill for your excellent answers to my questions! Now another idea has occurred to me on how to use the GAD, given an existing one-day ticket as part of a package. My situation again is that I'm going to wdw for just 2 days and am uncertain if there will be time to get out to the parks on the first of those days (our arrival day). It's just me and my husband, and I'll be the only one with a GAD voucher.

Right now our one-day package tickets have the parkhopping feature. But suppose we "unhopped" them -- I believe this change is still possible because we are more the 45 days out. This would save around $104, I think ($52 X 2).
My question is ... why did you book a package as opposed to a room-only reservation?

Or rather, unless there's some other reason that I don't know about, I think you should consider canceling your package and instead booking a room-only reservation. That will save you about $80 each ... you won't need to buy a 1-day ticket from Disney, and instead can just use the free GAD ticket. And if you really want to, you can upgrade the free GAD ticket for $52 to a park hopper, so you can go to 2 parks on that one day.

I hope I'm getting my point across here, and I apologize if I'm not. Booking your very short stay as a room-only (as opposed to a package) will save you money inthat you won't need to purchase a 1-day ticket as part of a package. You'll already have your 1-day ticket through the GAD promo.

Thoughts?

Yes, you could use the GAD voucher to get a second 1-day ticket at a different park. Value wise you are losing some since adding PH to an existing ticket is only $52+tax, vs. the value of a 1-day ticket of $79+tax. But then again if you are not going to use the GAD voucher otherwise, you are at least getting some value out of it.

But I do agree with CleveRocks that to get the maximum value of the GAD voucher you should book room-only and use the GAD voucher for the 1-day ticket. You aren't really receiving any savings on that 1-day by having it in the package.

My question is ... why did you book a package as opposed to a room-only reservation?

Originally, it was just ignorance, but now (after many changes I won't bore you with to get various discounts) I have an AAA package I'm happy with that offers special parking (I know parking is already free with the resort stay but apparently they have some area that is closer). I will look into the total rebook and I do understand your point about the cost advantage but I think there are some disadvantages too (some of these I'm not sure about and need to check): I think I lose the AAA parking; I might have to pay a fee to AAA for a total rebook; I'd have to spend time switching over some existing reservations to a new reservation number; on arrival, we wouldn't have tickets waiting for us and might have to stand in long lines to get in initially, as opposed to being able to go right in and deal with ticket issues later (this is during a busy mid-March period), and the cancellation policy is somewhat less favorable for us (we'd potentially lose a full night's stay, which is more than the $200 we could lose on the package if we had to cancel).

Note that I'm the only one with a GAD, so the marginal savings (over the approach above) would be $80 minus $52, or about $28.

I read thru this thread & CF's sticky, but I didn't find this exact scenario:

Can I "stack" tickets for an AP upgrade?

I was planning to purchase online 5 day no exp. passes. And we are scheduled for a Give Day next week.

We go to WDW in Nov. I wanted to upgrade our 5 day passes to APs then. Can we use our 1 day pass & then "stack" the 2 for a (DVC) AP upgrade?

Another question, if you don't mind.... can a FL resident upgrade a GAD ticket for a 1 day ticket w/hopping for the discounted hopping price (26 instead of 52 is (I think) what I saw)?? That would be great for my brother's family! And if so, would that be done all at once when redeeming the voucher to get the ticket? Thanks!

I read thru this thread & CF's sticky, but I didn't find this exact scenario:

Can I "stack" tickets for an AP upgrade?

I was planning to purchase online 5 day no exp. passes. And we are scheduled for a Give Day next week.

We go to WDW in Nov. I wanted to upgrade our 5 day passes to APs then. Can we use our 1 day pass & then "stack" the 2 for a (DVC) AP upgrade?

No, you cannot combine tickets at all. Per CF's sticky thread, an upgrade is taking one ticket, plus cash, and getting a new ticket.

Another question, if you don't mind.... can a FL resident upgrade a GAD ticket for a 1 day ticket w/hopping for the discounted hopping price (26 instead of 52 is (I think) what I saw)?? That would be great for my brother's family! And if so, would that be done all at once when redeeming the voucher to get the ticket? Thanks!

I believe the answer is yes, but you can only do it if you are not on a blockout date for the Dream Pass.

Question:

Where is the blackout days list? Is there a sticky for the GAD info?

DD and I will have GAD vouchers. We are AP holders. Our AP expiration date is 3/23/10. We will be at WDW 3/19-26/10. On 3/23 (or before) we redeem our vouchers for one day passes, go into the park on the one day tickets, and then go to Guest Services to use the one day tickets for our AP renewals?

So the Adult AP renewal rate is $449 less the one day of $79 = $370 + tax per adult and $397 less the one day of $68 = $329 + tax per child?

Am I calculating that right?

Thanks!

Question:

Where is the blackout days list? Is there a sticky for the GAD info?

DD and I will have GAD vouchers. We are AP holders. Our AP expiration date is 3/23/10. We will be at WDW 3/19-26/10. On 3/23 (or before) we redeem our vouchers for one day passes, go into the park on the one day tickets, and then go to Guest Services to use the one day tickets for our AP renewals?

So the Adult AP renewal rate is $449 less the one day of $79 = $370 + tax per adult and $397 less the one day of $68 = $329 + tax per child?

Am I calculating that right?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe you have all that correct.

Post 16 of the Everything About WDW Tickets sticky has all the info.

I will be using our GAD tickets at AK. If I decide to upgrade the GAD ticket to a 2 day ticket do I have do it on the same day that I use our GAD tickets at AK? Or can I upgrade our by then used GAD tickets a day or two later at the disney resort we are staying at?

Thank you

I will be using our GAD tickets at AK. If I decide to upgrade the GAD ticket to a 2 day ticket do I have do it on the same day that I use our GAD tickets at AK? Or can I upgrade our by then used GAD tickets a day or two later at the disney resort we are staying at?

Thank you

You can upgrade anytime within 14 days of first use.

Yes, yet one more question to add in the mix.

We are DVC members. We have GADGAD vouchers, and are contemplating purchasing APs during our trip in March. Will we be able to redeem our vouchers for 1 day tickets and then upgrade to APs and pay the DVC member rate? Will we be able to use both discounts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter