Gas- $3.99 a gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is an electrical engineer and has been saying this for years. In fact the electricity generated to provide for electrical cars is far more poluting than combustion engines.
That’s not really a true statement, as the energy mix is different around the country and around the world. Some areas have larger proportions of energy generated by renewables or nuclear power, which are emission free.

And regardless of how the electricity is generated, it is easier to capture emissions and pollutants at a power plant than it is to capture them from hundreds of thousands of tailpipes.

News this morning said home heating oil could be $5 a gallon this winter. I feel so sorry for young families just starting out today especially when it’s so unnecessary.
I believe it. I have been watching it for several weeks now and it has not dropped at all. It is 4.33 a gallon here in Massachusetts and hasn’t budged in weeks even with gas prices dropping a bit. Very very frustrating and going to be a big hardship for so many this winter.

For anyone interested, I use new England oil.com to check prices.

I believe it. I have been watching it for several weeks now and it has not dropped at all. It is 4.33 a gallon here in Massachusetts and hasn’t budged in weeks even with gas prices dropping a bit. Very very frustrating and going to be a big hardship for so many this winter.

For anyone interested, I use new England oil.com to check prices.
I went back to look at a prior thread from May about oil prices. I paid $5.49 a gallon in Boston at the beginning of May. When the thread started, on May 12th I reported oil from the company I use had increased to $6.51. I haven't checked what prices are since it's been summer, if it is now $4.33, it's still way more than what I paid a year ago, but not as high as May. I, too, worry about the elderly this winter. In 2020 I was paying around $2.59 a gallon. I'll have to check out New England Oil.com. Gas prices have gone down from the highest point of over $5, but it's not the $2.11 I was paying.

That’s not really a true statement, as the energy mix is different around the country and around the world. Some areas have larger proportions of energy generated by renewables or nuclear power, which are emission free.

And regardless of how the electricity is generated, it is easier to capture emissions and pollutants at a power plant than it is to capture them from hundreds of thousands of tailpipes.
But the green deal people don’t want nuclear power or natural gas either, both which are very clean energy sources.
And this crowd seems to ignore the environmental concerns of car battery production. Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina, contain more than half of the world’s supply of lithium. The region is also very dry. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, lithium mining consumes 65% of the region’s water. The problem is so bad that farmers and other people in the local communities have to get water elsewhere.
In addition to using a great deal of water, lithium mining causes water, soil, and air pollution. Toxic chemicals like hydrochloric acid used in the mining process can leak from evaporation pools and contaminate the surrounding area.
Another problem regarding lithium-ion EV car batteries is the high amount of lithium-ion waste. For example, in Australia, “only two percent of the country’s 3,300 metric tons” of lithium-ion batteries get recycled. The lithium-ion waste typically ends up in landfills, where it can potentially leak into the environment.

A lot of people don’t understand supply and demand. As the price of gas went up, people curtailed a lot of their vacations and travel because many can’t afford the increase in cost. In August, demand dropped from 9.25 million barrels a day to 8.54 million barrels a day. So the problem hasn’t been solved, people just have cut out something they enjoy to balance their budgets. And as a result then tourist destinations, restaurants, theme parks etc make less money when travel is down.

We paid $3.47 yesterday for regular here in central NJ. DH & I think the prices will stay down until November and then go back up; I sure hope we are wrong.

We paid $3.47 yesterday for regular here in central NJ. DH & I think the prices will stay down until November and then go back up; I sure hope we are wrong.

No prices will stay down as long as people drive less so there is more oil produced than consumed.

No prices will stay down as long as people drive less so there is more oil produced than consumed.
Eventually they will run out of oil from the strategic reserve to dump on the market and have to start purchasing more to replenish what was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter