Getting around on Marathon Day

MHThread

Earning My Ears
DH is running the marathon in January, and DS and I (8 months pregnant) will be comfortably tucked in our bed at starting time! DH is wondering if he should plan to just jog/walk from Swan/Dolphin to the starting point. Another board and a fellow runner suggested it might be just a mile from point to point, which would give him some warm up time and allow him to avoid the dreaded "last bus at 4 a.m.". It was suggested I post here.

Any ideas or suggestions for him?

TIA!
Martha

Hi Martha! It's me again from the other board! I did some research and found out that from the front entrance of The Swan to Epcot is actually about 2 miles. Here is a map.
http://www.swandolphin.com/explore/location.html

Now I also took the address of the Swan and mapped it with driving directions to Epcot Center Dr. and it says 2 miles by road, 4 minutes by car but I don't know if that is just to the beginning of the road, or if that is to the front entrance. It looks like it is on busy streets or a highway scenario. He might also want to cut through the YC/BC to avoid some of the actual street and come out further down Epcot Resorts Blvd. Hopefully the map will at least give you a better idea.

Just want to add my 2 cents here...

PLEASE DO NOT RUN/JOG ON BUENA VISTA DRIVE OR WORLD DRIVE!!!

World Drive is basically a highway. No curb, no shoulder, no sidewalk, no place to jog...

BVD is a 4-8 lane highly congested 45mph busy road with lots of corners and blind spots. It's not meant for pedestrians. But that doesn't stop some... I've had 2 situations recently where some folks were jogging down the middle of the road, and nearly got run over by either myself, or some other car. There are lots of corners, and when we come around that corner at 45mph, my 40ft bus does not have time to stop, nor change lanes, since it's very trafficky. The latest guy was jogging just past sunset in ALL BLACK. I hope I'm not the only one who sees something wrong with that!

Yes, I was hoping you would see this thread Tyler. I did seem to remember that this was more like a freeway type scenario! Glad you responded!

Thanks for the input. Fortunately, DH is a pretty safe runner, so we won't have to worry about tackling that issue. So is BVD the only way to get from point A to point B? In which case he'll have to take the runners bus since I'm not getting myself and 3 yr old DS out of bed that early!

Martha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter