Gatwick Hilton - no family rooms available

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
I have just booked two twin rooms for Christmas Day at the Gatwick Hilton as I couldn't get a family room through Holiday Extras or Virgin Holidays - they are all booked.

Has anyone stayed in two separate rooms, and did you have a connection door? Just wondering what other folk's experiences were and how the twin rooms are for size, as I believe the family rooms are very large.

The two rooms cost a total of £172 through Holidays Extras (no parking), don't know how that compares with a Family Room as their website didn't show up the price as they were all booked up. We had originally booked the Travel Inn but with my foot still being a pain (literally!) thought the Hilton would make things a lot easier for me as I believe it is right near the South Terminal.

I believe you can pick up a voucher from reception which lets Holiday Extras customers get full breakfast for £7.50. Does anyone know if it's the same price for children? And if the breakfast is worth the money or is it better to eat in the airport?

:p Hi Mazzy - if the price you've been quoted of £172 for 2 rooms includes car parking, that's a CRACKING price. We've paid almost that for just one in October for 18 days:o

Can't answer about the brekkie voucher, but we've used the GH the last three years. It's just SO convenient - you literally walk from the rear of the hotel through a covered car park (don't worry, plenty of signs and proper pathway, don't have to dodge the cars). There is a sloping ramp as you leave/enter the GH, then three mins or so later you are in South Terminal, magic:D .

The twin rooms are sufficient - we have a twin with rollaway bed for Katie and it's plenty ok for an overnight stay.

Other than convenience, another 'treat' (cos I'm a real saddo;) :rolleyes: ) is on their TV you can track arrivals/departures so in the morning you can check the inbound flight to see if it was on time:)

Annie x

Hi Annie :wave:

Thanks for the info on the hotel, so you actually walk outside? I was under the impression it was a kind of 'indoor covered tunnel' kind of thing, if you know what I mean! Obviously my imagination ran away with me!

So how did you get your luggage from the hotel to the checkin, do they have trolleys in the hotel that you can use?

BTW, there is no parking included in that price, but it is still a lot cheaper than booking direct with the Hilton.

The walkway from the Hilton to the terminal is a covered pedestrian bridge that goes over the road and railway line between the hotel and the terminal building. So technically it is 'outside' :)

Thanks Tim

So you don't walk through the car park? Your description is more what I had imagined, are there steps up the bridge? And did you get a trolley from the hotel to put your luggage on? Sorry for all the questions, it's just when you have a dodgy foot you need to know what you are walking into (literally!) ;)

there are no steps mazzy from what i can remember

you walk down a covered walkway from the hotel down the side of the short term carpark........

then at the bottom you walk along the car park just like you would do if you'd parked your car there

you can then take the lift down to access the terminal building

Hi Mazzy - I dont recall any steps. I think the walkway is on the same level as the Lobby/Reception of the Hilton.

We got to the lobby and then Chris went and came back with a trolley - I think he found it just at the beginning of the walkway - I am almost sure I remember seeing some there for you to use.

The walkway is to the back of reception in the hotel (I think there is like a business centre there). The walkway is sloping but there are no steps. There were plenty of airport trolleys at the hotel end of the walkway last October.

We didn't walk through the carpark at all. The walkway just went into the terminal building and you went down a ramp then onto a longer walkway with moving floors to the terminal building. As you enter the terminal the Virgin desk on are on left.

Hi Maz - sorry, didn't experlain myself clearly! No steps - people are constantly back and forwards with their cases (a lot of airline crew/pilots stay here - just love the AA and UA pilots when they check in, soooo courteous:D .

It really is very easy, it really starts the holiday off well - you should not have any problems at all:D

Thanks eveyrone for your replies - it seems there are two different ways to get to the terminal, through the carpark or over the bridge from what you have all told me - I will try and find the bridge! :p

Glad to hear there are plenty of trolleys around, and I've just ring Holiday Extras and they have put a request in for connecting rooms, so we should be fine. Christmas Day is going to be quite weird this year, but I'm sure the Hilton will be more 'Christmassy' than the Travel Inn! :D

Thanks again everyone for your help D:

sorry if i added to your confusion mazzy :D

so you'll be having christmas lunch in the hilton then ???

Just booked my room at the Gatwick Hilton for next August :)

£165 for a family room and 15 days parking :)

Hi Neil :wave:

I think this year Xmas Lunch will be sandwiches in the car! LOL!!!

Once the children have opened their presents Xmas morning, we will leave around midday and the journey should take about 4 hours plus stops so it will make a change to our usual routine of me slaving away in the kitchen, then everyone so stuffed with food all they feel capable of is collapsing in front of the TV!

I am hoping and praying that the Virgin Twilight Checkin will still be operating and then on Boxing Day we can have a nice relaxing start, nice breakfast and stroll over to the terminal at 11.30 ready for our 12.30 flight. :D

Hi Tim - just missed you - we must have posted at the same time! ;)

I don't blame you for booking early, those family rooms are like Gold Dust aren't they? Was that price with Holiday Extras? That's a great price to include parking, as my price of £172 doesn't include any parking, but I guess for two rooms I am going to be paying more than a Family Room.

I must admit I'm quite looking forward to having a separate room for the children, that is, if we manage to get connecting rooms, if not the girls and boys will have to bunk up!! LOL!!

Thanks for the link Neil :D

I thought about asking, but you know what Virgin are like, you never get the same answer twice do you?!

As their flights run every day of the year, including Xmas Day, I see no reason why it shouldn't be open, but who knows?

I think I will leave it nearer the time to contact them, but even then, I will still try to be 'open-minded' about it, as there is always the possibility that they may change their minds!

And yes, as you've probably guessed, I AM a Pessimist! ;)

Originally posted by Mazzy
Thanks for the link Neil :D

I thought about asking, but you know what Virgin are like, you never get the same answer twice do you?!

As their flights run every day of the year, including Xmas Day, I see no reason why it shouldn't be open, but who knows?

I think I will leave it nearer the time to contact them, but even then, I will still try to be 'open-minded' about it, as there is always the possibility that they may change their minds!

And yes, as you've probably guessed, I AM a Pessimist! ;)

couldn't agree more :rolleyes:

Hi Mazzy,

Yes, I booked through Holiday Extras - although the first time I booked I cocked up the dates and booked the night of our departure day rather than the night before :rolleyes:

A quick call to Holiday Extras sorted it though :cool:

LOL Neil!!! No argument there then! I'm sure there are plenty more folk who think along the same lines regarding Virgin - even the Optimists amongst us!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter