Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

It depends

Even on days when it's not "needed" it can depend

If you want to walk on rides in 15 mins or less then you can ride Indy once in say the morning with no line and use Genie Plus for later....if you don't mind waiting in line don't get it but if you do mind waiting then its worth it almost every day because unless it's a really dead day then the lines for most E tickets are 45-90 mins and for Cars Racers its like 90+ mins most days
If the question is about whether Genie+ is needed or not, Radiator Springs Racers being a 90-minute wait is irrelevant since RSR is not a part of Genie+.

I am a WDW regular headed to DL this summer for the first time in 6 years. I am pretty familiar with how G+/LL/ILL works in WDW, but have a couple questions about it in California.

1) Is "accelerating" just the same thing as trying on the app to refresh and get an earlier time for your booked LLs? I've heard this referred to as "playing the Genie slots." If so, then this is the same as at WDW.

2) When exactly are you able to start booking LLs for the day? I think it's not at 7am like in WDW, but when you enter the park. Does that mean if we are lined up early for RD, and they scan us in the park before it officially opens, we can book it then?

I am a WDW regular headed to DL this summer for the first time in 6 years. I am pretty familiar with how G+/LL/ILL works in WDW, but have a couple questions about it in California.

1) Is "accelerating" just the same thing as trying on the app to refresh and get an earlier time for your booked LLs? I've heard this referred to as "playing the Genie slots." If so, then this is the same as at WDW.

2) When exactly are you able to start booking LLs for the day? I think it's not at 7am like in WDW, but when you enter the park. Does that mean if we are lined up early for RD, and they scan us in the park before it officially opens, we can book it then?
1) No. You can refresh for earlier LL times (or later if you prefer), but that is not accelerating. Accelerating is when you have an MEP and that allows you to scan in for your LL time earlier than your return window.
2) I believe it is as soon as you scan in, but I'm not sure now that you mention it as I've always scanned in after the park opened. Maybe somebody else can clarify that for you.

Other than when you can start booking, it's pretty similar to WDW. If you've used it successfully there, you'll be fine at DL.

2) I believe it is as soon as you scan in, but I'm not sure now that you mention it as I've always scanned in after the park opened. Maybe somebody else can clarify that for you.
This correct. You must be checked in to the park to book LLs at DL regardless of whether you are staying in property or not. And you can start booking even if you get checked in to the park before official opening.

As a WDW Genie+ regular, I'm most excited about the differences at DL. Mainly, fishing for Multi-Experience Passes to:

1) Use them on rides that don't have Lightning Lanes (LL), like Jungle Cruise, Alice in Wonderland, Chip 'n' Dale Coaster, etc.
2) Use them to ride attractions via the LL multiple times per day.
3) Accelerate future LLs.

I can't wait to see how it works out. I'll be there March 9-11.

And I liked your EarScouts reference about "playing the Genie slots". Rob from EarScouts is the best in the world at Genie+ content. I wish Disneyland had something close to that, to explain, and have video showing execution of, the 3 differences I listed above in a YouTube video.

Last edited:
1) No. You can refresh for earlier LL times (or later if you prefer), but that is not accelerating. Accelerating is when you have an MEP and that allows you to scan in for your LL time earlier than your return window.

Has anyone tried accelerating in February 2024? I haven't seen any reports on this thread about this in a while, and was wondering if the feature was still active.

Based on your MEP experience, does this look right?

Gold Tier
------------
RotR
RSR

Silver Tier
-------------
MMRR
Indiana Jones
Space Mountain
Guardians
Toy Story
Webslingers
Matterhorn
RotR and RSR really shouldn’t be grouped at all in the tiers as they are ILL rides. I don’t know what happens if the ride is down during your time.

But the other rides you have listed seem correct for gold tier. But I didn’t make mental note of the current listings when I got a MEP from Indiana Jones

And I liked your EarScouts reference about "playing the Genie slots". Rob from EarScouts is the best in the world at Genie+ content. I wish Disneyland had something close to that, to explain, and have video showing execution of, the 3 differences I listed above in a YouTube video.
EarScouts does have a couple of videos about Disneyland from about a year ago. Not sure if he explains the things that you are talking about (haven't watched them yet).

EarScouts does have a couple of videos about Disneyland from about a year ago. Not sure if he explains the things that you are talking about (haven't watched them yet).
Right. I've seen those from late 2022. Those videos came out even before the feature to edit your LL return times came online in December 2022. And he didn't cover fishing for MEP or accelerating LLs.

I just wanted to hop on and say thank you for everyone who has posted in this thread. We were there last week and it was packed. We were lucky enough to get an MEP from SM one morning, first thing, and then another from MMRR around 10am another day. It was a game changer, knowing how to do the acceleration, and in fish for an MEP.

I was a very adept MaxPass user and it felt like that, but better because the times really were up to us.

Honestly the acceleration and fishing saved a trip that had a really rough start due to very heavy rain and then just packed ride lines that seemed overwhelming. We were able to use it all day, in both parks.

So thank you! It will be our last visit for a while, it's just gotten too expensive and honestly too busy. As a former Annual Pass and Magic Key Holder I'm sad about it, but we'll be back in a few years to see what new tips and tricks we can find.

Haven't been to Disneyland in a while. When attempting to accelerate, what do you scan at the ride you've arrived early at (if you don't have a band)? Your ticket barcode, the MEP, or the LL?

Haven't been to Disneyland in a while. When attempting to accelerate, what do you scan at the ride you've arrived early at (if you don't have a band)? Your ticket barcode, the MEP, or the LL?
We scanned the ticket barcode and it worked perfectly.

I'm purchasing DLR tickets for a September '24 trip. I did not get the option to add Genie Plus to the tickets like I have in the past, has something changed?

EDIT: Never mind. It came back. Disney IT strikes again.

Last edited:
It's been a hot minute since I did Disneyland planning! I've been WDW mode ..

Someone help me with "accelerating..". Anyone want to give me the down and dirty or shall I go re-read all the thread? Thank you!

It's been a hot minute since I did Disneyland planning! I've been WDW mode ..

Someone help me with "accelerating..". Anyone want to give me the down and dirty or shall I go re-read all the thread? Thank you!
Never mind! Found a good explanation a couple pages back! Ahhh Disneyland! Where i don't have to have a heart attack at 7am...

Remind me- at Disneyland you can't pick your time for ILL right?

Never mind! Found a good explanation a couple pages back! Ahhh Disneyland! Where i don't have to have a heart attack at 7am...

Remind me- at Disneyland you can't pick your time for ILL right?
Correct - they tell you the next available time when you look at the tip board.

As a WDW Genie+ regular, I'm most excited about the differences at DL. Mainly, fishing for Multi-Experience Passes to:

1) Use them on rides that don't have Lightning Lanes (LL), like Jungle Cruise, Alice in Wonderland, Chip 'n' Dale Coaster, etc.
2) Use them to ride attractions via the LL multiple times per day.
3) Accelerate future LLs.

I can't wait to see how it works out. I'll be there March 9-11.

Well, we were there March 9-11, and to summarize ... Accelerating LLs using a Gold Tier MEP is a Disneyland CHEAT CODE!

The key to getting that Gold Tier MEP (we pronounced it MEEP like the Phineas and Ferb character) is getting in early and looking for Gold Tier rides that are down. If you see a Gold Tier ride down, change your current LL booking to it, and start refreshing for earlier return times closer to now.

We got one at Web Slingers before 8:30am on our first day when we rope-dropped Racers. We then booked a noon TSM LL and went to use the Gold Tier MEP at 9am at TSM, and it worked, taking our noon TSM LL and letting us keep the Gold Tier MEP.

Then it was on. We went from one ride to the next, booking far out lightning lane times and immediately accelerating them. We rode every LL ride in DCA by lunch. Then after a mid-day break at the hotel, we went to DLR and used the Gold Tier MEP to ride every LL ride in Disneyland that day. Every LL ride in both parks, with no criss-crossing the park. Whichever was the closest LL ride to us next, we did.

The 2nd day we slept in and ate a sit down breakfast at Minnie & Friends, and no Gold Tier rides were down long enough to snag a Gold Tier MEP. We grabbed 4 sets of Silver Tier MEPs after 11am when we noticed Goofy's Sky School was down all day (you can't fish for MEPs in the other park until Park Hopping time starts). So that helped a little, but not as fun as a Gold Tier MEP.

The 3rd day we slept in again and entered the park at 9:30am. Matterhorn went down, but came back up 12 minutes before our Lightning Lane time. No MEP. Then around 11:30am, MMRR went down, but they only had 3pm LL return times. We snagged that, and my son played the Disney Genie Slots while we waited at the Storybook Land Canal Boats, and he snagged a noon return time. Around 11:50am, we were awarded a Gold Tier MEP! At 11:55am, MMRR came back up, so we barely got the MEP. The rest of the day was incredible. Riding every LL ride at Disneyland and going over to DCA to ride every ride there. We even grabbed a few Silver Tier MEPs so we could ride Silver Tier rides multiple times.

From 11pm-midnight, we finally used up the MEPs to ride SM and BTMRR again before getting in the Matterhorn standby line at 11:55pm.

Using Silver Tier MEPs on rides without Lightning Lanes is cool (sometimes cast members don't even scan it, like on Jungle Cruise and at Mr. Toad's for us), but risky if you try to split up your party. One time 2 of our 4 tried to accelerate a future Soarin' LL using 2 Silver Tier MEPs, and it took the MEPs and left us with 2 future Soarin' LLs. Luckily, we had multiple Silver Tier MEPs, so we adjusted, but I would have been mad had it took our Gold Tier MEP when I didn't want it to.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter