Gatwick

Craig Adams

Earning My Ears
Hi all
My brother and family have just returned from FL and they flew out from Gatwick as we are next November as Virgin don't fly from Manchester in November, they thought it was a complete nightmare is this the case or did they jsut have a bad day.
We live between Nottingham and Sheffield so I know its a bit of a bind flying from here but we liked the Virgin flight.
My sister-in-law also said that the check-in procedure is really bad I havn't spoken to anyone yet who has been from this airport and love some more info.
many thanks
:confused:

Sorry but we also had a nightmare trip home from Gatwick last November :( The problem was the sheer volume of traffic on the motorway and it took us over 6 hours from landing to getting home. We're based nr Lichfield, Staffs. My husband said never again so this November we're having to book indirect flights from Manchester.

Maybe we were just unlucky too... ? Sorry!!

Lisa

Gatwick was a nightmare when we flew in December. When we arrived at check-in we were sent away and asked to come back later (because we were on the later flight). When we got back, the hall was literally half full of Virgin passengers trying to check-in.

My advice would be to arrive very early - as soon as the desks open and get yourselves checked-in. You can then just go off and relax around the airport. I would consider staying overnight at the Gatwick Hilton. There's a covered walkway which links the hotel to the South Terminal. You can then either use Twilight Check-in if it's operational when you go, or simply walk over very early in the morning, check-in and then go back to the hotel for breakfast.

We flew from Gatwick in October last year and travelled down from Leicestershire the afternoon before our flight (Friday afternoon). The journey down was OK until we hit the M25 and then it was snails pace all the way to Gatwick. We stayed over night at the Hilton with a deal that included 15 days parking.

We got to the Virgin checkin desks quite early and we still had a 30 minute queue!
There was also a big queue to go through to the departure lounge with all the extra security and bag checking.

I would try and take advantage of the twilight checkin if I was you and travel down the evening before your flight. There are plenty of good value hotels near to the airport.

We have flown from Gatwick with Virgin 11 times and never had a problem, although we do fly down the night before and stay in an on site hotel.

Ther check in queues seem gigantic but these are the queues for all Virgins Gatwick flights and they do move......eventually;)

David:D

Only 3 weeks to go :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I remember the queues for Virgin Economy check-in last July at Gatwcik - OUCH!

I think the problem is that Virgin has a lot of flights (Orlando, Miami and a couple of flights to different Caribbean islands) all leaving within about an hour. So you probably have about 1200 economy passengers all wanting to be checked in at about the same time.

Staying over night and checking in early is good. Just grin and bear it and think about the fantastic holiday you will have when you eventually get there :-)

Boo

The Virgin queues always look intimidating at Gatwick, but I've always found that they move pretty fast...unlike the queue I was once caught in at MCO...long AND slow - and that was when there was still DD checkin!

Penny :D

does anyone know what time the virgin desks open to check in on a saturday morning??

we are on the 21 sep 11.15am flight and are staying overnight in a hotel nearby but there's 10 people flying but we will all be arriving at different times so twilight checkin might not be possible as all passengers need to check in just the same as the morning of the flight.

we had planned to arrive as soon as they opened and then go off and have breakfast somewhere.

i had a meeting last year at the gatwick hilton and had to arrive early to try to avoid major traffic on the M25 - i decided to wander into the terminal for breakfast to kill some time and had a look at the virgin check in - it was complete chaos, approx 500 people "snaked" round the hall - and it was only 8.15am !

neil

We will be staying at the Gatwick Travel Inn the evening prior to our 11:15 flight. I think we will arrive too late to use Twilight Check-in. Has anyone ever used this accomodation prior to their flight. And would you recommend breakfast at the Travel Inn or at the airport - considering value for money and also convenience. We are travelling with 2 children aged 9 and 6.

TYIA

Don't know about the hotel which you are staying at, but there is quite a bit of choice at the airport: McDonalds (tends to appeal to children), Garfunkels, Little Chef etc. (the former two both have outlets before and after you go through security, the latter only has one the check-in side of security).

Hope this helps (if I was you, I would probably eat at the airport - unless the Travel Inn have a particularly good deal - hotels tend to be poor quality and over-priced...)

Boo

I always fly from Gatwick and, yes, sometimes the queues are horrendous, but even though they look mind-bogglingly (is that a word?!) long they do move at a reasonable pace.

As Deb and Tim suggested, I'd seriously consider spending the night beforehand down here. Apart from anything else that means you'll be able to take advantage of the Twilight check-in. The Gatwick Hilton is incredibly convenient and I'd definately stay there again. It means you can have a more leisurely journey to the airport and not worry about the M25 traffic. I only live under 1 and half hours from Gatwick but still considered the money it cost to stay overnight well spent.

Elaine - There are loads of places to eat breakfast at Gatwick both before and after security/passport control. I believe Garfunkels does a good breakfast and there's quite a big food-court type place upstairs in departures where amongst other things they have a McDonalds. I travelled with my two at exactly the same as yours in March and it helped to while away some of the time having something to eat after we'd checked in.

If you decide to go to the departure gate, which is a short train ride away on a satellite area there are also shops and a couple of eating places there.

HTH

Astrid x

We are staying the night before in the Le Meriden. It worked out quite a bit cheaper than the Hilton. Also we are taking a room for the day on the return. Just to nap and shower etc. That way we avoid the dreaded journey home all tired.

To be honest, we found Gatwick and the M25 so horrendous the last few times that we now prefer to fly indirect from Heathrow. Espacially terminal 4 which is often almost deserted!;)

We flew down from Manchester to Gatwick on a BA domestic flight last March. BA at Manchester also checked us in for the Virgin flight. So when to got to Gatwick we did not have to check in again. We were directed to a small Virgin desk to reconfirm our details and that was it. Very simple. But I don't know what the situation is now after Sept 11!! :rolleyes:

Here we are still in Gatwick Departures lounge. Well, the trip down yesterday was horrible. The whole trip from Aberdeen to Gatwick took 17hrs. We ground to a halt at Manchester on the M6 and never really got going again. Perhaps it was my fault for travelling on a Friday :(
We stopped overnight at a local motel, got up nice and early this morning. Arrived at 8am and checked in with BA, took about 20 mins to queue, but looking at the length of the queue when we left, we were glad we arrived early.
Will we repeat the exercise? Well not unless we get connecting flights down to Gatwick from Aberdeen.

Time to get ready for boading, be good while we are away.;)

Morven, what a nightmare! Oh well, it's over now - hope you have a great trip!

Elaine - I have used the Travel Inn.

It is basically the same as all Travel Inn's, clean and decent rooms, but not much in the way of facilities. The restaurant was decent enough, if a little small for the number of people trying to use it.

We did not have breakfast, so I'm not sure what it's like for that.

Also look out for the shuttle bus to the airport. You have to pay to use it. I think it was a couple of quid each.

Kev

Thanks for the replies. I have just thought of something else someone will possibly be able to help with. As I said we will be staying at the Gatwick Travel Inn the night prior to departure, from the replies I think I would like to check in and have breakfast in the airport. My query now is - we have arranged to keep our car at the airport car park. What would our best plan of action be for leaving the Travel Inn and getting to the airport via the car park for check in for the 11:15 flight.

are you leaving your car at the travel inn car park? if so the car park is attached to the hotel. so you can just get the shuttle bus from reception, they run around every half hour,and i think its about £2.00 each.

hope this helps
sam

:confused: Sometimes things never seem easy. We have actually booked our car into the airport Car Park through ABC - and payment will be due for this. Does anyone know if we would actuallly be able to leave our car in the Travel Inn car park - and for security reasons would this be advisable.

And back to my first query, if we leave the Travel Inn, go to the airport car park then check in at the airport in time to have breakfast etc how long should we give ourselves.

Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter