• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Girls' trip in October - need to pick your brains ...

bajanswife

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm a new member. I wanted to get some input from you experts!

2 friends and I are coming to Orlando to visit a mutual friend for a few days, and we all want to see a little bit of Disney, but not a huge amount. We are all gals in our 30s.

One friend has never been to Disney at all; another friend has been once, but only saw Epcot (she has no kids and isn't that interested in the Magic Kingdom, but might like MGM); the friend who lives near Orlando has been many times with friends and family who have visited, so she doesn't want to see everything again; I have been once with my hubby several years ago and saw all the parks, so there are only a few things I'd want to do again.

Assuming we would only spend 2 full days or 1 full day and 2 half days at parks, what should we do? Buy the cheapest single entry tickets? I assume they do NOT allow you to leave and return to the same park on the same day (via hand stamp)?

We're definitely going to Epcot for a full day; but what else should we do? Is Animal Kingdom worth the day price for only a half day? Would you choose MGM or Universal (hope I'm allowed to mention the "competition" LOL)? How do we show the one friend who's never been some highlights, while minimizing cost and boredom for the rest of us? Any ideas?

Also, what is the best restaurant to view Illuminations from? I read the Rose and Crown, but we wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to eat there. Anyone taken the specialty cruise to see Illuminations? Is it worth it - do you really get a better experience?

OK, I think I've asked enough for one post!

<b>Welcome to the DIS and Adult/Solo Board, bajanswife</b>. I think you can leave and return to the same park on a 1 day pass. Personally, I like the 4 Day Park Hopper. It is about $200, but unused days NEVER expire. That gives you the freedom to visit any and all the parks each day. I don't think you need kids to enjoy some of the attractions in the MK. Mickey's Philharmagic is wonderful. Wishes (new fireworks show) is worth the price of admission for me. In Epcot, I'd probably eat in any restaurant and then find a good viewing spot for Illuminations. MGM has some great attractions. Tower of Terror and Millionaire are my favorites there. If you are really into rides, I'd suggest a day at IOA. It has great coasters and the area's best attraction-Spiderman. I hope you have a great time with your friends.

As far as I know, a one day pass does not allow you to exit and reenter, but maybe that is just that you can't Park Hop. So, maybe? The four day hopper is a good deal if you may be interested in hopping around, and you can use the extra days any time, or give them away (sell, whatever...)
Rose and Crown does offer a great view of Illuminations if you are able to get a spot outside. Otherwise you can find good locations all around the Lagoon. There aren't any other restaurants that have the great view of the show, so don't make 8:30 dinner reservations somewhere else! I have never done one of the specialty cruises, although I've considered it.
All four parks have a lot to offer for both adults and children now. I don't think you'll be bored! Just look up what kinds of things you might be interested in doing, the parks have really grown!
If you have any questions, just ask. I know you'll have a ball!

I am going to agree with the other two posters. Definitely go for the 4 day park hopper and actually if you call Alamo Rental Car (apparently you do not actually have to rent a car) you can get a special 3 day park hopper for $169. This way you can hop from park to park. As the other two posters said there is a ton of fun stuff to do in all of the parks.

As far as a spot to view Illuminations go to the bridge in between France and England. Get there early like 8:30 or so and you will get a great spot right with the ledge in front of you. There are little or no obstructions depending on where exsctly you get to stand!

Have a great trip!!!

Originally posted by bajanswife
Hi, I'm a new member. I wanted to get some input from you experts!

We're definitely going to Epcot for a full day; but what else should we do? Is Animal Kingdom worth the day price for only a half day?
..........I love AK and would choose it over MGM, just because I'm not a coaster girl
How do we show the one friend who's never been some highlights, while minimizing cost and boredom for the rest of us?
:eek: Boredom?

Also, what is the best restaurant to view Illuminations from? I read the Rose and Crown, but we wouldn't ordinarily have chosen to eat there.
.........Rose and Crown is fabulous, but everyone wants an outside table!

Anyone taken the specialty cruise to see Illuminations? Is it worth it - do you really get a better experience?
..........It was absolutely incredible!! and to save $$ book the boat and then share the boat with other disers. We shared the boat in Dec. and it was about $16 pp.
:wave2

I'd agree with the 3 day hopper idea -- unless you are sure that you only want to be at 2 parks. It's such a nice thing to be able to come and go as you like, and as far as I know, LittleMissMickey is right -- you can't with single day tickets.

Have fun! My sisters and I left the kids behind with the husbands and had a girls' trip! It was soooooooooo much fun! We stayed at the GF and did all kinds of fun stuff the kids would hate (or aren't old enough to do LOL - like have cocktails around EPCOT!).

There is so much to see and do in all of the parks. Even for the adults.
Hope you and your friends have an awesome time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter