Genie+ gave me a return time that ends before park opens!

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
On our way to DHS so I will let you know how it goes. Official park open is 9am. Morning extra magic hour is 8:30 for resort guests. I double checked that with the Cms at our resort last night. I bought Genie this morning and booked Slinky Dog right at 8am with a presented return time if 9:30. After I jumped through their hoops it gave me a return window of 7:05-8:05...that is entirely before the park opens!

Genie+ is already off to a miserable start.

Double check to see if it is pm.
It was and I am an idiot. We spoke to a guest service's cast member.. I wound up canceling it so I expect we will not get on slinky dog today. I booked something much earlier in the day anyway. But once again once I selected the time I went through all the confirmation screens and changed the time on the again.

So far genie plus has changed every reservation I've made right after I hit the confirmation. My replacement LL was RnRc at 9:30...after I clicked all the way through it gave me 10:10.

It was and I am an idiot. We spoke to a guest service's cast member.. I wound up canceling it so I expect we will not get on slinky dog today. I booked something much earlier in the day anyway. But once again once I selected the time I went through all the confirmation screens and changed the time on the again.

So far genie plus has changed every reservation I've made right after I hit the confirmation. My replacement LL was RnRc at 9:30...after I clicked all the way through it gave me 10:10.
That has been known and reported quite often since day 1, especially with the popular rides such as SDD.

The whole notion of Disney lining their pockets with paid Genie+ and LL is almost offensive to me. They are not selling the buyer any kind of product, nothing tangible. Instead, their paid "benefit" simply allows me to pay to skip the line and cause further discomfort to others who didn't pay the extra cost of Genie+. At the same time, they are not guaranteeing me the ability to ride certain rides or plan my days with any kind of certainty. For my extra $, I get to spend the entire day with my face stuck in my phone, having no time to take in all the sights and sounds that we have come to love. Seriously, I think Disney management are probably sitting in the board room, laughing their heads off at the absurdity of it all, while counting all their $$$.

And yet, yes... oh yes!... I will continue to vacation here...lol...totally absurd!!!

This was my experience the one and only time I purchased Genie in early November. The first time I thought I looked at the time wrong when I was booking (it was for TOT, so not even the most popular rides like SDD). Then as the day progressed, I realized EVERY time I went through the process, the time would change (and not like 15 minutes, but 1.5-2 hours!).

We are frequent visitors (like 4-5x/year), so I wanted to try this before our trip over Thanksgiving when I knew crowds would be heavy. Nope, I was one and done with Genie. FYI, we managed perfectly fine over Thanksgiving. We utilized 30 minute early entry and deluxe hours (so awesome!).

This would be an inexcusable failure even for a free system . . . for them not to provide at least a 30 second to 1 minute window where a time presented is reserved is ludicrous. I really would not be surprised to see some sort of lawsuit against them due to all of this - their descriptions of what you are paying for and how it will work is so far off from what so many people experience they're really treading a fine line into false advertising. Had this been a system that offered guests something additional to what it had offered them before you could justify a price - but they have offered the guest nothing - and I'd say it's even worse as it affirmatively interferes with your day constantly during your vacation. Going to Disney for 40 years and I'm truly disgusted by what they've done to it with this system. The few complaints you had about FP+ are dwarfed in comparison to what is going on now.

they need to fix that system, but as far as the payment, Disney was pretty much the last holdout regarding charging for skip-the-line services. None of the other parks are selling a tangible item either. The biggest issue Disney would have at the moment is for anyone who visited in the days of free fastpass feeling betrayed at now being asked to pay for a service they could previously use at no extra cost. The issue they will have in the future is that the system is not simple to use and will not be able to allocate desirable attractions or times to everyone who pays for it. Once that hits, and if it keeps new guests from coming to the parks, they will probably have to alter it.

they need to fix that system, it's extraordinarily frustrating to get sniped after you have made your selection, but as far as the payment, Disney was pretty much the last holdout regarding charging for skip-the-line services. None of the other parks are selling a tangible item either. The biggest issue Disney would have at the moment is for anyone who visited in the days of free fastpass feeling betrayed at now being asked to pay for a service they could previously use at no extra cost. The issue they will have in the future is that the system is not simple to use and will not be able to allocate desirable attractions or times to everyone who pays for it. Once that hits, and if it keeps new guests from coming to the parks, they will probably have to alter it.

they need to fix that system, it's extraordinarily frustrating to get sniped after you have made your selection, but as far as the payment, Disney was pretty much the last holdout regarding charging for skip-the-line services. None of the other parks are selling a tangible item either. The biggest issue Disney would have at the moment is for anyone who visited in the days of free fastpass feeling betrayed at now being asked to pay for a service they could previously use at no extra cost. The issue they will have in the future is that the system is not simple to use and will not be able to allocate desirable attractions or times to everyone who pays for it. Once that hits, and if it keeps new guests from coming to the parks, they will probably have to alter it.

This would be an inexcusable failure even for a free system . . . for them not to provide at least a 30 second to 1 minute window where a time presented is reserved is ludicrous. I really would not be surprised to see some sort of lawsuit against them due to all of this - their descriptions of what you are paying for and how it will work is so far off from what so many people experience they're really treading a fine line into false advertising. Had this been a system that offered guests something additional to what it had offered them before you could justify a price - but they have offered the guest nothing - and I'd say it's even worse as it affirmatively interferes with your day constantly during your vacation. Going to Disney for 40 years and I'm truly disgusted by what they've done to it with this system. The few complaints you had about FP+ are dwarfed in comparison to what is going on now.
I’ve actually wondered the same thing (the legality of the way it’s advertised and structured vs. the reality of what is - bottom line - delivered).

People are paying for a pass that’s usable all day, but can’t really be used all day. Especially with times kicking back into the late afternoon and there being a “G+ desert” in between morning and late afternoon/night. If they limited G+ purchases that would be different. But it’s sold unlimited and access to rides are limited. It then becomes kind of a chaotic free for all in which whomever has the faster cell technology and quickest fingers wins.

But more than that I think about the cases where standby wait times seem inflated. And it’s reasonable to assert that people base their purchase decision on that data. If wait times are inflated to drive G+ sales and that can be proven to be a frequent business practice I think that’s dicey legally as well.

Having a quoted return time be switched on you after confirmation seems like the definition of bait and switch to me! I haven't used the system firsthand yet but I assume there is some sort of legal disclaimer in fine print? Even then, OP's example of a 9:30a time changing to 7:05p (if I understand right) is SO far out of line!! It's no wonder one would be confused

I took wish it was like buying an airline ticket where you get to hold onto the ticket/reservation for a certain amount of time before you confirm. Even one minute would be enough time if you wanted to check with you group or double check it doesn't interfere with another plan like a dining reservation. But if you see a 9:30-10:30am time and you click on it, it should be yours. And if you decide not to get it then it goes back in the pool for everyone else.

After using Genie+ twice we found it switched our time every single time. Bait and switch. Most of the time our assigned time was switched to a later time, but we did have an instance where it switched to an earlier time.

I took wish it was like buying an airline ticket where you get to hold onto the ticket/reservation for a certain amount of time before you confirm. Even one minute would be enough time if you wanted to check with you group or double check it doesn't interfere with another plan like a dining reservation. But if you see a 9:30-10:30am time and you click on it, it should be yours. And if you decide not to get it then it goes back in the pool for everyone else.
Please keep logic out of Disney tech issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter