Gay Days for Families?

Unfortunately, since I work in a school, I can't go during this time, but I would have no qualms about going and showing my support with my family. My son is a precocious 10 year old and we have already had this discussion with him and his response was if it makes them happy, then fine. My 4 year old daughter would not be fazed, either.

Maybe when I finish grad school and begin my practice as a counselor, we can swing early June. I think it would be great for my kids to be exposed to alternative lifestyles.

Go and have fun. I am sure it will be fine.

We were in WDW parks during GayDays this year with my 4 yo and 11 yo. It was very family friendly and I would not hesitate to attend at this time of year again

Go to Disney during Gay Days. It's fun to see the sea of red shirts. It's a friendly crowd and very appropriate to bring your child.

It's one thing to have a plain red shirt, which is the way it started years ago. Why isn't that enough anymore?

It's another thing to have a red shirt with the expression, "Furozen. Let It Grr" worn by an overweight, hairy guy with facial hair and a baseball cap with a bent brim, who overuses the term "woof." After all, it's a clever expression, especially considering the popularity of the movie. Or even, "I pay taxes, too." Nothing wrong with that.

However, no parent should have to explain to any child, regardless of age, while walking down Main Street USA, some of the appalling expressions I saw on some red shirts on June 7 in the MK, and in years past. And if I were to post them here, I would be violating the Disboards' TOS.

If such expressions are banned at Disboards, why shouldn't they be banned at any Disney park?

It's one thing to have a plain red shirt, which is the way it started years ago. Why isn't that enough anymore?

It's another thing to have a red shirt with the expression, "Furozen. Let It Grr" worn by an overweight, hairy guy with facial hair and a baseball cap with a bent brim, who overuses the term "woof." After all, it's a clever expression, especially considering the popularity of the movie. Or even, "I pay taxes, too." Nothing wrong with that.

However, no parent should have to explain to any child, regardless of age, while walking down Main Street USA, some of the appalling expressions I saw on some red shirts on June 7 in the MK, and in years past. And if I were to post them here, I would be violating the Disboards' TOS.

If such expressions are banned at Disboards, why shouldn't they be banned at any Disney park?

If you personally find some of the shirts that appalling and offensive, why have you gone to Gay Day multiple times? And don't forget, a growing number of gay parents are bringing their own children, too.

If you personally find some of the shirts that appalling and offensive, why have you gone to Gay Day multiple times? And don't forget, a growing number of gay parents are bringing their own children, too.

Well, even though you didn't answer my questions, I'll answer yours.

Because I'm gay and I like Disney World. How can I continue to warn people, gay or straight, about what they may potentially see at WDW during Gay Days if I don't attend during that time?

Why isn't a simple red shirt (polo, tank, T, etc) enough anymore to show one's pride, or to show our numbers?

If the expression can get you banned from Disboards for violating TOS, should the same expression get you banned from WDW?

Finally, I welcome all parents to WDW; their sexual orientation shouldn't matter. I'd also like to see more women commercial pilots and a woman president in my lifetime, too.

How can I continue to warn people, gay or straight, about what they may potentially see at WDW during Gay Days if I don't attend during that time?

So your motive for going during gay day is to seek out offensive shirts or actions and warn people?

And to answer your question, the DISBoards and Disney are not related to each other. Disney does not own or control the DISBoards. What DISBoards may not permit has no bearing at on what Disney may allow. Two completely separate companies with completely different ownership.

So your motive for going during gay day is to seek out offensive shirts or actions and warn people?

And to answer your question, the DISBoards and Disney are not related to each other. Disney does not own or control the DISBoards. What DISBoards may not permit has no bearing at on what Disney may allow. Two completely separate companies with completely different ownership.

No, Chuck. I go to have a good time. I can't selectively tell my eyes what they can and cannot look at. If I decide to go to a club, I can expect to see shirts with such expressions. If I go to the MK, I shouldn't expect to see shirts with such expressions.

I warn people, gay and straight, all of the time about the potential for seeing offensive expressions on red shirts during Gay Days. Why? Because that's the only time I've ever seen such expressions. (Yeah, I know you've seen them on straights at other times, but that's not my experience.)

Yes, I understand the two (Disboards and WDW) are unrelated. But you still didn't answer my question(s).

What's wrong with wearing a simple plain red shirt, or one with a saying on it that's not offensive ("I pay taxes, too")?

If Disboards can temporarily or permanently ban a poster for an offensive post, should WDW ban temporarily or permanently a guest for wearing a shirt with an offensive expression on it?

No, Chuck. I go to have a good time. I can't selectively tell my eyes what they can and cannot look at. If I decide to go to a club, I can expect to see shirts with such expressions. If I go to the MK, I shouldn't expect to see shirts with such expressions.

I warn people, gay and straight, all of the time about the potential for seeing offensive expressions on red shirts during Gay Days. Why? Because that's the only time I've ever seen such expressions. (Yeah, I know you've seen them on straights at other times, but that's not my experience.)

Yes, I understand the two (Disboards and WDW) are unrelated. But you still didn't answer my question(s).

What's wrong with wearing a simple plain red shirt, or one with a saying on it that's not offensive ("I pay taxes, too")?

If Disboards can temporarily or permanently ban a poster for an offensive post, should WDW ban temporarily or permanently a guest for wearing a shirt with an offensive expression on it?

Nothing is wrong with wearing a plain red shirt, many people did. I wore a red shirt with rainbow mickeys that I purchased at WDW last year. I also wore a red Carnival Cruise line shirt from Galveston during the week. But you can't impose your version of propriety on everyone. Disney has asked some people to turn their shirts inside out or change from time to time. But because you, as an individual, find something offensive does not mean that Disney also finds it so. And I've found Disney to be pretty sensitive to respecting everyones beliefs and customs...like the two finger directional point that cast members use, as some cultures find the traditional US single index finger points offensive.

If you go looking for it, you can find something almost anywhere, everyday that someone will find offensive. Even at Walmart or Publix.

But because you, as an individual, find something offensive does not mean that Disney also finds it so.

You are correct. Disney may find it even more offensive than I do.

The best decision one can make is an informed one. I want others to know, based on my experience and my experience only, that they may see red shirts with potentially offensive expressions on them during Gay Days, at a locale (WDW) where they would otherwise not expect to see such expressions. They can then decide whether or not to go to AK on Thurs, DHS on Friday, MK on Saturday or Epcot on Sunday during GD.

Disney may find it even more offensive than I do.

If they did, they would be asked to change or turn it inside out. They do enforce their standards fairly well, and there is plenty of security personnel to enforce it, both visible and unseen.

And don't forget, a growing number of gay parents are bringing their own children, too.

Why isn't a simple red shirt (polo, tank, T, etc) enough anymore to show one's pride, or to show our numbers?

If the expression can get you banned from Disboards for violating TOS, should the same expression get you banned from WDW?

Nothing is wrong with wearing a plain red shirt, many people did. I wore a red shirt with rainbow mickeys that I purchased at WDW last year. I also wore a red Carnival Cruise line shirt from Galveston during the week. But you can't impose your version of propriety on everyone. Disney has asked some people to turn their shirts inside out or change from time to time. But because you, as an individual, find something offensive does not mean that Disney also finds it so. And I've found Disney to be pretty sensitive to respecting everyones beliefs and customs...like the two finger directional point that cast members use, as some cultures find the traditional US single index finger points offensive.

If you go looking for it, you can find something almost anywhere, everyday that someone will find offensive. Even at Walmart or Publix.

The best decision one can make is an informed one. I want others to know, based on my experience and my experience only, that they may see red shirts with potentially offensive expressions on them during Gay Days, at a locale (WDW) where they would otherwise not expect to see such expressions. They can then decide whether or not to go to AK on Thurs, DHS on Friday, MK on Saturday or Epcot on Sunday during GD.

I understand where you both are coming from.

I get really hurt and upset whenever people make remarks about butch lesbians or effeminate gay guys 'shoving it down our throats', as if them being themselves is somehow inherently offensive and an attack on the straight 'ideal'. I think it can sometimes cause people in the LGBTQ community to be hyper vigilant for instances of homophobia, becoming immediately defensive whenever they perceive that someone is attacking certain elements present in our culture, as if an attack on one is an attack on all.

However, some instances are not attacks but legitimate concerns, as I believe is the case with Epcot Fan (though I may be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am). While some in our community may see these t-slogans as people expressing themselves, others may feel that they are representing us in a very poor light. I agree with Epcot Fan that some words are 'not safe for Disney' and have no place in a park full of families (straight and queer) who just want to have fun in a safe, clean (as in non-sexual) environment.

I get angry when I hear/see people being attacked for who they are and who they love, but that doesn't blind me to the insensitive actions of some people within our community. We all have a responsibility to keep Disney a safe and fun place for children, and making sure that we bear children in mind when we choose our clothing when going to Disney is part of that responsibility. Gay Days at Disney are gay days at Disney and not a Pride parade taking place in a major city, or a place to be provocative as a means of making our community visible.

I often find myself getting angry whenever anti-gay proponents over-sexualize the LGBTQ community as an excuse to keep us invisible when it comes to issues regarding children's education, media, parenting rights, etc. So I find it annoying when we have gatherings like Gay Days and people turn up wearing overtly sexual clothing (be it revealing clothing or, as in this particular case, inappropriate t-slogans). If we want to prove to the world that our 'lifestyle' is about more than just sex then we must act accordingly, and by this I mean not turning up to a family-oriented venue wearing overtly-sexual clothing.

And don't forget, a growing number of gay parents are bringing their own children, too.

I understand where you both are coming from.

I get really hurt and upset whenever people make remarks about butch lesbians or effeminate gay guys 'shoving it down our throats', as if them being themselves is somehow inherently offensive and an attack on the straight 'ideal'. I think it can sometimes cause people in the LGBTQ community to be hyper vigilant for instances of homophobia, becoming immediately defensive whenever they perceive that someone is attacking certain elements present in our culture, as if an attack on one is an attack on all.

However, some instances are not attacks but legitimate concerns, as I believe is the case with Epcot Fan (though I may be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am). While some in our community may see these t-slogans as people expressing themselves, others may feel that they are representing us in a very poor light. I agree with Epcot Fan that some words are 'not safe for Disney' and have no place in a park full of families (straight and queer) who just want to have fun in a safe, clean (as in non-sexual) environment.

I get angry when I hear/see people being attacked for who they are and who they love, but that doesn't blind me to the insensitive actions of some people within our community. We all have a responsibility to keep Disney a safe and fun place for children, and making sure that we bear children in mind when we choose our clothing when going to Disney is part of that responsibility. Gay Days at Disney are gay days at Disney and not a Pride parade taking place in a major city, or a place to be provocative as a means of making our community visible.

I often find myself getting angry whenever anti-gay proponents over-sexualize the LGBTQ community as an excuse to keep us invisible when it comes to issues regarding children's education, media, parenting rights, etc. So I find it annoying when we have gatherings like Gay Days and people turn up wearing overtly sexual clothing (be it revealing clothing or, as in this particular case, inappropriate t-slogans). If we want to prove to the world that our 'lifestyle' is about more than just sex then we must act accordingly, and by this I mean not turning up to a family-oriented venue wearing overtly-sexual clothing.

Felie, beautifully said.
We were there during gay days this year, and I saw nothing offensive (except a guy with a shirt that had arrows pointing at his shoulders that said " leg holders". He was with his wife and kids!)

It is FINE to bring the kids! This will be our 5th year at Gay Days and we have yet to see ANYTHING inappropriate. Our son is older (he will be 18 in a few weeks) ....

OMG, he's 18!? I've apparently been away for far too long.

Finally, I'm an AP holder, go often, and I can safely say that I've never seen, any other time of the year, any guest wearing a shirt with an offensive saying on it.

I have never been during gay days, but, I have seen numerous examples of offensive shirts at other times of the year. I've seen shirts advocating killing (yes, the word "kill" was on one of them) people simply because of their ethnicity and I saw a large family group repeatedly through the week with shirts assigned to each day that all had a matching homophobic daily statement of some form.

I would personally be a lot more concerned with explaining to a 9 and 11 year old why some adults think it's appropriate to dress their 3 yr old with a message of hate than to explain that a particular expression on a shirt is considered humourous to the person who is wearing it. (After all, the 9 and 11 yr old are probably starting to discuss sex and sexuality with their friends, so, I really would want to be having those kinds of discussions with them at home in order to ensure that there are adults involved in their exploratory process.) And, I think it's completely appropriate to say to a 9 and 11 yr old that you don't agree with the decision to wear a specific message on a shirt if that's how you feel, but, I still think that it's easier to have that discussion about someone else's description of themselves than about their hatred for someone else.

I wouldn't be put off taking young kids to a Gay Day, since they'd probably be too awestruck with the parks to notice things like t-shirt slogans anyway, and older kids who do notice will probably just giggle about it.

I think this point is very important. It's adults who get hung up on things, kids just laugh, or, say, "I don't get adult humour" and move on.

Not picking on you, as it is a common comment. But for most parents "that talk" is much simpler and less intense than you imagine.

I don't recall having a major talk about such things at a young age. But in the case of my best friends' little girl, it was very simple. She was 5 at the time.

Her parents and I were in the car, heading to a dinner for my birthday and her dad said to me, "Chuck, you're a nice guy, we really need to find you a boyfriend." The little girl giggled, and said, "Daddy, you can't find Uncle Chuck a boyfriend friend...he's a boy."

His wife said, "Sweetheart, usually boys like girls and girls like boys. But sometimes boys like boys and girls like girls."

Daughter said, "Oh, OK. What's for dinner?" and that has been the extent of the conversation.

Yep. It's adults who make things a big deal, not kids.

Why should a "simple red shirt" be "enough". Why can't people simply choose their own clothing?

Yep. Every time I walk through the kids clothing aisles at Walmart I'm confronted with scores of shirts for little boys that I find offensive. I choose not to buy them and if we receive them as gifts I don't let my child wear them, but, I don't go around telling people that it is dangerous to shop at Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter