Geeks On A Plane - 1/11 PTR * Postponed :( 7/2

I'm sure we will :) It's Memorial Day weekend (obviously), so it'll probably be pretty crowded tomorrow, but we're also planning on hitting up the water park, since it'll be open. We figure that if it's too crowded in the main part of the park, we can just go to the water park and get in the wave pool or the lazy river for a while :)

I've heard excellent things about Raglan Road, and Jacquie and I are actually almost more excited about that than Le Cellier or CRT :lmao: But yeah, I've also heard good things about Kona, and she was really excited about it when she saw the menu on AllEars, so she's really happy that it's back on the plan :) We may wind up cutting Captain's Grille on our last day and just grabbing breakfast at the POR food court. We'll definitely have covered the cost of the DxDP by then, so I think it'll be okay if we just grab counter service for our last breakfast :rotfl:

I'm sure we will :) It's Memorial Day weekend (obviously), so it'll probably be pretty crowded tomorrow, but we're also planning on hitting up the water park, since it'll be open. We figure that if it's too crowded in the main part of the park, we can just go to the water park and get in the wave pool or the lazy river for a while :)

I've heard excellent things about Raglan Road, and Jacquie and I are actually almost more excited about that than Le Cellier or CRT :lmao: But yeah, I've also heard good things about Kona, and she was really excited about it when she saw the menu on AllEars, so she's really happy that it's back on the plan :) We may wind up cutting Captain's Grille on our last day and just grabbing breakfast at the POR food court. We'll definitely have covered the cost of the DxDP by then, so I think it'll be okay if we just grab counter service for our last breakfast :rotfl:

Yeah I think you will be fine if you just go with a counter service for breakfast. Plus by that time you will probably be so full you'll be ready to explode! :laughing: I would love to try the DxDP someday but knowing me I would probably eat until I made myself sick!

Yeah I think you will be fine if you just go with a counter service for breakfast. Plus by that time you will probably be so full you'll be ready to explode! :laughing: I would love to try the DxDP someday but knowing me I would probably eat until I made myself sick!

One of the main reasons we're doing the DxDP is because we have quite a few 2-credit restaurants that we plan to go to. It also gives us more freedom in what we can do. If Jacquie and I do make it down there again next year, we're just gonna do the basic DDP :rotfl: We're also trying to schedule the meals so that we won't make ourselves sick, you know? :)

:rolleyes1

So Jacquie and I have decided that in October of 2011, we want to go down for a second trip so that we can hit up MNSSHP. It'd be a 3 day/4 night trip. It shouldn't be too expensive, since the plan is to do the basic dining plan and stay at Pop. It's a plan to go, but the dates are tentative because, obviously, we don't know the 2011 party dates yet, so we'll likely be booking in about a year. We'd also just be doing ME and the Disney bus services instead of renting a car, since it'd be a whirlwind trip :) Is it bad that I already have a spreadsheet for it? :laughing:

I also MAY be going in July or August of 2011 with my friend Elle. Remember the one I was supposed to go with for my birthday? Yeah, her :rotfl: So... Yeah. There may be three trips in the span of ten months for me in 2011.

:wizard:

So when I was transferring pictures from yesterday's Six Flags trip from my camera to my computer, I found these old photos from our Mother's Day barbecue.

P1050456.jpg

This is our dog, Delilah. She's a boxer-mastiff mutt.

P1050458.jpg

My brother, Josh.

P1050459.jpg

The dinner table, with most of the food. Keep in mind, this was just my parents, my brother, and me.

P1050460.jpg

Fried chicken.

P1050462.jpg

Shrimp skewers with some sort of garlic sauce. I dunno, my brother made them.

The following are from yesterday :)

P1050485.jpg

I just love this pic of Delilah :teeth:

P1050487.jpg

Jacquie, just after arriving at my house.

They finally got to our house around 9, and then we had breakfast and got directions before leaving around 10. We arrived at the gates around 11:15 or so, but then had to sit in a gridlock for about half an hour. By the time we got inside, it was almost noon. The first thing we did was hit the bathroom :rotfl: and then we wandered around for a little bit. We tried to go on Viper (a wooden roller coaster), but the attendant yelled at me about my purse and told me to put it in a locker. We walked away and then wound up going out to the car to get our water park stuff and went there instead. Great America includes admission to Hurricane Harbor, but I have no pics of that because my camera was locked in a locker that we got because we didn't want to leave our stuff just laying out.

The water park was nice, but crowded. Not only was it Memorial Day weekend, it was in the high 80s and very sunny. I'm somewhat sunburned, but Jacquie's worse. I also found out I need a new bathing suit. We managed to get on the lazy river and go around it once before they made us get out. They apparently don't let you continue around. We went in the wave pool, and then all tried to go on this family raft thing. We got all the way up to the load deck (up a three-story staircase) and then the attendant looked at me and said I couldn't go because I was over the weight limit. I asked if I could ride alone, and she said no. So I walked back down by myself. I've had issues with Six Flags and my size before. When I was about sixteen, I went on their Batman ride and the attendant literally JUMPED on the harness to get it to close on me and then yelled at me about how I was too fat for the ride and not to come back instead of just politely telling me that my size would be an issue and please wait for my party at the exit. It's the main reason I hadn't been back until this year. They claim to be all about guest service, but they're really not.

We left the water park and went out to the car to have lunch (since Six Flags doesn't allow outside food or drinks except for medical reasons). No pictures of that, again, because my camera was in Jacquie's fanny pack. Unlike Disney, Six Flags doesn't allow you to bring ANYTHING on rides unless it's in a zipped/snapped pocket or something like a fanny pack. So when I get paid on Friday, I'm not only ordering a new bathing suit, but a fanny pack from the Disney Store *eyedart*

After lunch, we went back into the park and made our way onto the first non-water park ride.

P1050488.jpg

Great America has this two-story carousel, so we went on that. We were all feeling a little heavy from lunch and the heat.

P1050489.jpg

Ian was too big for his horse.

P1050493.jpg

It was really quiet on that ride, and the breeze was nice and cool, so when they offered to let people ride again, we stayed on. We switched to the benches, though.

P1050494.jpg

P1050495.jpg

P1050496.jpg

Jacquie found this statue. She loves Tweety, so she needed to get a picture with it.

P1050497.jpg

It was pretty hot and sunny, so we kept ducking into stores to cool down.

P1050498.jpg

Which led to Jacquie trying on crazy hats.

P1050499.jpg

And squeezing various plush products.

P1050500.jpg

We didn't go on this, but I took this for my parents. Long story short, this ride used to be at a park here in the Chicago area called Kiddieland, which was built to be a place that young kids could enjoy. As such, this was the first roller coaster that MILLIONS of Chicago area kids ever rode. My parents, my siblings, and Jacquie and Ian went there as kids, and recently, we took my niece there when they were visiting last summer. At the end of last September, Kiddieland closed for good. A lot of the rides were auctioned off, and Great America bought the Little Dipper and installed it in time for this season. My mom was absolutely thrilled when she found out. The smaller blue sign in front of the coaster just tells about the history of the ride.

P1050502.jpg

We wound up in another shop, and I found this amongst the Batman merchandise. I'm a huge Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan, so I saw Watchmen because of him (and read the graphic novel before I saw the movie), so I had to take a picture of this.

In another part of that store, there was a display of hats.

P1050503.jpg

P1050504.jpg

P1050505.jpg

At this point, we were tired and waiting a little bit before we went to the Memorial Day picnic we'd bought tickets for, so we got on the train and took it around the park. It's not as nice as the WDW train.

P1050506.jpg

After getting off the train and on the way to the picnic, Jacquie met her idol:

P1050507.jpg

P1050508.jpg

And after dinner, we wound up in another shop. The blue bear was actually hers, as she'd won it in a game.

P1050509.jpg

We sat down along a walkway for a while and just people watched.

P1050510.jpg

And then eventually left the park.

P1050511.jpg

We got back to my house around 8 or 8:30 and sat on the couch watching Finding Nemo for a little while. They left around 9, since Ian had to be at work, and I went upstairs, laid down, and passed the heck out. I woke up around midnight and then went back to bed around 4am.

All in all, I MUCH prefer Disney and think this will be the last season I go to Six Flags. Between how rude their employees are, the fact that they're not accessible when you're overweight, how they gouge you on all of their prices (parking is $15 and that's to park in the FAR lot; the "preferred", closer, parking lot is $25!), and other things, I just would rather save the money and go to Disney. They don't even let you bring in water bottles. They're also claiming that Great America is the "cleanest theme park in the world", and I literally burst out laughing when I heard that. They also claim it's the "roller coaster capital of the world" and that their water park is the "best in the nation". Whoever designed their marketing campaign must have never visited a Disney park, Cedar Point, or any of the water parks up in the Wisconsin Dells.

There's very little theming. They play pop music throughout the entire park and have various advertisements throughout the entire park (mostly for Discover Card). Their photo staff is VERY pushy. We got one photo taken while at the water park and then went to pick it up, but when we were on our way out of the park at the end of the day, they had a photo guy standing there going "DID YOU BUY YOUR PHOTOS OMG NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW" and was being INCREDIBLY rude to the guests who were leaving. He tried doing that to us and Jacquie just held up our photo folder and he was all "YAY HIGH FIVE". I know he's just trying to get commission, but there's absolutely no reason to be that pushy about it.

Regardless, we are going again on Wednesday and probably a couple more times before the end of the season. My brother and I are planning on going to Fright Fest, which is right around his birthday.

So... Yeah. We had a good time, but I still like Disney better. I know I keep comparing the two, but I just like it much better at Disney.

I dunno, maybe it's the abundance of pixie dust.

:scared1: That's horrible Dana with the weight issue and how you were treated my weight has been all over the place in the past 20 yrs from 110 to 220 ( I have no idea now & that's a subject I'm not worrying about now) but the ONLY places in the world that I have not experienced such rudeness and disrespect is WDW and when I went to Discovery Cove. Six Flags & Hershey Park was a nightmare so :hug: I empathize :sad1:

I guess you hit the nail on the head once you experience Disney the others can't compare at all !

:scared1: That's horrible Dana with the weight issue and how you were treated my weight has been all over the place in the past 20 yrs from 110 to 220 ( I have no idea now & that's a subject I'm not worrying about now) but the ONLY places in the world that I have not experienced such rudeness and disrespect is WDW and when I went to Discovery Cove. Six Flags & Hershey Park was a nightmare so :hug: I empathize :sad1:

I guess you hit the nail on the head once you experience Disney the others can't compare at all !

I've been big my whole life, and have actually put on a few pounds lately because of my choice of birth control method. I want to say 'such is life', but when I've been able to go on every. single. ride. At WDW, I know that it's just the way the rides are engineered. They built them that way, and Disney built theirs to be accessible. So, like I said, this is the last season I'm going to be visiting Six Flags. Jacquie and I were talking about maybe just going up there to walk, since our season passes were cheaper than a gym membership, but then Ian pointed out that we both love funnel cake and it's all over the place there :rotfl: But yeah, when I can fit on every single ride at Disney and then get treated like that at Six Flags, I'd just rather go to Disney. I think we'll likely just use the passes for the water park and then Fright Fest.

I really think part of it is just the abundance of pixie dust at Disney and the abundance of price gouging at Six Flags, but even the theming was ruined for me because of the constant pop music and advertising. Their PA would constantly announce things about upgrading to a season pass, or where lost children go, or talk about the water park. It was just hilarious, because I kept comparing to WDW and Ian kept comparing to Cedar Point :rotfl:

and no comparison with the WDW Photopass and the 6 Flags that try to mug you on the way out ! Well friend I'm enjoying your TR & WDW PTR so I'll be checking in often...see you around the Dis !

Ugh that makes me so mad that the employees at Six Flags were rude to you! :mad: I'm sorry they treated you like that. They are probably just mad because they wish they worked at Disney! :laughing: This is why Disney makes more money than all of those other theme parks put together!

Geez, I can't believe the people at 6 flags were so cheeky, at the end of the day you paid money to go in and enjoy the park, they are paid to work there and assist the guests....not be downright rude! grrr :mad: stuff like that makes me so cross, manners don't cost a thing!

so I can understand how you kept making Disney comparisons, I did that opn our holiday last year to Spain, the theme park there was terrible, the wooden rollercoaster made me and DBF think we'd ruptured our spleens, there was some sort of gliding spinny ride that put all of our bodyweight onto our shoulder for ages thought i was going to die!I got off so shocked and sid to DBF 'Rides at Disney would never hurt you or try to kill you like that! :eek::rotfl:

but at least it won't be long till we're back in the real best theme park!

Ugh that makes me so mad that the employees at Six Flags were rude to you! :mad: I'm sorry they treated you like that. They are probably just mad because they wish they worked at Disney! :laughing: This is why Disney makes more money than all of those other theme parks put together!

Geez, I can't believe the people at 6 flags were so cheeky, at the end of the day you paid money to go in and enjoy the park, they are paid to work there and assist the guests....not be downright rude! grrr :mad: stuff like that makes me so cross, manners don't cost a thing!

so I can understand how you kept making Disney comparisons, I did that opn our holiday last year to Spain, the theme park there was terrible, the wooden rollercoaster made me and DBF think we'd ruptured our spleens, there was some sort of gliding spinny ride that put all of our bodyweight onto our shoulder for ages thought i was going to die!I got off so shocked and sid to DBF 'Rides at Disney would never hurt you or try to kill you like that! :eek::rotfl:

but at least it won't be long till we're back in the real best theme park!

I think I'm just really spoiled by Disney and the way their CM's treat guests. Especially after going through their training, you know? I know what quality guest service is, and their staff certainly doesn't provide it, even aside from the weight issues. When I bought my lunch (I forgot to bring something from home), the girl at the counter was very dismissive. I really think that the service and the pixiedust: makes a huge difference, especially once you're used to it.

Those rides sound like they had poor maintenance, though... A properly maintained wooden roller coaster shouldn't make you feel that way. Not sure about the spinny thing, since I can't do spinny things :rotfl:

Hi Firefly...Had to search for your thread! So I thought I'd post and bump it up a little bit.

Have you considered booking the Wishes cruise for the 3 of you anyway and posting on the DisBoard cruise thread? You might find that there are other people who want to do the cruise and want to share the cost of doing so with you.....?? You can always cancel if there isn't anyone else interested....

Caught up! As much as I love 6 flags for the coasters (the one we go to in NJ has some fabulous ones!), the guest service is completely lacking. They just don't care. DBF says he's been spoiled by Disney and has no desire to go to another park, because he knows they'll pale in comparison. He's not even that excited to go to US/IOA!

Hi Firefly...Had to search for your thread! So I thought I'd post and bump it up a little bit.

Have you considered booking the Wishes cruise for the 3 of you anyway and posting on the DisBoard cruise thread? You might find that there are other people who want to do the cruise and want to share the cost of doing so with you.....?? You can always cancel if there isn't anyone else interested....

We'd talked about that before we decided to nix the idea and decided that we'd rather have the boat to ourselves if we did it at all. We'll likely park over at FW, get our HDDR tickets, and then take the boat to the Poly to watch the fireworks, then go back to FW for dinner :)

Caught up! As much as I love 6 flags for the coasters (the one we go to in NJ has some fabulous ones!), the guest service is completely lacking. They just don't care. DBF says he's been spoiled by Disney and has no desire to go to another park, because he knows they'll pale in comparison. He's not even that excited to go to US/IOA!

The guest service there is really really bad. I know I'm seriously spoiled by Disney (especially having gone through their cast training), but come on. How hard is it to say hello and smile at a guest who's BUYING SOMETHING from you? You know? Anyway, glad you're caught up! Having fun? :lmao:

While I was browsing on the Dis earlier, I found a better (and cheaper!) option for our filtered water bottles that we want to get for the trip.

Bobble_Bottles_l.jpg

These are only $10 and I can (hopefully) get them at the Container Store and not have to pay shipping. Same general idea behind them, too, so this will hopefully work out better. I'm just one of those crazy people who likes having a water bottle as often as possible (I actually have a Camelbak bottle sitting right in front of me as I type this), mainly because I get dry mouth really easily. Plus, with being overweight, I'm able to dehydrate much easier than, say, my little sister.

0309_13999_mm.jpg

I also got my new bathing suit in the mail either yesterday or the day before :) It's actually really pretty and EXTREMELY comfortable on me. Obviously, the girl in the picture is NOT me.

And I have a bunch of other shirts that I want to buy before the trip :)

TSH_CAKE.png

I am a HUGE Eddie Izzard fan. Right before I moved down to Orlando the last time, I found out he was doing a gig here in Chicago. I managed to get a ticket and it was the best $85 I've ever spent on a non-Disney thing in my whole life. This refers to one of my favorite of his jokes.

TSH_STRIPBEES.png

Another Eddie Izzard shirt :teeth:

browncoat.jpg

Firefly fans will get the reference. Oddly enough, when my dad and I were resort hopping, we were at the WL and I went into the bathroom and ran into a girl wearing this shirt.

qc-worry.gif

These next three shirts are from the artist behind one of my favorite webcomics, Questionable Content. The character pictured on this shirt is Hanners, who has a severe case of OCD and is my favorite character in the whole comic.

qc-decisions.gif

This one doesn't have anything directly to do with the comic, but I love it anyway. It definitely suits me.

qc-fullofmusic.jpg

This is his newest shirt. The little iPod looking thing on it is Winslow, which is Hanners' "AnthroPC". Basically, in the QC world, there are these types of computers that literally walk and talk and interact with you. Winslow is a Mac version, and then there's Pintsize, who's different and I can't remember if he's Windows or something else.

The QC artist is coming out with a new shirt soon about baking, so I'll definitely be getting that once it goes up for sale, as I love baking.

I'm actually hoping to make beignets this weekend. I bought a candy thermometer for the express purpose of it, actually. So we'll see how that goes :)

Catching up!

I love those shirts, and that bathing suit looks really pretty. It's unfortunate how they never look as good on me as they do in the ads :lmao:

As far as the service at six flags, that is ridiculous. I most definitely would have complained to management. I know what you mean about service not being as good as Disney, Disney does seem to excel, but I notice it in my line of work too. I work at a hotel front desk, so whenever I am staying at a hotel, I really pay attention to the people working there. It's always irritating to me when I get bad service, because I know that the job isn;t that hard, there's really no excuse for it!

I'm sorry things are rocky with DBF!

Bathing suit looks fantastic!! And I love your Tshirts. I guess we may see photos of you in them at some stage???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter