"garden view at poly"

Rozzie

DIS Cast Member
after reading some posts a question popped in my mind, I was told by CM that all garden views at poly have balcony or patio. is this true? I asked to have balcony or patio and they said "not necessary since all garden views have these"

did i get correct information? should I call again and request right before trip when i confirm, thanks, just trying to make this a special trip for DH.....:)

we were on the third floor and we had a balcony and the first level had a patio but i don't think that the 2nd level had either.

I believe only the 3 newest longhouses at the Polynesian (Tahiti, Rapa Nui and Tokelau) have balconies on the 2nd floor. The others do not...so you were definitely misinformed by the CM.

We requested the same thing - balcony or patio - and also were told that every room at the Poly had one or the other. NOT! I insisted that the request be put on our reservation anyway, and we got a patio, no problem. I'm starting to wonder if the info just isn't readily available for CM booking rooms.....

Originally posted by PlutoPony
We requested the same thing - balcony or patio - and also were told that every room at the Poly had one or the other. NOT! I insisted that the request be put on our reservation anyway, and we got a patio, no problem. I'm starting to wonder if the info just isn't readily available for CM booking rooms.....

It probably isn't.

Any specific information that the Disney Reservation Center agents have about the resorts themselves is probably their own knowledge, which could be incorrect. They really only need to know the booking/cancellation/ticketing policies.

Originally posted by SnackyStacky
It probably isn't.

.... They really only need to know the booking/cancellation/ticketing policies.

Guess it depends on whether the CM's are acting simply as "order takers" or clerks (in which case they don't need much in the way of specific resort info) or if they're acting as mini WDW travel agents to help set guests' expectations and make good decisions about their vacations. It seems like lots of the unhappy posts about WDW resort experiences have to do with a lack of prior information, or unreasonable/unrealistic expectations. I'd think a little training and info on the front end of a vacation could really improve guest experiences.

Just MHO....

As others have said that was incorrect information. Did you call the Polynesian direct or were you speaking to someone in the WDW travel/ CRO or what ever they call it now?

Originally posted by SnackyStacky
It probably isn't.

Any specific information that the Disney Reservation Center agents have about the resorts themselves is probably their own knowledge, which could be incorrect. They really only need to know the booking/cancellation/ticketing policies.

I respectfully disagree. Disney encourages people to note their room requests on their reservations. As a matter of fact, I read that pretty soon that you will not be able to fax room requests at all. So you can see how important it is for CMs in CRO to have just basic accurate resort info. I mean they don't have to know the name of every longhouse but they should know that not every room has a balcony or patio. And there is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know but I can find that out for you" instead of guessing.

Originally posted by treehugger
I respectfully disagree. Disney encourages people to note their room requests on their reservations. As a matter of fact, I read that pretty soon that you will not be able to fax room requests at all.

I was not saying that people shouldn't make requests on their reservations. I was saying that when you make those requests, the DRC agent will (or at the very least, should) note the request on your reservation. It doesn't mean that they know what it means.

In actuality, there's two different call centers - one of which is in Tampa. And during the hurricanes, the calls were sent to a center in Texas. Those folks aren't going to have ANY clue about the resorts (unless they are Disney vacationers themselves). They will tap into the Disney reservations system, make your reservation, and note your requests as you say them.

Originally posted by treehugger
So you can see how important it is for CMs in CRO to have just basic accurate resort info. I mean they don't have to know the name of every longhouse but they should know that not every room has a balcony or patio. And there is nothing wrong with saying "I don't know but I can find that out for you" instead of guessing.

That is exactly the type of information that the DRC agents don't have. And you're absolutely right - they shouldn't guess or give incorrect information. They should ask you to call the resort directly to ask any of those very specific type questions.

:confused: just called again the reservation center and the CM was pretty short with me for asking about the balcony or patio. Again, (mind you diff. CM) he said all garden views have balcony or patio. When I asked very nice and sweet if he could still just "note it so I can sleep better" he asked "why, since I told you it was included?"" I guess he was having a hard day. I have worked the service industry before, but it still took be back a little. I am going to call Poly direct now.....

Originally posted by Rozzie
:confused: just called again the reservation center and the CM was pretty short with me for asking about the balcony or patio. Again, (mind you diff. CM) he said all garden views have balcony or patio. When I asked very nice and sweet if he could still just "note it so I can sleep better" he asked "why, since I told you it was included?"" I guess he was having a hard day. I have worked the service industry before, but it still took be back a little. I am going to call Poly direct now.....

Oy. :rolleyes:

The Polynesian's gonna tell you that you're right! The very unfortunate thing about that is there's not a DARN thing they can do to your reservation! :( The resorts don't download reservations until 5 days prior to arrival, so your reservation is still sitting with DRC, and only they can make that notation.

So be prepared to have to call DRC back. But this time you'll be able to say "I called the Polynesian front desk, and was told that you're WRONG, buddy!" ;)

Just send the guy a link to my web page and he can learn something about the resort.

Here is what a friend of mine at the Polynesian said about view information and noting it on the reservation.

"I'm sorry the guest had a difficult time with CRO. They can call the resort directly at 407-824-3955 and speak with someone at the Front Desk if they need to. They would be able to re-verify the room category and make sure the room request is on file where we can see it when the reservation downloads to us about 10 days prior to his arrival. They will do their best to fulfill it,(room requests noted but not guaranteed)."

Aloha

Steve

Tikiman's 'da man! :)

(Thanks for all your advice btw! We had a fantastic time, and enjoyed the Poly immensely! :) )

I just spoke with a wonderful CM at the front desk at Poly, and she was shocked to learn DRC was handing out wrong information. She told me to call back, and make them put it on. She said of course, not all garden views have balcony's or patios. I called DRC back, and got a much more polite CM, explained that I talked with poly directly, and he said it best "what do you mean not all rooms at poly have balcony or patios?" he seemed sincerely surprised....he noted my reservation and apolgized for the former CM.

Boy, to think the main reason I upgraded from a moderate was to surprise my DH with a balcony or patio, and to think I could have gone in there to check in with the wrong info.
I know my request is not guaranteed, and I won't be upset if I don't get it.....however.... I would have been very upset at myself for not researching for correct info.

Big thanks to all of you at DIS for your help! Great website Tikiman!:D

Rozzie - glad you got this straightened out, but sorry it took so much time and effort on your part. The CM's are only as good as the information they're given to work with and CLEARLY this is an area that WDW falls short.....given how well Disney does other things, it's pretty shocking that they seem to be so weak in resort specifics for the CM's actually working with customers! I mean, knowing availability of balconies/patios is pretty basic... Hope this is one thread that someone from WDW resort management reads...

Hope you have a good time!!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter